Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garda bikes.

Options
  • 07-02-2007 8:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,629 ✭✭✭

What make are the Garda bicycles? and are the bikes any use?

I have never seen a Garda doing any sort of speed on their bike as they are usually crawling along talk to another Garda on their bike

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 16,582 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

not sure but they are from one of the 'police bike' suppliers like smith & wesson, with custom paint. they are a pretty std mountain bike but built for strength rather than speed. the do the job they are required to do I guess.

http://www.cycle-force.co.uk/products/bikes/perimeter.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭uberwolf

daveym wrote:
    not sure but they are from one of the 'police bike' suppliers like smith & wesson, with custom paint. they are a pretty std mountain bike but built for strength rather than speed. the do the job they are required to do I guess.

http://www.cycle-force.co.uk/products/bikes/perimeter.htm

well you learn something everyday.

That looks like them alright.

I always thought they were a fairly cheap looking number, and that the Gardaí weren't exactly wearing the most comfortable clothing in the world for the task either

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,483 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Need to see more Gardai around on them tbh, can't see crap when their in a car

• Registered Users Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭vasch_ro

The original bikes in the pilot scheme were from different manufacters, however now they are standardised and its a make I have never heard off something like BB bikes I will check tomorrow (its not smith and wesson)

Trampas not sure why you would like to see a bit of speed , but rest assured I can get plenty of speed when needs be, (no ones gotten away from me yet man or machine:) )
    When I am cycling I find the general public are mostly a little more slow paced than myself, but if you were on a bike for 7 plus hours a day I think you would conserve energy as well. ....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,883 ✭✭✭Ghost Rider

Are you a Member?
    vasch_ro wrote:
    The original bikes in the pilot scheme were from different manufacters, however now they are standardised and its a make I have never heard off something like BB bikes I will check tomorrow (its not smith and wesson)

Trampas not sure why you would like to see a bit of speed , but rest assured I can get plenty of speed when needs be, (no ones gotten away from me yet man or machine:) )
    When I am cycling I find the general public are mostly a little more slow paced than myself, but if you were on a bike for 7 plus hours a day I think you would conserve energy as well. ....

• Advertisement

Yes (but only for 8 hrs a day !:) )

• Registered Users Posts: 1,883 ✭✭✭Ghost Rider

I'm sure that's plenty!

Tell me this much: has anyone ever managed to rob a Garda bike?

If you caught some gouger trying, I'd say you'd give him a fair crack of your pump.
    vasch_ro wrote:
    Yes (but only for 8 hrs a day !:) )

• Registered Users Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

They're cr@p bikes and weigh a tonne. The Gardai on them have to fight for any expenses - like a decent headlight! I was talking to one Garda who paid for his light himself because the standard one was so useless.

If you're looking for more info on the gear available to them, check out the International Police Mountain Bike Association site.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

their bikes are poorly maintained crap heaps. they dont know how to use them, they get 'trained' in st annes park, the police acadamy were there on wednesday , which entertained me for ages looking at them try to go off road and use gears, they are a joke, id be fully confident of out running a guard on a bike after seeing how poor they are, hit any sort of drop or jump and your away.
    the only thing they managed to do was **** up my jumps, so thanks lads:mad:

• Subscribers Posts: 16,582 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

kona wrote:
    their bikes are poorly maintained crap heaps. they dont know how to use them, they get 'trained' in st annes park, the police acadamy were there on wednesday , which entertained me for ages looking at them try to go off road and use gears, they are a joke, id be fully confident of out running a guard on a bike after seeing how poor they are, hit any sort of drop or jump and your away.
    the only thing they managed to do was **** up my jumps, so thanks lads:mad:

i don't imagine chasing you on your bike is high up on their list of priorities, however i'd be worried that they now know your plan of leading them to a drop or a jump. they will probably have the helicopter on standby for when they go after you after you gave that away :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,987 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

has anyone ever managed to rob a Garda bike?
    That would not be possible. One can only rob a person or an institution. You could steal one though! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

ye i dont think i am but, was funny all the same untill they wrecked my doubles,,dicks..at least i can build em bigger now.

