Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

are you studying yet?..

• 07-02-2007 10:26pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭

im not :o:(:o

i mean i want to but i dont know where to start and stuff, does anyone else have this problem and possibly a solution for it?..

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,469 ✭✭✭weeder

i have your problem

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭qwertplaywert

i dont really have a solution.the day before yesterday[my pres started yes] i sat down at my desk and studyed home eco by readin,and reading and reading.........i though i was doing it for ages........turned out it was onyl 15 minutes!
    then i did what everyone always says: i read something, wrote it down , then read it again, and then tried to write it down with the book, then compare my notes with the book, then circle my mistakes and do it again till no mistakes!
    same thing happened as reading,got boring real quick, and same amount learned!
    so basically, just read the books over and over until you cant anymore,take a break, then go back!
    i've done 1 hour this evening for maths[paper 1 tomorrow] plus i done 1 hour maths grind today, and have done 35 minutes businness[ paper 1 tomorr]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,893 ✭✭✭Davidius

Sitting down and reading a book you have no interest in to study is probably a bad idea. You'll probably find that you can't remember what you read 10 seconds ago a few minutes in.

It seems that a better method would involve a bit more activity then reading, say pacing while reading notes to yourself. It's a lot more effective in my opinion. Especially in instances where you haven't studied and the exam is tomorrow. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 980 ✭✭✭macroman

Studying is difficult, I found that out the hard way. I didn't to any studying for the Junior Cert (got 8 hons + 1 pass ;)), mainly as I couldn't set my mind to studying. A good way to study is to turn on the auld iPod and read over a passage a few times. It's a sort of sibliminal studying, worked for me in Science :)

god,i got a science honours pre on mon, only know the physics part of the book,i literally have to learn the chemistry and biologoly parts over 2 days

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭Acid_Violet

A good place to start is with homework in past exam papers. Just do it using your books and that way you know what way to approach the question and you'll probably get a good idea of what'll come up. Then learn that piece and move on to the next bit. Do it in small bits and make sure you pay attention, otherwise it's not worthwhile.

Remember; your attention span is at it's highest for 20 minutes before it starts to lapse. A short break every twenty minutes or so will pay off better then hours on end of relentless study. Don't spend hours working, just get it into your head concisely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭cedomination

my best advice would be to go through your exam papers.
    its not as boring as simply reading through your textbook.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭Haven't a Clue

My tip: whatever the hell you do, don't worry.

I did the junior two years ago and didn't study much for it. Still got 4 b's, 5 c's and a d all in higher. Chill out, do a wee bit here, wee bit there, and you're sorted...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,626 ✭✭✭timmywex

Remember; your attention span is at it's highest for 20 minutes before it starts to lapse. A short break every twenty minutes or so will pay off better then hours on end of relentless study. Don't spend hours working, just get it into your head concisely.

you're wrong.....it takes 5 minutes to get up and ten stays afor 20 mins so you should do your work in 30 min blocks...25 mins work and then a five minute break

still have not started studying for science tomorrow
    will take timmywexs advice
    and do it maybe over 2/3 hours

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 421 ✭✭superdudeman007

nope

timmywex wrote:
    you're wrong.....it takes 5 minutes to get up and ten stays afor 20 mins so you should do your work in 30 min blocks...25 mins work and then a five minute break

Fair enough. The point is that pointless cramming and stressing for hours doesn't pay off, I hope.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭X-Ecuti0ner

I decided that i would write everything down that i studied. I could remember most of it. The next weekend i forgot it all.. lol! I have just given up on that and i just read the book. I try to read out load so i don't forgot what i read.

I suppose everyone has to find their own way but mine worked to 100% success; cheating the system. I didn't really learn, just learned what would I to know for the test, eg. learning 10 points on one subject for history that will come up so I'll get the full 20 marks, learning off common verbs for lanrases for languaaguages and useful, impressive and versatile phrases for languages, rote learning for stuff that obviously WILL come up in exams, learning off loadsa points for english that could be used in many different exam questions. I didn't find reading the book helped, reading it, then thinking about it, coming back to it later and especially before the exam did.

X-Ecuti0ner: keep that page, look over it again, especially before the exams and add to it. Good notes like that will be useful in the longrun. You've clearly good short-term memory so cramming should probably work for you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭Seloth

I didint study till the last day for my pre's and got a C average.I failed Spanish and Irish but no big deal,I knew I would but I only got 2 d's in Sci and Maths.

But I am attempting to study so I'll get a good few B's.But I can't get into the mood for it.Well I do but that happens at 10:30 at night usually.

didnt start yet......was gonna go some 2nd week of easter holidays, but doing 2 grind days that week,so will start studying in after school study when im back after easter
    1 hour and half study

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,626 ✭✭✭timmywex

havent got around to really be bothered yet, i count this as my last week of freedom and im starting during the easter holidays and then getting down to it after that, a bit of study should do, got 5a's and 6b's in the mocks with mimilast study with the lowest result being a 79% so might push a few of them up a bit

#Elites wrote:
    you didnt cheat the system...most teachers will tell you whats probally going to come up! but they obivosuly cant say to you just to learn that..

I mean learning some stuff that typically comes up. For example, options b, c and d in question 6 for history are all topics covered in third year and usually concern anglo-irish relations (in some way) and WW2/post WW2.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Conor108

Has anyone not started yet? I'm starting tomorrow now that Easters over :( 6 weeks to go right?

7 weeks on tues for me i think
    also starting tomorrow
    gonna try and get through after school study[1 hour and half] doing work, homework and study...den in about 2 weeks maybe start studying at home as well ,for maybe half an hour a night
    then 4 weeks before junior, 1 hour a night study at home, plus 1 hour and half study at afterschool, also extra time for home work
    3 weeks to go, 2 hours at home[including homework], and study at after schoiol study.....then the week off, none stop!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭shanethemofo

I suppose everyone has to find their own way but mine worked to 100% success; cheating the system. I didn't really learn, just learned what would I to know for the test, eg. learning 10 points on one subject for history that will come up so I'll get the full 20 marks, learning off common verbs for lanrases for languaaguages and useful, impressive and versatile phrases for languages, rote learning for stuff that obviously WILL come up in exams, learning off loadsa points for english that could be used in many different exam questions. I didn't find reading the book helped, reading it, then thinking about it, coming back to it later and especially before the exam did.

Lol thats not cheating the system.
    Thats Studying summed up. :rolleyes:

Conor108 wrote:
    Has anyone not started yet? I'm starting tomorrow now that Easters over :( 6 weeks to go right?

Phew - I'm not the only one thinking like that.

I suggest you get notes from websites like skoool.ie for history, geography, science etc. For languages, get all the points they want for letters photocopied and translate them online (babelfish.altavista.com - double check it though because it's coming from a computer) becaude the same things come up all the time.

That's worked for me up to now. I started about 4 days ago and it's going pretty well :D

aye
    started tonight, 20 minutes of history,i know its no where near enough, but meh, better than nothing,and i learned something, so good to biuld on that for tomorrow

My summer exams have always been pretty good without studying too much anyway :D

Advertisement