Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

vets?

Options
  • 07-02-2007 9:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 866 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Recently my cat has been very ill and visiting the vets alot. She has got kidney failure and massive mouth ulcers which are dripping goo. Poor thing is just sitting in a box under my desk and can barely walk and hasn't eaten anythign last 3 days, jsut drinking. We brought her to the vet last night presuming he would suggest putting her down because of the state shes in. He jsut gave her an antibotic injection but it seems to have done nothing and shes getting worse and worse. He said bring her back on sat and we'll look at her again.
    She was kept in about a week ago for 2 nights, had a blood test and given some tablets which seemed to have no effect. For this we we charged nearly €300. She had no surgrey or not even a drip or anything.

I love her to bits but shes so unwell at this stage she'd be happier if she was put to sleep and we aren't too happy with the treatment shes been recieving. Can anyone suggest a vet in South dublin area which we could bring her to?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 940 ✭✭✭Tabitharose

argyle & bainbridge in dundrum / stillorgan

very sorry she's so ill

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 animalhelper

poor cat,are you near clondalkin?
    if so castle vetinary clinic are very good, they saved my dogs life!!;)

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭artieanna

That sounds extremely mean fisted of the vet charging for a service that is not working:mad:
    I'm sure you're consumer rights are being abused.
    I'm afraid I don't know what you can do though...

You're poor cat still left suffering at such a high cost, that's terrible...Did the vet diagnose the cat, whats the cause of the ulcers etc?;

I agree she probably would be better put to sleep...poor thing...
    definitly try another vet if at all possible..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭FranknFurter

Post here -> http://kittenadoption.proboards80.com/index.cgi and mark it URGENT in the title, somone will no doubt be able to give you the best advice relatively quickly.

So sorry to hear about her, recently suffered a similiar experience myself, an atrocious vetinary situation (gods I wish I could name and shame here).

B

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭Garth

Beaufields in Celbridge are the very best. Apparently there's also a very good one in Blackrock, and I've heard great things about Castle Vets in Clondalkin too.

Good luck. It's horrible seeing your baby suffer like that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Jules

This may sound quite harsh, but she is your pet, tell the vet you want to let her go. You know her better than any other, and you can she that her quailty of life is basically zero. Thats what i would think by what you are describing. I work in the field and sometimes think that vets can just take things too far, and a lot of it is money grabbing, personally i think it is just disgraceful. Tell him/her that you have had enough and that she is miserable. Take control and do what is the right, but very hard, thing to do.

Best of luck Rockie, please let us know how things go.

• Registered Users Posts: 866 ✭✭✭Rockiemalt

Thanks for the advice everyone. Gave her another antibotic injection today but shes just getting worse and worse. I understand sometimes treatemnt doesn't work but its totally obvious to anyone how sick she is and the vets jsut said oh this will defineilty work that will defineitly work.

Hopefully we can do whats best for her very soon.

Rockie, you are her owner.. you have the responsibility to do what is best by her. At the end of the day the choice is yours. If your Vet is irresponsibile enough to let her continue then go to someone else and explain the suitation.

Take a stand and do what needs to be done for her, if you feel thats what has to be done.

Flopsy has gone to the big cat heaven in the sky. We brought her to UCD vet place and they were very nice and understanding. Thanks for the advice here.

• Registered Users Posts: 940 ✭✭✭Tabitharose

so sorry she's gone :(

• Advertisement

Hard thing to say but by the sounds of her condition, you did the best and most unselfish thing for her. My thoughta are with you.

Jules

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

You did the right thing and ended her suffering. Shame on that vet! I had a cat with kidney failure and it was not a pleasant thing to watch, as soon as the mouth ulcers developed I just couldn't let him suffer anymore he could of laster longer but it would of only been for my own sake and not his.
    It was the least I could do for him.
    Would suggest selecting a different vet if you have any more animals or get anymore. Not your fault when a proffesional tells you something like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭morgana

Sorry to hear about your cat's death. You did the right thing, hard as it must have been. And I can only second what GPR has said, look for a better vet should you get another cat eventually. Being in the country :D, I found it very hard to find a good caring vet particularly for cats ( I have now, though) :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

My cat is on his last legs and I want to do the humane thing but its sunday and I cant get any vetinarys on the phone. I rang ucd and a few local places but no luck. Just dont want him to suffer any more. He has FIV. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 21,467 ✭✭✭✭Alun

What did UCD say exactly? There's supposed to be a 24/7 service at weekends / public holidays. What number did you ring? Try ringing the Pet Emergency Hospital number 1890 564 036.

Good Luck.

He past on. Just have to bury the little fella now. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 21,467 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Hal1 wrote:
    He past on. Just have to bury the little fella now. :(
    Sorry to hear that .. hope he wasn't in too much pain at the end :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭morgana

So sorry to hear that - can only echo Alun's comment that his passing was as painless as possible.
    When my "old" cat died I was heart-broken and putting him into the ground was a very hard thing to do :( My thoughts are with you

Hi Hal. Sorry to hear about your cat. I know its hard and stuff. Had to get my parents to buy my cat cause I couldn't! It gets easier though and I'm sure you've got loads of great memories from your cat :)

Thanks for the kind replies. The past 2 days have been difficult without the cat being around he was 14 and lived a good life, and hes not suffering anymore. :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement