Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RAM configuration?

Options
  • 07-02-2007 5:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭

Hey im just after buying this http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.asp?sku=315981 ram kit to put into my machine which currently runs 1.5gb of RAM( in two parts 1 crucial ballistix 1gb and 1 crucial value 512mb) im just wondering what to do with the old 1.5gb whether i should keep some of it or not - the motherboard is an MSI K8N SLI Platinum. I had planned to take the 512 out and leaving the 1024 in making it 3gb but im told this might work out slower - i might also plan to put heatsinks on the ram and overclocking it if its vital to take the 1.5gb out - lemme know what i shud do Question - i would much rather have double ram then having to scrap the good 1gb i have :S

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭Chosen

I say keep the 3Gb. The only thing you'lose is the dual channel, but tbh, the advantages you will see with the 3Gb of memory are more important than the 5 fps you might gain on a game from going to dual channel.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

he'll only see the benefits of 3GB's of memory if the game uses 3GB's. For the majority of games, they still use well below 2GB. Personally i'd set up your configuration in dual channel and sell the rest. As you will see the benefits of dual channel no matter how much RAM the game requires, whereas having 3GBs of single channel will only show benefits if a game needs that much RAM.

Advertisement