Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Absolutely no question - Stan has to go!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭Sizzler

Sadly the only way the FAI will take notice is if it hits them in the pocket...where it really hurts. Whats the chances of punters staying away from Croker till this clown gets binned and the uber clown that hired him Delaney :rolleyes:

One lad on the phone in on Newstalk after the game said he had a ticket for the Wales game and he wasnt going, fair play :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

thebaz wrote:
    Irish soccer is rotting in the meantime !.
    Irish Soccer is rotten to the core.

This is not a new development.

John Delaney is the latest in a very long line of [insert bannable name here] to have a position of responsibility in the FAI.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,510 ✭✭✭sprinkles

@the baz
    Totally agree. He's going to hang on and ruin our chances at the next world cup. It's horribly depressing.

There's a been a lot of people talking about the players should shoulder some of the blame and it's true. They are professional highly paid football players and they should have swept the part timers away BUT I really don't think that those players would have turned in a performance like that if a decent manager was at the helm. Imagine Fergie giving the half time team talk. It's partly the players fault, mostly the managers/FAI. We're stuck with the players we have, lets change the rest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭Benedict XVI

thebaz wrote:
    There was no indication of unrest following the Cyprus game , when we played the Czech at Lansdowne -- the same problem existed , an incompetent manager out of his depth, I fail to see how it will be any different at Croker -- those going will be swept into supporting the team and not booing Stan -- in fact the only way i see Stan going was if we had failed to win last night , or another equally inept performance , this is unlikely to happen, as the team will respond in the new environs of Croke Park -- disgracefully I see us stuck with this muppet for the foreseeable future -- Irish soccer is rotting in the meantime !.

But there was unrest in the days between the Cyprus loss and the Czech game. It was only during and after the game that people got behind the team, once they saw something resembling a spirited performance.

Also I’d expect any sort of ‘prawn sandwich brigade’ to be more taken in by negative media than any positive calls for support of the team.
    If I am going to CP and have no idea about the game I will be more interested in seeing a hanging than a love fest, and thus I’ll be in hanging mood.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭Time Magazine

RT&#201 wrote: »
    Staunton relieved after last-gasp win

The bastards made me think the FAI had finally relieved him of his role! Here was me about to rejoice and open up a few cans. But no, Stan is just relieved he doesn't get his P45 yet.
    A direct question was put to Staunton as to whether he would have considered his position if San Marino had conjured up a point, but again he stood firm as he replied: 'No, not at all.'
    He's just not going to resign, is he?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

It's broken, from top to bottom. I believe the right manager could get the best out of the players. I think in the long run people will forgive Stan as just trying his best, when his best is nowhere near good enough. He's just clueless and this was a bad decision for his 1st real managerial post.

That word removed Delaney has so much to answer for and I have to agree that's where the problem lies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Whats the chances of punters staying away from Croker till this clown gets binned and the uber clown that hired him Delaney

I got offered the group booking tickets today, and I'm honastly considering not taking them up, and I know other people who are doing the exact same.

Ireland need to take the approach of other smaller nations. We're not gona qualify for the EC without a miracle, a real honast to god miracle.

I think it's time we accepted that, the coach and team accepted it, and then we focus on the next world cup.
    It's time to invest strong in the youth.
    Everybody over the age of 26 who is in the squad should never play again, bar Duff Keane and Given.

Given

McShane-O'Shea--- /??????
    -McGeady-Gibson-Ireland-Duff- /Hunt/?/?
    Keane-Doyle
    /Stokes

I'm sure we could all fill in the rest of the players, and just completely focus on the youth, in the hopes, that we might qualify for the next world cup.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭bucks73

Not a chance of him resigning. He will have to be sacked and he will want his wages to the end of his contract. Same goes for Delaney.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,667 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

PHB wrote:
    II think it's time we accepted that, the coach and team accepted it, and then we focus on the next world cup.
    It's time to invest strong in the youth.
    Everybody over the age of 26 who is in the squad should never play again, bar Duff Keane and Given.

Holland are doing this but there concentrating on the European cup

PHB wrote:
    Ireland need to take the approach of other smaller nations. We're not gona qualify for the EC without a miracle, a real honast to god miracle.

Not a hope. We wont even win all our home games....Germany will have no problem winning in Croker. We will lose away to Slovakia and the Czechs.

Better off sacking him now and getting someone used to the set up and players before the next campaign starts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

well seriously what can the general public do to change the situation?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,723 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

But there was unrest in the days between the Cyprus loss and the Czech game. It was only during and after the game that people got behind the team, once they saw something resembling a spirited performance.

Thats exactly what i predicted will happen again , and thats my fear -- if we want Stan out a revoultionary approach is required -- similar to other countrys , if it only happens in the interim , and stops for the match , Stan will stay -- the reality is Ireland will not qualify for the Euros , and in the freakish event that they do , they will embarass themselves and all of us under the current clown . To be honest and sadly , i can not see the required level of unrest being displayed at Croker , so to the detriment of Irish international football , Stan will stay , and i will stay away from this embarassment of a so called Irish team .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭Time Magazine

Call_me_al wrote:
    well seriously what can the general public do to change the situation?
    Call Joe?

bucks73 wrote:
    getting someone used to the set up
    I wouldn't inflict it on my worst enemy.

Just how much money is it going to take to get someone to work for the FAI?

It is the laughing stock of Europe this morning.

The manager is a laughing stock.

The players are a laughing stock..

This country is the laughing stock of Europe in football terms.

I am embarrassed to be associated with that shambles.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭empirix

seansouth wrote:

Make that the world, got an email from a Kiwi slagging the result, a Kiwi!!!

For the game against Wales, those in the ground can let their feelings known before kick off, during half time and afterwards. For the ninety minutes of football support the team but anytime apart from that should be used to let the FAI and management know how the supporters feel.

seansouth wrote:

I completely agree with you but something has to be done before it gets even worse. And it actually could.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,846 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

We want Staunton out say
    We want Staunton out

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,697 ✭✭✭ciaran76

I can't believe the FAI approached SS for the job in the first place. There needs a serious shake up of the organisation from the top down.

I used to love watching all our games but now haven't even the heart to watch anymore games as long as those fools are in charge.

Its only going to get worse I am afraid !!!

• Advertisement

ciaran76 wrote:
    There needs a serious shake up of the organisation from the top down.
    It was called the Genesis Report.

It changed nothing.

The appointment of Staunton was a return to the dark pre-Saipan days.

The FAI will do nothing to remedy this. NOTHING.

The suits are too comfortable in their Merrion Square mansions, driving their big cars, eating their posh food.

Do you think they actually care what the fúck happened last night? Seriously?

The only thing they care about is the trips away to exotic San Marino and Cardiff.

They don't care about the normal fan, the normal grassroots players.

The management clearly don't care. On last nights evidence the players don't care. The Delaneys of the association clearly don't care.

It's a total disgrace the way football is run in this country. And it WILL NOT change any time soon.

I remember back in the good old days of Italia 90 , after a defensive Jack Charlton long ball performance against Egypt , Eamon Dunphy declared he was ashamed to be Irish -- the country was up in arms -- today i know how Eamon fealt that night !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,846 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

I blame Delaney more than anyone else for this farce actually.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭joe316

I understand Bobby Robson is going to be on Joe Duffy, spineless idiots send a sick man to take their flack, sums up the FAIlure pretty well.

• Advertisement

He sounds decrepid.

Didn't know Steve Finnan's name.

'John' Kerr?

If the off target shots had have been on target we would have scored. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

gandalf wrote:
    Good spot.
    49 mins: 0-1. GOAAAL! Whatever the Gaffer said, or didn't say, at half-time worked a treat as Kevin Kilbane rose highest to crack a header past the not-so-busy San Marino keeper.

Ahem, what's all this celebration lark, lads? Head down, jog back and plan number two and we may forgive that god-awful first 45 minutes you made us endure. All that was missing was the bow and arrow routine from Robbie.
    I was thinking at the time that it was strange to see Robbie Keane celebrating as if we'd scored against Brazil or England.
    86 mins: 1-1. Goal. Wayne Henderson comes flying out of his penalty area. Marino's Marani tries his best to miss but McShane takes the nutmeg on the chin and decides not to chase back to stop the ball crossing the line.

I tried to laugh but I couldn't.
    I was in too much shock to laugh at the hilarity of that goal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

seansouth wrote:
    I blame Delaney more than anyone else for this farce actually.

Delaney and farce go hand in hand. with croke park sold out for the upcoming games, surely there is a bit of money to pay stan off and get in somebody proper. the 74,000 who will be going to those games, should not have to be subjected to what we saw last night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,937 ✭✭✭fade2black

The experienced players should have stepped up to the plate last night but were found wanting, particularly the most over rated player in football - Robbie Keane. Experienced teams play better against so called "minnows" and know exactly how to tear them apart. On the other hand, these inexperienced teams tend to play better as the underdog and play out of their skins...cause they have nothing to lose really.

The team is missing a leader, someone in the Roy Keane, or even Andy Townsend to show them they way.

Steve Staunton should never have been hired in the first place, but now that he's there I don't think it's fair to blame him entirely. The older players need to step up and shoulder some responsibility. These are darker days for irish soccer and they can no longer surf along on the crest of the glory days wave...the days when we expected little and were sometimes rewarded.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭jackdaw

Yeah listening to Joe Duffy, must say Bobby Robson isn't inspiring me with confidence , he doesn't sound well is he sick ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,591 ✭✭✭patmac

I have to stand up for Staunton. Our poor run of results and clueless management is leading to the situation where our seeding for WC2010(dependent on qualifying results achieved in EC2008 and WC2006) will be the lowest for 40 years and will therefore save countless of Irish lives from being lost in one of the most dangerous countries in the world in South Africa, also the economy will be saved millions of euros as we stay at home instead of heading of and spending our hard earned cash in Austria and Switzerland as well.
    Well done Stan, Brian Cowan will be proud of you, especially with comments like this:'We took a chance playing this game in February, it would have suited us a lot better in March.'
    Nice of him to remind us of how good a team San Marino are in February. That's the reason why we played so poorly and just scraped through obvious isn't it.

patmac wrote:
    I have to stand up for Staunton. Our poor run of results and clueless management is leading to the situation where our seeding for WC2010(dependent on qualifying results achieved in EC2008 and WC2006) will be the lowest for 40 years and will therefore save countless of Irish lives from being lost in one of the most dangerous countries in the world in South Africa, also the economy will be saved millions of euros as we stay at home instead of heading of and spending our hard earned cash in Austria and Switzerland as well.
    Well done Stan, Brian Cowan will be proud of you, especially with comments like this:'We took a chance playing this game in February, it would have suited us a lot better in March.'
    Nice of him to remind us of how good a team San Marino are in February. That's the reason why we played so poorly and just scraped through obvious isn't it.

Lol. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Trilla wrote:

I take it this is to be printed out and landed on Delaney's desk? :) If they don't take an internet petition seriously, forget it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,535 ✭✭✭Raekwon

That 3-0 win over Sweden last March feels like light years away :rolleyes:

Stan has to go! The results since speak for themselves:

Ireland 0-1 Chile
    Ireland 0-4 Holland
    Germany 1-0 Ireland
    Cyprus 5-2 Ireland
    Ireland 1-1 Czech Rep
    Ireland 5-0 San Marino
    San Marino 1-2 Ireland

Brain Kerr did better then this and he was sacked because we missed out on a play-off place for the World Cup on goal difference! :mad: Okay the two draws against Israel were bad but compared to the crap we have had to put up with since it is pretty much incomparable!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,235 ✭✭✭iregk

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭smemon

in fairness, alex ferguson or murinho could do nothing to help matters...

look at the players we have.. apart from Duff and Given, no superstars.

finnan, kilbane, dunne, carsley, keane are all water carriers. Yes, they play in the premiership, however they just fill the gaps in their teams... they are replaceable.

