Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Garda with attitude

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 223 ✭✭anonymousjunkie

Best of luck mate! I'd do exactly the same thing, we can't let people with this sort of attitude walk all over us.

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

lord lucan wrote: »
    if they done you on your stationary position at the lights then we should all be worried,i know i and most other bikes i see stop beyond the white line,gives you a chance to get the jump on the traffic behind you:eek:

And also gives Pedestrians less space to cross.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭gsxr1

best of luck .

I see this thread is linked to biker.ie.

look what ya started now!!!!

hopefully a you will get away with a fine;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,576 ✭✭✭lord lucan

parsi wrote: »
    And also gives Pedestrians less space to cross.

most of the junctions i stop at and sit beyond the white line are not pedestrian crossing points. there's 2 on my route that are,they have pedestrian lights and a marked pedestrian crossing which is set forward from the white line behind which the traffic stops so blocking pedestrians is not an issue. most bikers imo. are very considerate and will usually roll forward or even backwards to clear the way for pedestrians if they find they're in the way.:cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭JCDUB

Good luck lucky Charm,

I met a female Garda a few years ago in Ballymun in my car and long story short she took the car off me for no tax (over 6 months), left me in the middle of Ballymun with valuable tools etc. that I needed for the weekend, had to get a taxi home with everything and I told her I only lived down the road in Santry, not a hope of a lift home.

Months later after paying the charges for getting my car out of the pound where it lay for the weekend (as it was a Friday evening when it was confiscated) I received 5 summonses in the post!!!

All sorts of sh*te, rang her (traffic div Dublin Castle) to try to sort it out, not a hope. Went to court, had documentation for everything, the judge threw out all the charges and gave the garda a "don't be wasting my time" look as I walked out, I was delighted!!
    She was a nasty piece of work though, PM me for description, she sounds like the same one!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,444 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Luckycharm wrote: »
    Got a summons last week it was issued on the 3 sept - I did not receive it till the 29th Jan!!

What a joke. The summons definitely has to be issued within 6 months of the alleged offence - looks like they just managed to scrape that - they needed you to make the quota :rolleyes:

More than 3 months to receive the summons is utterly taking the p*ss though and makes a mockery of the 6 month rule. In fairness the judge should throw it out for that alone.

Scrap the cap!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 216 ✭✭rigormortis

Similar story with me. Drunk and disordely and breach of peace on 29th sept 05. Jan 06, Garda knocks on the door one sunday morning. My presence required in Richmond court two weeks later. Got a slap on the wrists.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 145 ✭✭cutepape

Its so funny to read threads like this.. small things.. yes they can become big if a accident happens..

Every morning and every evening when going to and from work on my motorbike I see the following at 2 big intersections. 2 lanes in each direction with a third for turning right.

I've seen that 99% of people in cars (funny enough never motorbikes) think that when the red light hits the next 3 cars are actually allowed to drive against it. Funny thing is that they have Gardai standing in these two intersections almost all the time.. but they never say a word.. unless you have one or two wheels in the yellow box. Which in it self is a offense.. but apparently driving against red isnt.

Motorcyclist like my self tend to sneak our way all the way to the stop line infront of the queue of cars so that might be a reason why I never see motorbikes driving against red light.

Wish you the best in your case Luckycharm!

Please update us when you have news :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,109 ✭✭✭sutty

I hope all goes well for you Lucky. I took that junction for a good while last year. I know it well. As long as you indicated your intent to over take. She has not got a leg to stand on. I've been stopped for speeding once before because the unmarked car kept driving with in 5 feet of my rear tire. I didn't not back down from the gard at the side of the road and gave him a lecture on the dangers of touching off a bikes rear tire. He quickly backed down and said sorry. But then again I have had a run in with a cop who openly said "all bikers are maniacs" Some gards are just anti bike and will try do you for anything.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 varaman

Can I ask the following?

Having looked at the photos, were you coming into town from the KCR side towards Rathmines?

Did you use the Bus ONLY Lane on the right hand side to pass stationary traffic before you came to rest at the top of the queue?

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,492 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

Even if he did, using a Bus Lane is not "overtaking in a dangerous manner". It is using a Bus Lane.

Complete different offence, and if the Garda wanted to do him for that, she should have.

She did him for "dangerous overtaking", and that is what he is taking on in court, nothing else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Hubritic

Was this female copper about 5' 10" with short dyed blonde hair, by any chance?

