Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Torn calf muscle - treatment?

Options
  • 07-02-2007 3:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭

I tore my calf muscle about a week ago and it is proving very slow to heal. I've been applying heat in the past couple of days to it in the hope it will heal faster, but it doesn't seem to be having any effect? I haven't applied ice yet and was wondering if it would be better at this stage or is it too late?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭Domer

A torn calf muscle will take a lot longer then a week to heal. Not sure if you have been diagnosed by a professional, but you may need to me based on your comments.

If the injury is acute, which I assume it is, you should apply ice to the area as often as possible (every 4 hours if you can) for 20 mins at a time. Do not use heat if there is still pain and inflamation present, which i assume there still is. Depending on the nature and severity of the damage done to your calf, it can take anything from a few days for a minor micro tear, to weeks or months for a rupture... I dont think you have the latter.

I would suggest you get yourself off to see a professional for an accurate diagnosis and treatment. The longer you leave it would out appropriate care, the longer it will take to heal, and the more damage that will occur in the surrounding tissues.

Good luck,

Domer

Advertisement