The bikes are BH Bike brand, I believe they are supplied by Eurobikes,
    I also heard that a Garda bike was stolen from Dame Street at about 2am by a drunkard when the silly Garda did not lock his bicycle (he should have known better!!!)
    as for being poorly maintained crap heaps I think the term sweeping generalisation comes to mind, I admit they may not be the best mt bikes in the world , but they are perfect for the job intended, the local bike shop has the contract for servicing our bikes and I just drop them regularly for servicing and spares etc etc and there is never any problem, I got better lights, tyres and pedals for our bikes and just got the shop to bill the state.

I have no doubt that that Kona you could outrun most Gardai off road, but the people you saw training in St Annes for many of them it was their first time on a bicycle in at least a decade, a lot of the people who apply for the bikes have a high level of fitness and play other sports to a high level and can move the bikes when needs be. I have cycled all my life and I have yet to meet a cyclist or criminal that has gotten away from me ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭TheNog

The bike course is two weeks long and I've heard it is quite tough. Not everyone makes it through

• Registered Users Posts: 24,987 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

vasch_ro wrote:
    I have cycled all my life and I have yet to meet a cyclist or criminal that has gotten away from me ;)
    I had a vision of you catching up with a bankrobber who had a BMW M5. :D Presumably you mean a criminal who is also on a bicycle.

vasch_ro wrote:
    I have cycled all my life and I have yet to meet a cyclist or criminal that has gotten away from me ;)

I'd give these lads a fighting chance ;)

unfortuanately the BBC have put a copyright claim against that clip, so I will have to graciously assume that your correct, no doubt a BMW would escape me too. although with good local knowledge you would be surprised how you can head people off at the pass.....:)

it was from top gear, a peugeot 206 racing 2 lads over 6 miles in an urban area. The lads were doing the 'parkour' routine. Sufficed to say the lads won, comfortably

• Registered Users Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭humbert

I worked in a garda station for a while and some of the guards on the cycling unit, or whatever it's called, where absurdly fit. maybe not the most experienced off road but I wouldn't outrun them!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,829 ✭✭✭Alkers

There was another similar one of a Freerider on a DH rig against a car, included the bike jumping over the car, can't remember what car it was though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭onesoma

vasch_ro wrote:
    they are perfect for the job intended

what is the job intended? purely law enforcement, or some % law enforcement other % public relations?
    the people you saw training in St Annes for many of them it was their first time on a bicycle in at least a decade
    I have cycled all my life

you've cycled all your life- therefore when you cycle on duty you obey all the rules- don't cycle on the path, don't go the wrong way down one way streets, don't break red lights etc? except in an emergency of course.

this is the thing that really pisses me off about gardai on bikes - they give an incredibly bad example to other cyclists. it appears to me that the way gardai cycle on bikes is the standard method of cycling the gardai expect and will accept from the public.

at least the gardai driving cars around the city are civil enough not to flout the rules except when necessary.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Foxhunt

vasch_ro wrote:

I really don't care how fast or expert the Gards are on their bikes, I am just happy to see 'em nailing the sneaky little sh!ts scooting up the cycle lane on the Merrion Road. One of these days some cyclist is gonna get creamed by one of these little bar-stewards.

• Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭robfitz

Foxhunt wrote:
    I am just happy to see 'em nailing the sneaky little sh!ts scooting up the cycle lane on the Merrion Road.

Really? The majority for the on-roadway cycle track along the Merrion Road is marked with a broken white line (RRM 023). Mechanical propelled vehicles are allowed drive in and long a cycle track marked with a broken white line.

From my understanding of the relevant legislation, such a road marking does not represent a separate lane of traffic. So mechanical propelled vehicles should actually be required to drive in it, also mechanical propelled vehicles which are overtaking a slower moving cyclists would be required to indicate.

So if the drivers of mechanical propelled vehicles are being changed it's likely to be for the wrong offence.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭King Kelly

:) If you plan on outrunning a Garda MTB avoid Gorey, Co Wexford.

One of the team is a former A cat rider with several FBD Ras's under his belt and currently rides as a Vet with the Murphy & Gunn team!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,626 ✭✭✭timmywex

the garda bikes are lovely bikes. but heavy if you have to heave it around all day!! they run very smooth and are well serviced(strange for the gards??) i know this because i happened to be on 1 b4 it was realeased into service in wexford, it wasnt kitted out yet, anyone know if they have sirens or lights maybe to try and tell traffic they are coming??

Advertisement