I got done by a copper like her on a bunch of made up charges. She was sitting at the pedestrian lights at the graveyard in Harolds Cross for about 20 seconds after the lights went to green, chatting to her partner, oblivious to the world around her. I overtook her where there was a continuous white line - but there was approx a five foot gap between her car and the white line.

She pulled me over and claimed I had broken the law "by overtaking where there was a continuous white line" - Like a fool I tried to correct her false understanding of the law by telling her that there was no such offence in law - it was perfectly legal to do so provided I did not cross the white line - and also since there was approx a five foot space between her and the white line I had no need to cross the white line and so I did not do so.

She got very annoyed at this point and told me I be hearing from her.

4 months later I got a charge sheet listing FIVE seperate offences she lyingly claimed I'd commited that day. I brought the matter to court but when I got there the Judge on the day was a complete asshole - he was banning people for the most trivial offences. My solicitor told me we could argue against the cop but if we did it would probably make the Judge break out into an apoplectic rage - better to try and bargain with the lying cop to reduce the charges, which we did. In the end I got a 500 euro fine and five points - all because of a lying cop that didn't even know road traffic law.

In the end the charge she insisted on keeping was 'overtaking in a dangerous manner' - because she knew she could win it. How can you prove you didn't 'overtake in a dangerous manner'? It's her word against yours everytime and the judge will tend to side with the cops.

The moral of this story is - forget about it and take the points - it'll be cheaper in the end and you'll get less points on your licence than if you try to fight it in court - I realise that is not the most principalled course of action - but it is the most practical one -

In future : NEVER do anything in front of a cop that might be construed as bad driving.

also: NEVER argue with a cop on the side of the road - it only makes them worse. Argue later in court if you like. A lot of cops won't even bother following up minor offences - UNLESS you piss them off by arguing with them.

Many of the charges you have been hit with are subjective - in order words 'overtaking in a dangerous manner' is completely at the coppers discretion - if she says you did it then for many Judges, you did it. end of story.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

these fcuking amateurs should be ashamed of themselves. not a patch on th psni or any british force.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,918 ✭✭✭Steffano2002

murphaph wrote: »
    these fcuking amateurs should be ashamed of themselves. not a patch on th psni or any british force.
    They're not all amateurs Murphaph... You can't generalise. I don't know a single Garda myself but I've been stopped quite a few time! :p

Every single time, I found the Garda to be polite and professional and I only ever got one ticket for all the offenses I was pulled for (all valid/punishable offenses). Rest of the time they let me go free.

However, that blondie seems like a right bitch with a massive chip on her shoulder! I'm sure all she needs is a proper shafting and she'll be grand...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭egan007

period

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,444 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Hubritic wrote: »
    I brought the matter to court but when I got there the Judge on the day was a complete asshole - he was banning people for the most trivial offences. My solicitor told me we could argue against the cop but if we did it would probably make the Judge break out into an apoplectic rage - better to try and bargain with the lying cop to reduce the charges, which we did. In the end I got a 500 euro fine and five points - all because of a lying cop that didn't even know road traffic law.

You were very badly advised there. No way in hell they would have got a cent out of me if I didn't break the law, no matter what charges I was threatened with. You should have fought hard, and appealed if necessary (you would have got a saner judge on appeal.)

Scrap the cap!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭Luckycharm

Hubritic wrote: »
    Was this female copper about 5' 10" with short dyed blonde hair, by any chance?

I got done by a copper like her on a bunch of made up charges. She was sitting at the pedestrian lights at the graveyard in Harolds Cross for about 20 seconds after the lights went to green, chatting to her partner, oblivious to the world around her. I overtook her where there was a continuous white line - but there was approx a five foot gap between her car and the white line.

She pulled me over and claimed I had broken the law "by overtaking where there was a continuous white line" - Like a fool I tried to correct her false understanding of the law by telling her that there was no such offence in law - it was perfectly legal to do so provided I did not cross the white line - and also since there was approx a five foot space between her and the white line I had no need to cross the white line and so I did not do so.

She got very annoyed at this point and told me I be hearing from her.

4 months later I got a charge sheet listing FIVE seperate offences she lyingly claimed I'd commited that day. I brought the matter to court but when I got there the Judge on the day was a complete asshole - he was banning people for the most trivial offences. My solicitor told me we could argue against the cop but if we did it would probably make the Judge break out into an apoplectic rage - better to try and bargain with the lying cop to reduce the charges, which we did. In the end I got a 500 euro fine and five points - all because of a lying cop that didn't even know road traffic law.

