Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

How to buy a car in uk and bringing it here

Options
  • 07-02-2007 8:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,999 ✭✭✭

Hi all.

sorry, i know its been told and retold, but cant get the search thing working.

i need urgent info as this will be happening in the next 2 weeks.

My brother is in uk and will be giving me his car. he's not sure of procedures. What documents does he need to have?
    what authority must he contact?
    How does he transfer ownership to me?

what will happen is: he'll drive the car over from uk to dublin and hand it to me.

i will then get it VRT'ed, (Tax is the same thing right?) and NCT'ed and insured here under my name.

but the question that arises is : what documents does he need to be able to transfer it to me and exporting it ifrom uk?

there's something here that we dont quite understand:

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring/BuyingAndSellingAVehicle/ImportingAndExportingAVehicle/DG_4022582

thank you all or anyone who can help.
    is there anywhere i can call to ask about those things?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭Moanin

There used to be a brilliant sticky on this board regarding importing from the UK.Everythiung you need to know is on this along with peoples (including myself) experiences.Do a search on this board!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭kdevitt

You need the full V5...thats all.

You hand in the V5 at the VRT office when registering it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,999 ✭✭✭Spipov

i need to get a vrt form (vro) i think. must it be the proposer/owner himself that has to go get it?are their stuff to sign for or anyone can get it? i dont have time during the week to travel to tallaght or santry (by bus!)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭cjt156

BTW VRT is Vehicle registration tax, a once off payment. Not the same as road tax, an annual (at least) payment. You will need both.

you can calculate your VRT here https://www.ros.ie/VRTEnquiryServlet/showVRT

calculate yes, i know how much, thanks for the calculator, im just wondering about picking up the form itself.. do i have to be there personally or anyone can get it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭Moanin

You have to fill it in in the VRT office when paying the VRT

A copy of the purchase invoice or other evidence of payment for the vehicle must be provided in all cases.
    You should be aware that inspection of vehicles being registered is a possibility and you should be prepared to make your vehicle available for any such inspection.

Postal applications for registrations of used vehicles may also be made at Vehicle Registration Offices. When making a postal application for registration the application should consist of:

1. completed VRT 4 or 5 (as appropriate);
    2. a copy of the purchase invoice if available;
    3. the foreign Registration Book/Certificate or Export Certificate from the foreign licensing authority;
    4. a bank draft or personal cheque (see 5 below) for the amount of VRT due;

number 3: whats that? i called the vrt office the other day and they said i just need the v5 from the previous owner (ie my brother). does he have to fill in anything from the other side?

he said usually when u sell a car, u get a temporary slip from the v5, the old part goes to the DVLA. VRT office here said no need ,bring the whole thing and they will fill in what is necessary and send back.

so basically, i just have to bring the old v5, fill in the vrt forms at the office and be done?
    whats the export thing?

also, since my brother is giving me the car, should i make him make a receipt for say, 1 GBP that i bought the car?

Advertisement