If any of those guys get injured for the PL sides, they can be replaced and you won't miss them.

Those guys are our so called big game players, our best players. It shows at international level how average they are when they don't have any superstars playing with them. (bar Duff).

As Duff himself isn't in great form and is only really back from injury, that means Ireland have no shining light to rescue them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

smemon wrote:
    finnan, kilbane, dunne, carsley, keane are all water carriers. Yes, they play in the premiership, however they just fill the gaps in their teams... they are replaceable.

If any of those guys get injured for the PL sides, they can be replaced and you won't miss them.

Bah. Dunne and Carsley play pivotal roles for their respective clubs. Everton and City lack a lot when they are unavailable. Finnan and Keane are not having vintage seasons - but if they were on form and at their best they are big contributers to their clubs. Irreplaceable? No. Missed when unavailable? Definately.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭Carcharodon

Any talented manager would make a difference, Staunton is obviously lacking in the tactics department and the motivational area.
    Premiership teams dont have these players just to "fill the gaps", granted they may not be worldclass but they are of a high standard.

I say give Roy Keane the job but he would obviously have the intelligence to turn it down

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,052 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

If the head of my company came down to my desk today and asked me if I wanted to take over from him at the top I would say 'no way, give me a few more years and may be then'

That's what Stan should have done.

And that's why he should stand down. He is clearly out of his dept and should have the common sense to stand up and say 'I am not up to this job at this time', he will gain 100% more respect for that sort of a move than the aimless wandering in the wilderness that is ahead of he stays.

You are obviously an intelligent, pragmatic person who is not swayed by material wealth, also you must be full of humility and realism.
    Stan nor Delaney possess any of these traits(Well, Delaney is intelligent). Staunton would never have taken the job in the first place if he possessed any of these attributes. He should have tendered his resignation after yesterdays game.
    It's obvious the players realise how inept he is and that showed itself in their listless performance last night. Delaney wanted Kerr out so it's only fair the true fans who follows the team all around the globe finally get their way; to see Delaney leave merrion square. Call it Karma or whatever.

smemon wrote:

look at the players we have.. apart from Duff and Given, no superstars.

Those guys are our so called big game players, our best players. It shows at international level how average they are when they don't have any superstars playing with them. (bar Duff).

As Duff himself isn't in great form and is only really back from injury, that means Ireland have no shining light to rescue them.

It’s all well and good saying we do not have the players (and that’s what a number of people on Joe Duffy said today) but you must remember who the opposition is

It’s fcuking San Mario and Cyprus for God’s sake.

No one expects us to beat the top European teams with these player but they are expected to comfortably put away Cyprus and San Mario which they have failed to do.

The team last night had no shape, no plan, no focus, and that is all down to the management.
    They come together for a few days from different clubs playing different styles etc, it’s up to management to prepare them for the game ahead, to make sure they know what the plan is and what they are expected to do, and to motivate them.
    From what I saw last night none of that was done and that is all Stan’s fault.

Walk away now Stan, make the brave decision, you will be respected much more for it if you do it now.

• Advertisement

I say give Roy Keane the job but he would obviously have the intelligence to turn it down
    Replace one inexperienced manager with another? hmmm...

Its quite obvious Stan just hasnt the required skills to be an international coach. A decent coach would, first and foremost, make sure there is structure and organisation on the pitch. The performances show there is none.

Some might blame the players but all you have to do is look across the border to see how Sanchez has organised Northern Ireland and made them hard to beat. They even got brilliant results against Spain and England. Northern Ireland dont have as many players with Premier League teams but they still look organised, hard to beat and capable of good football.

BaZmO* wrote:

Was being sarcastic....but he has shown good managerial qualities so far with Sunderland. Roy Keane knows he is inexperience, hence the reason he would turn it down in my opinion, something Staunton should of done....

BaZmO* wrote:

yeah , but i know who i'd prefer managing my local football team ...

also Roy has at least managed at club level , Stan was assitant to an intoxicated Paul Merson at Walsall

thebaz wrote:
    Stan was assitant to an intoxicated Paul Merson at Walsall

That made me laugh out loud :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭smemon

world class players are 'world class' for a reason... they can motivate themselves and gel in any side they are put into.

Only Duff and Given fit into that category.

The rest need leadership and direction and lots of it. Staunton is too young to be respected as most of the current squad have played with him and see him as an easy touch.

He is a yes man, just like McCarthy and Kerr.

Roy Keane isn't a yes man. You mess him about, and you'll know all about it. Just ask Shearer, Vieira, Mc Carthy, Ferguson, Haaland, Quinn etc... ;)

The one thing the next Irish manager must be able to do is scare the players.

At the minute, Stan probably asks the players if they want a nice cup of tea and biscuits at half time. A Roy Keane would fill a kettle full with toilet water, boil it and throw it over the players.

An iron fist is what is needed, someone who will come out publicly and slam the players if they underperform.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xlS1Nsx9sA8 (typical stan interview)
    http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-7183535307672196916&q=roy+keane (typical keane interview)

Who would you prefer as manager? ;)

Was being sarcastic....
    Yeah I know, so was I
    smemon wrote:
    world class players are 'world class' for a reason... they can motivate themselves and gel in any side they are put into.
    What about the entire England squad? "World Class"???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

smemon wrote:

look at the players we have..
    irish1 wrote:
    The biggest problem I see now is "IF" Staunton was to go what top class manager would "WANT" the job, I mean look at the front page of the Sun today, we'r becomming like the English media now, our expectations have risen so we expect to beat San Marino by 7 or 13 goals like Germany and the Czech's did.
    You'd think the Czechs had 11 world class players. Rosicky and Cech are probably their only world class players. imo... Given is as good as Cech, Finnan is better than Jiranek, Dunne is better than Rozehnal, McGeady is better than Sionko, Keane is better than Baros. Get Duff back close to his best, Doyle settled into the team and Andy Reid in there somewhere and we've only a couple of weak spots. We're not that bloody bad and on paper were certainly not much worse than the Czechs.
    You must be taking the piss really....
    Giles and Brady, two of Irelands greatest players ever with a great understanding and intelligence on how the game should be played.
    Don't give me this rubbish. :) I don't care how good Giles was 40 years ago. He was a failed manager. He doesn't spot intelligience in players like Riquelme and probably couldn't name 5 first team players off Barcelona ffs. Brady has a decent eye for a player but another failed manager and wouldn't know much about players outside of the premiership. I'd trust what Kerr had to say about football before either tbh.

btw - Apparantly Ladbrokes offered 5/2 on Stan being in charge of Ireland for the Wales game. I couldn't believe it when I read it in the Evening Hedald. Went onto Ladbrokes and he's 1/4. I wonder if they got it wrong as I would have put a bit on at 5/2.

Who could possible sack Delaney btw? Surely there has to be someone above him if he's only the chief exec.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

So much for the captain's view on the game. Keep painting over the cracks there Robbie, that'll fix it. :(
    Not putting the blame on him either. from here.
    Keane claimed after last night's shambolic 2-1 win over the worst team in Europe in San Marino that all that mattered was the three Euro 2008 qualifying points.
    'The most important thing is the three points. That's what we came for, and we would have taken it before the game. We're thankful we got them.

'If you ask anybody in football, it's about winning, and that's what we did.'

• Advertisement

smemon wrote:

He is a yes man, just like McCarthy and Kerr.

Roy Keane isn't a yes man. You mess him about, and you'll know all about it. Just ask Shearer, Vieira, Mc Carthy, Ferguson, Haaland, Quinn etc... ;)

Even though I would love to see him as manager, that’s why Keane will never be Ireland manager.
    There is no way he could work with the FAI.
    If Keane proves to be a good club manager in the next few years the FAI would be scared of there s**te to make him Ireland manager cos he would tare them to shreds.

Advertisement