In the end the charge she insisted on keeping was 'overtaking in a dangerous manner' - because she knew she could win it. How can you prove you didn't 'overtake in a dangerous manner'? It's her word against yours everytime and the judge will tend to side with the cops.

The moral of this story is - forget about it and take the points - it'll be cheaper in the end and you'll get less points on your licence than if you try to fight it in court - I realise that is not the most principalled course of action - but it is the most practical one -

In future : NEVER do anything in front of a cop that might be construed as bad driving.

also: NEVER argue with a cop on the side of the road - it only makes them worse. Argue later in court if you like. A lot of cops won't even bother following up minor offences - UNLESS you piss them off by arguing with them.

Many of the charges you have been hit with are subjective - in order words 'overtaking in a dangerous manner' is completely at the coppers discretion - if she says you did it then for many Judges, you did it. end of story.

Yep that sounds like her alright same copper :o Did you have any previous convictions penalty points etc? I was hoping the fact I had a full clean license, no bumps anything on bike or driving car in 13 years, even unpaid parking tickets would work in my favour. It is this friday.

To the other poster I was coming from Templeogue road from the traffic lights at Rathdown motors to the next crossroads at Terenure crossroad they are only about 40ms apart.

I have been pulled over by other gaurds over the years and had no issue with them and like other posters found them polite.

Good luck on Friday Luckycharm! Remember that we're all with you in the courthouse on Friday! I'll be crossing my fingers and toes and I'm sure the justice will be made! :)

Best of luck!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭MargeS

Good Luck tomorrow!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 835 ✭✭✭miketv

any news? oohh cant wait :)

Thanks for your support just back, big waste of time court this morning - cop did not show other cop showed did not hear what she said but basically judge asked me did I understand the charge- said yes, Asked if guilty or not said not guilty- got adjourned to the 24th april!!
    I hope I get the same Judge, he was striking off 80% of the cases mainly for traffic violations!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭madrab

Noice!

Good work, hopefully it all works out well

It's a bummer you couldn't get it sorted today though... I would hate to have this hanging over my head for another 2 months... :mad:

It's a bummer you couldn't get it sorted today though... I would hate to have this hanging over my head for another 2 months... :mad:

It is a pain but not worried about it - worst case scenario fine and 4 pts I guess but I could appeal that as well. Was looking forward to it actually :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,053 ✭✭✭jimbling

wow, I just saw this thread for the first time. Christ, if you can get done for this, I should probably get locked up every time I drive my bike.
    gl to you, and good on ya for sticking up for yourself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,994 ✭✭✭ambro25

Luckycharm, only saw your thread now, and I see that it was in the Terenue area.

By any chance, was the female Garda a blonde with shortish hair, in her mid- to late-20s, about 5'7, green or blue-eyed, and with a quite 'right in your face/your volume' way of speaking to you?

It all rings a veeery familiar bell :cool: ;)

Well I won - well did not get convicted

Woman Garda short blonde hair as described above really tried to get me. First thing she said was I had swerved in front of her when taking off from the lights which was not true - just took off normally that would be very stupid.She said that I said this was F*cking B*llsh*t which was also not true, I did say after asking why I was pulled over 7 times with no proper reason that this was bullsh*t which I shouldn't have said that and it was not said agressivelly (out of frustration). I told the judge I did not use the F word or say it agressivelly - apologised for using that word. Anyway I showed my evidence, told judge that she first tried to get me by saying I could not drive my bike under my license- I produced my Full license at the time and said I could proving her wrong as it was covered. Judge had a go at me for language which was fair enough and squashed under the probationery act for producing evidence and showing up. Had to apologise to her for language, she was not best pleased :-)
    The AA had to bring my bike to the bike shop this morning was telling them about it - they all knew her she had done one of them - they has this thing against bikers. She is really agressive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,026 ✭✭✭Wossack

phew! glad it turned out well for you

well relieved I'd say!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,994 ✭✭✭ambro25

Luckycharm wrote: »
    Woman Garda short blonde hair as described above really tried to get me. (...) they all knew her she had done one of them - they has this thing against bikers. She is really agressive.

Yeah, that's her alright. Nicely done Luckycharm :)

(If there ever is a-) next time: ask her full particulars (badge no. , name, station she depends from + take her panda's reg details) on roadside, so you can lodge a formal complaint, as well as fighting it in Court ;)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement