Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Absolutely no question - Stan has to go!

• 07-02-2007 10:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭

I honestly didn't budge a bit when Ireland scored that last second goal. If Stan doesn't resign he must be sacked. If he's not sacked it's up the us as fans to do something about it.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 743 ✭✭✭Mad Dog

Not often I would ask for any manager to be sacked but this time I will cos that was utter cack and please John Delaney go with him too because Staunton wouldn't be here if not for him. :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,109 ✭✭✭ThE_IVIAcIVIAIV

i still as want staunton to go as much now and when they equalised...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 245 ✭✭boy_wonder

I nearly hit my head off the roof when we scored!!!

Stan out alright but i'm looking at the bigger picture. hopefully something to play for come slovakia/czechs so i have an excuse to go:)

Felt sorry for san marino

• Closed Accounts Posts: 402 ✭✭Energizer

He has too go!! absolutely ridiculous!

If he is not sacked, i will fly back to ireland from new zealand, and take care of the problem myself!!! ;) :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭bizmark

Yep stan out

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

Aldridge has just said there's hope of us qualifying.

That's him off the list of replacements so.

and also felt sorry for kerr on tv3 commentary. what must he be thinking??? loosing his job and having to put up with trevvvooor welch for that pcrik

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,800 ✭✭✭county

never seen this thread coming

stan should go but he won`t

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

boy_wonder wrote:
    I nearly hit my head off the roof when we scored!!!

Stan out alright but i'm looking at the bigger picture.
    The bigger picture is we won't qualify with Staunton in charge. Winning the match means he actually might be in charge come next month.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,640 ✭✭✭Gillie

Has to go.
    The win was not enough this evening!

We're fúcked big time!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

he must go while there is some sort of hope in qualifying

John Delaney must go too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

fair enough the calls for stan to go are fairly justified after tonight. but who else have they to pick an alternative from? sweet f*ck all...

i actually think bring in someone from the eircom league and field players from it instead of these so called professionals... at least the boys from the eircom league would be up for the games...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

He really really does have to go. We all new he had no experience as a manager, but we assumed he did pay attention around managers he's dealt with over the past 20 years or so.

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

Two embarrasments in competitive competition are enough for me. I can't believe Ronny Whelan is making excuses for Stan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Similar thread after the Cyprus game, and I made a similar post, but the FAI needs to restructure everything from grassroots, where there is plenty players coming through, where we have plenty good coaches at home, who can assist in the development of young players in Ireland.

Tonights performance was absolute dross. Worst ever. Now, while agree now that Staunton should go, I must ask, what pride of the players? FFS San Marino are eircom League Division One reserves at best IMO. Ireland players shoudnt have needed a team talk here, it was all about giving themselves a good boost before some tougher games. The fact they all played like idiots (excuse Kilbane and S Ireland) isnt entirely Stans fault.

Crap crap crap, but no doubt there will be soundbites from Merrion Sqaure to say they are still on course :rolleyes:

if we lost we'd be out anyway - with or without that knob!!!

I'm an Irish supporter and i support the team - not the players fault he's in charge!! At this stage in the group we wont gain anything from sacking him - he should have went after the cyprus game but gone too far now. The day im siiting motionless on that couch after we score in last minute in qualifier is the day i stop paying my hard end cash to follow/watch/support my country.

Not trying to start an argument eireboy - i see where your coming from but just call me an optimist!!

By the way, was Bobby at the match???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 911 ✭✭✭Little-Devil

Personally i think we have no chance of qualifying for the euro's and if we do we will end to be the laughing stock of the championship. I was more amused with Brian Kerr's comments, one of his on Stokes was "He was the Bees Knees when he was 12yrs old :D .

I dont think i ever cursed so much at the TV so much in my life and whats worse is that Stephen Ireland scoring the winner has only prolonged the agony further and Steve Staunton regin in charge will continue.

What were the Muppet’s in merrion square thinking when they appointed him in the first place.

If we lose at or when we lose at Croke Park against Wales hopefully the sound of 83,000 Irish fans the FA might hear us and actually listen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 402 ✭✭Energizer

I think the only viable replacement for stan is either david o'leary, unless we go with a foreign manager.

Would love to see martin o'neill in the position ! never happen though after only taking the villa job!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

fair enough the calls for stan to go are fairly justified after tonight. but who else have they to pick an alternative from? sweet f*ck all...

i actually think bring in someone from the eircom league and field players from it instead of these so called professionals... at least the boys from the eircom league would be up for the games...

I have to say I completely and utterly disagree with this rubbish. This is ridiculously unrealistic and unfounded. Tonight's result should not in any way provide a valid angle for the Eircom league diehards to push their tiresome hard done by trash - no matter how much they would want it to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 743 ✭✭✭Mad Dog

Anybody hear this fool in his aftermatch talk, tremendous spirit me arse.

Oh my god he is a laughing stock :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,801 ✭✭✭✭Kojak

Gillie wrote:
    Has to go.
    The win was not enough this evening!

We're fúcked big time!

QFT.

If he went now and the FAI appointed a new manager before the next game, at least it would give the new man (whoever he might be) time to settle into the job before the qualifications for the World Cup in 2010.

LuckyLloyd wrote:
    I have to say I completely and utterly disagree with this rubbish. This is ridiculously unrealistic and unfounded. Tonight's result should not in any way provide a valid angle for the Eircom league diehards to push their tiresome hard done by trash - no matter how much they would want it to.

I'm actually not a diehard eircom league fan, hell i've never bothered to go to a match. but those were serioulsy appaling displays... i'd rather see a team with heart go out and lose than such complacency.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,514 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

If we lose at or when we lose at Croke Park against Wales hopefully the sound of 83,000 Irish fans the FA might hear us and actually listen

67,000;) unless theres some help from the away fans.

I just felt sorry for San Marino. Mentally, the point is theirs for that match.

Good auld professionals we have, I agree, bring in some Eircom League players. They wont be getting upwards of £30,000 a week like some of those fools I saw "playing". Corners not beating the first man, free kicks straight into the wall, long shots hitting the cars on the corner...of the running track. Go down to some 5-a-side and pick those players even. /rant

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,711 ✭✭✭kaisersose77

"san marino are gonna be a handful as the group goes on"

another quote that can be added to this site

http://thinkexist.com/quotes/steve_staunton/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,723 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

The ex assistant manager of Walsall must go today -- its a disgrace -- theres a group of talented young players (most are British based) that Kerr could have gelled into a half decent team -- Delaney no more cheap Turnips are acceptable ! This is the Republic of Ireland , not Walsall reserves ! Thank God are rugby team is well organised !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 495 ✭✭Sajan

Has to have the most brass neck I have ever seen..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 868 ✭✭✭tdv

Roy Keane. You know if Ireland played like that for Keano he would give them all a good kick up the arse.

LuckyLloyd wrote:

Trash? Hard done by? What are you on about? AFAIK Lenin Benjamin isn't an eL diehard (well Ive not seen him posting in eL topics). Can you honestly say that with a bunch of hungr eL players out there tonight that the performance would be as embarrassing? Can you? Well actually you can, but your opinion will probably be formed from years of hearing crap from people who exclusively watch Skys Premiership and have never been to a domestic game in their lives.

And why should it not be an angle to use Irish players who play in an Irish league?

Appoint who?????

Face it - if we fluke to qalify or prolong the agony we'll make a show of ourselves with or wothout stan. some gd young lads coming through(stokes,long,mcshane,ireland,o'riordan,o,dea etc etc). leave stan for a year or two and move Mr Keane in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

Did Stan head one too many balls in his time? He seems to have lost leave of his senses. Even a buffoon would acknowledge how utterly sh*t we were.

Suppose that would make him lower than a buffoon...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Jonny Arson

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steve_Staunton
    Stephen Staunton (born 19 January 1969 in Drogheda, Republic of Ireland) was a professional footballer who enjoyed a distinguished career with Liverpool and Aston Villa, he also became the Republic of Ireland's most capped player. He is currently the Republic of Ireland manager.It was considered to be a strange decison as it is regarded that Staunton couldn't organise a piss up in a brewery. He was only hired because he was a drinking mate with the chief executive of the FAI John Delaney. He just doesn't have clue. He should go back to coaching ****ing Walsall.

I wasn't me I swear and I'm surprised someone got there before me!

Well, I wont add anything I didn't say 6/7/8/9 months ago. I nearly cried when Ireland equalised :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭shepthedog

disgrace from start to finish..
    The post match interview.. where to start...He is a joke , personality of a saucepan..

Cant decide which is more frustrating, watching Ireland or listening to the muppets on the rte panel calling the Czech Republic, Czechoslovakia!!! over and over and over again...

In terms of the actual issue at hand, this result is simply the worst an Irish team has managed since Liecthenstein under Charlton (Cyprus are on a different planet to San Marino).

Staunton should now be sacked - it won't happen of course, and there will be those who cry "but who else is there?". The reality is that Staunton is not a football coach / manager, and was simply asked to run before he could crawl. Anyone who has a number of years of caoching and / or managing professional footballers at a decent level - and is available - should be considered as a stopgap replacement. And the FAI should then work really hard between now and the Summer of 2008 to poach a long term solution.

As far as Irish football goes - we are in a really bad spot.

Pathetic :rolleyes: Wiki is a good source, but when people put this crap in it makes me wonder :rolleyes:
    LuckyLloyd wrote:
    In terms of the actual issue at hand, this result is simply the worst an Irish team has managed since Liecthenstein under Charlton (Cyprus are on a different planet to San Marino).

Staunton should now be sacked - it won't happen of course, and there will be those who cry "but who else is there?". The reality is that Staunton is not a football coach / manager, and was simply asked to run before he could crawl. Anyone who has a number of years of caoching and / or managing professional footballers at a decent level - and is available - should be considered as a stopgap replacement. And the FAI should then work really hard between now and the Summer of 2008 to poach a long term solution.

As far as Irish football goes - we are in a really bad spot.

Answer my question.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭StickyMcGinty

good god

worst performance in years. i saw a staunton out banner in the crowd aswell, they must have been prepared for a result like 1-1

• Advertisement

shepthedog wrote:
    Cant decide which is more frustrating, watching Ireland or listening to the muppets on the rte panel calling the Czech Republic, Czechoslovakia!!! over and over and over again...

<offtopic> one thing ill say here, that as bad as the 'oul men on RTE can be at times at least they call a crap match a crap match.
    </offtopic>

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭TheJesusWarrant

8935.jpg

"Sorry lads....I ain't goin anywhere!"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

thebaz wrote:
    The ex assistant manager of Walsall must go today -- its a disgrace -- theres a group of talented young players (most are British based) that Kerr could have gelled into a half decent team -- Delaney no more cheap Turnips are acceptable ! This is the Republic of Ireland , not Walsall reserves ! Thank God are rugby team is well organised !
    He wasn't assistant manager, he wasn't even a coach.
    gimmick wrote:
    Trash? Hard done by? What are you on about? AFAIK Lenin Benjamin isn't an eL diehard (well Ive not seen him posting in eL topics). Can you honestly say that with a bunch of hungr eL players out there tonight that the performance would be as embarrassing? Can you? Well actually you can, but your opinion will probably be formed from years of hearing crap from people who exclusively watch Skys Premiership and have never been to a domestic game in their lives.

And why should it not be an angle to use Irish players who play in an Irish league?
    No point in replying to his post tbh. It's not ignorance, it's snobbish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 373 ✭✭The1337_Stephen

Well, I wont add anything I didn't say 6/7/8/9 months ago. I nearly cried when Ireland equalised :(

I actually FOFled, pure brilliance. They deserve a medal

eirebhoy wrote:
    No point in replying to his post tbh. It's not ignorance, it's snobbish.

