Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish/ Trad Guitar

Options
  • 07-02-2007 7:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 768 ✭✭✭

Hello,

After years playing rock and blues and the like I have started to get more interested in trad music. I met a chap who played me some simple enough stuff but it blew me away, nice finger picking and strumming, sad chords!
    Unfortunately I only met him the once and did not get a chance to pick his brain.

I'd quite like to play some finger style things but what I'd really like to know about is the style of accompaniment and rhythm guitar that is played in your typical pub session.
    I always like to play reggae and funk rhythms so I like to think my sense of rhythm is reasonable enough , it cant be to far away from this type of thing?

So who are the players/ recordings I should be listening to and do you know of any resources in particular, DVD's , books etc that are worth picking up?

Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 2,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Oink

Arty McGlynn (when he plays trad - he recorded some great stuff with Paddy Keenan)

Paul Brady:
    http://www.amazon.com/Andy-Irvine-Paul-Brady/dp/B000005CRX

I would be surprised if you didn't cry (of happiness and/or frustration) at some point or other while listening to this one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 768 ✭✭✭Jelly 292

Thanks Oink, I'll check it out, with the Kleenex handy!

Advertisement