Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Smoke detector beeping after battery change

Options
  • 07-02-2007 10:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭

I have just changed the smoke detector battery and it is now beeping as if it needs to be replaced. And just as a test I put back in the dead battery and the beeping has stopped.:mad:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭viking

Is the smoke detector of the type that can be connected to the mains?

I have two of these type of alarms in my house and I couldn't figure out why the batteries kept going so quickly. It turned out that the connector that connects the mains to the smoke alarm had become loose so that it wasn't making a connection when the alarm was replaced. This resulted in the batteries being quickly drained.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

If its solely battery powered then it's possible that the new battery is dead. I assume it's a 9 volt battery - do the tongue test!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭Salem

My electrician who has just fitted mains type smoke detectors told me that if 1 detector starts to bleep it would be wise to change the batteries on them all as the other batteries will not be far behind ! ...

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Yeah they are mains type detectors. Will have a look at the wiring so. I'll pass on the tongue test thank you :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,338 ✭✭✭hobie

I'll pass on the tongue test thank you

I think I would as well ..... :p

Whenever I change a smoke alarm battery I tape a small note on the new battery with the date of installation and always use the longest life (and most expensive batterys) available ...... cheap batteries last a year max ....

I have 5 alarms and find good batteries last 2,3 or even 4 years .....

and of course don't forget to test them now and then .... :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
Advertisement