Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The tribune letter page

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

Easygainer wrote:
    /irony
    This is funny for reasons that you will never understand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 546 ✭✭✭Easygainer

This is funny for reasons that you will never understand.

I am cognisant of the fact that full stops are not used in vb code.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭humbert

I smiled too. The original remark is self-deprecating....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,016 ✭✭✭Blush_01

I'm sorry, but if anyone had a modicum of pride in the job they were doing, they'd never write an article to be published under their name with such a blatant mistake in it. Blaming the editor is a cop out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭dajaffa

Blush_01 wrote:
    I'm sorry, but if anyone had a modicum of pride in the job they were doing, they'd never write an article to be published under their name with such a blatant mistake in it. Blaming the editor is a cop out.

And the editor mustn't have changed it cause in the editorial it's spelled serabols!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,016 ✭✭✭Blush_01

Unless the editor is going to try to avoid blame by blaming the editor (which wouldn't really work now, would it?) I guess my point is made.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭gubbie

Blush_01 wrote:
    Unless the editor is going to try to avoid blame by blaming the editor (which wouldn't really work now, would it?) I guess my point is made.
    Editor blaming the editor... ingenious why didn't I think of that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

As a former editor of the Tribune I felt it might be useful to add a bit of informed perspective to this 'debate'.
    I think it is important for people to step back and realise that the mistake was an honest one, and occured as a result of a noble objective. Indeed the paper has printed more about the plight of disabled people in UCD than any college media had in my previous six years in UCD. I don't think anyone mentioned that.
    I think it is particularly sad, as mentioned in a previous post, that there is a problem with UCD's attitude to disabled students, and indeed staff and visitors, but instead of debating this issue your attentions have instead focused on a spelling mistake.
    In addition, people seem to be under impression that Tribune has sub-editors. All the final editing is done by the Editor. Last year I counted one paper came to roughly 40,000 words. Seeing that the paper is even bigger this year and you will get some idea of the scale of the task facing the editor. If you add the fact that all of this editing is done between saturday and sunday under extreme pressure it is a testament to the Editors professionalism that even more mistakes don't come through. Again the editor is also repsonsible for a multitude of other tasks, including writing all those articles nobody else wanted to do.
    I'm not sure if anybody posting on this thread has ever edited a newspaper but I feel confident in saying that no past editor of the Tribune or Observer can say that a mistake like that would never have happened during their tenure.
    I don't think anybody at the Tribune minds constructive, not personal, criticism.
    This thread could not be described as such.

Yes the tribune are constantly on the forefront of the UCD students plight,be that serabauls palsey or students wearing yasser arafat scarves to keep warm

Burned by Panda....the shame.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

The standard of this year's tribune could do with a bit of uppage.

However it's better that we have the tribune than not having the tribune.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭terry mac

Red Alert wrote:
    The standard of this year's tribune could do with a bit of uppage.

However it's better that we have the tribune than not having the tribune.

Yeh, it has never really hit the dizzy heights of last year, which had some great features, the lunge, made up letters page etc.

terry mac wrote:
    Yeh, it has never really hit the dizzy heights of last year, which had some great features, the lunge, made up letters page etc.

Perhaps the made up letter page has become the actual real letters page?

I loved the lunge. Pissed of they didnt publish my quite hillarious confession of love to rud by a certain eng rep last year. The tribune obvioulsy doesnt know genius when they see it.

Its a pity that they don't take those funny letters anymore. Now, aside from the Turbine, the nearest thing they have to comedy is those **** Dr. Brady comics.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭gubbie

panda100 wrote:
    I loved the lunge. Pissed of they didnt publish my quite hillarious confession of love to rud by a certain eng rep last year. The tribune obvioulsy doesnt know genius when they see it.
    Who who who????

PM me ppppllllleeeaaaasssseeeeeee

I loved the Tribbers last year. I'd have even put it on equal par with the observer and had that... guy. And I'd 2 friends writing for it... now I don't :(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,885 ✭✭✭Stabshauptmann

I like that Tutors World thing, too true

• Registered Users Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

terry mac wrote:

Yeah last year was great. Especially when I featured in the fashion pages!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭fish-head

Its a pity that they don't take those funny letters anymore. Now, aside from the Turbine, the nearest thing they have to comedy is those **** Dr. Brady comics.

Those damned things piss me off so much... I gave in some Grade A comics to the Tribune. I don't want to sound cocky but they were really very funny.. and instead we have this childish, obvious, boring Dr. Hugh rubbish.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭John_C

Having had similar experience, I know how much work goes into editing Pete Mahon's Rant every week I can understand the editor letting a mistake slip past him elsewhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 310 ✭✭Spectator#1

panda100 wrote:
    Yes the tribune are constantly on the forefront of the UCD students plight,be that serabauls palsey or students wearing yasser arafat scarves to keep warm

Funny you'd write that, the article you refer to, in which the misspelling happened, was actually about one particular student's plight, the other topic you refer to is actually a letter written into the paper and, so, not really subject to the paper's general ethos of tackling student related issues.

The only person you burnt is yourself!

Funny you'd write that, the article you refer to, in which the misspelling happened, was actually about one particular student's plight, the other topic you refer to is actually a letter written into the paper and, so, not really subject to the paper's general ethos of tackling student related issues.

The only person you burnt is yourself!

Penis!

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,727 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

Panda, what the fcuk are you doing? You don't just say that to a man. Next one's a ban.

Penis!

I've started a revolution!

Panda, what the fcuk are you doing? You don't just say that to a man. Next one's a ban.

It was meant to be funny after spectaors ott use of the word in the ctn thread.

Oh no not another ban.Ive already had like a million squilion. Il be good

Yeah, I'll be good too! I wasn't offended, it was funny!

Advertisement