Just want to see him back up his diatribe, and see how many hacknied cliché will be there.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 154 ✭✭GadgetFiend

there might be a bit of take up on this..

http://www.petitiononline.com/99887799/petition.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,723 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

gimmick wrote:

The reality is that the best Irish talent is still crossing the water , and there is some decent young Irish talent playing in England -- the drain is not going to stop soon -- the EL can not match the money that is on offer across the water -- and as far as i can see the situation is getting worse -- when we had a good competetive team in the 80s and 90s they were all playing in England ! Whats needed is a manager , who can manage , and not talk rubbish and head imaginery balls .

gimmick wrote:

I do go to Eircom league matches on a semi - regular basis (8 a year maybe). I enjoy attending those games. However, tonights game and the debate of who should lead our International team exists a million miles away from the Eircom league. For tonight's game an Eircom league XI may have done better because they may have found it easier to motivate themselves - but in the long term it is ridiculous to think that there are any Eircom league players more deserving of being in the Irish squad (in terms of technical abillity and the neccesary experience - the squad must be picked from the highest level possible).

As such, this line of argument has no place in this thread - or any other thread to do with the International team. Yes, it would be great if the Domestic league was at that level. It isn't. We move on.

I do apologise to the poster with the initial post - obviously there is an Eircom league hardcore element to this forum.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,479 ✭✭✭wheres me jumpa

Im not one to call for heads, Im restraining myself right now but its getting tough. Terrible performance tonight. Topped off by that interview.

The players dont want to play for him. He commands no respect in that team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

I don't think I've ever seen a consensous like this on the boards.ie soccer forum! It really does go to show just how laughable the situation is.

Staunton out.

LuckyLloyd wrote:
    I do go to Eircom league matches on a semi - regular basis (8 a year maybe). I enjoy attending those games. However, tonights game and the debate of who should lead our International team exists a million miles away from the Eircom league. For tonight's game an Eircom league XI may have done better because they may have found it easier to motivate themselves - but in the long term it is ridiculous to think that there are any Eircom league players more deserving of being in the Irish squad (in terms of technical abillity and the neccesary experience - the squad must be picked from the highest level possible).

As such, this line of argument has no place in this thread - or any other thread to do with the International team. Yes, it would be great if the Domestic league was at that level. It isn't. We move on.

I do apologise to the poster with the initial post - obviously there is an Eircom league hardcore element to this forum.

i understand your point, and your right on the ability tbh as long as the drain exists. But still, everyone, not just Stan, deserves a kick up the arse for the recent performances. and what's a better way to do that than bringing in da eircom league boys...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

They've changed it but here's the funny version.

http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Steve_Staunton&oldid=106416674

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭sc317

The eircom League's UEFA Coefficient is better that the national team's FIFA World ranking anyway.

Delaney Out.

gimmick wrote:
    Just want to see him back up his diatribe, and see how many hacknied cliché will be there.

Diatribe?

The original post I dismissed talked about having an Eircom league manager and players representing Ireland. This would do the International team a serious disservice in my opinion. To back up my point:

Think of recent examples of Eircom league players and managers who had success at domestic level and made a go of the English game.

Roddy Collins enjoyed some excellent seasons with Bohemians before looking completely out of his depth at Carlisle (they nearly dropped out of league football under his stewardship). Colin Hawkins went over to the UK heralded as one of the finest centre halfs in the domestic game - he had to return tail between his legs a couple of seasons after. Wes Hoolohan is gradually working his way up through the ranks in Scotland and England - but is probably approaching his level in the Championship - when he was with Shelbourne he would easily have been one of the key stars of a potential Eircom XI. Richie Foran was destroying people in the Eircom league - he is approaching his peak levelling out as a solid but unspectacular pro in the Scottish premiership.

There are other examples along the above lines (and I will follow Stephan Kenny's progress with interest) - and I hope that such cases illustrate the extreme gulf in standard between the Eircom league and the upper echelons of English football. Any Irish player regularly involved in the Championship, Scottish premier (to a lesser degree) or the Premiership should automatically be selected ahead of any Eircom league player as he will be better prepared to represent us on the International stage. And in terms of management - experience outside the domestic game is what we require.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭TheJesusWarrant

Stan:
    "everybody knew that San Marino's performances would improve as the group went on"
    :eek:

• Advertisement
Advertisement