Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Absolutely no question - Stan has to go!

124»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭smemon

eirebhoy wrote:
    Keane is better than Baros. Doyle settled into the team and Andy Reid in there somewhere and we've only a couple of weak spots.

Keane is a waste of space.. he plays like a 15 year old wannabe brazilian. It's no wonder he's been frozen out at spurs. His feet are slower than his brain, therefore nothing he does comes off.

The next time i see a dummy, only to dummy straight into an opposition defender... :mad:

Andy Reid is inconsistent and very over-rated imo.. one or two free kicks and the odd cross.. that's about it. Not a big game player.

Doyle isn't proven at international level, Reading are having the honeymoon year in the PL so all their players are overhyped and they're punching above their weight.

The Czechs have a style of play, full of flair and team spirit... we don't. We never had. (well we either had one or the other, now we've none :rolleyes: ).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Robbie Keane is better than Baros. That's all that matters with the point I'm making.

Andy Reid is underrated, not overrated. He has more of a football brain than any Irish player currently playing imo. He has a fantastic range of passing too. Those 2 attributes alone mean he has a great positional sense and he's very creative. Plus he does his fair share off the ball. He's a great player. Charlton's star man before injury and always plays well for us.

Wait til you see Stokes btw. I didn't even mention him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭Carcharodon

eirebhoy wrote:
    Don't give me this rubbish. :) I don't care how good Giles was 40 years ago. He was a failed manager. He doesn't spot intelligience in players like Riquelme and probably couldn't name 5 first team players off Barcelona ffs. Brady has a decent eye for a player but another failed manager and wouldn't know much about players outside of the premiership. I'd trust what Kerr had to say about football before either tbh.

Fair enough they have not had glittering managerial careers but Giles did guide West Brom to promotion and never really had a proper managerial job after that.

Iam sure Brady has a better knowledge of players than you may think, someone that involved in soccer is bound to...

They were not just great players, they were players with alot of intelligence and this intelligence comes across alot in their analysis.
    Granted their opinions are not always right but they are generally going in the right direction.

Whether they have had successful managerial careers does not take away from their knowledge of the game, maybe Kerr knows alot of players names but doesn't make him more knowledgable about how the game is played.

Kerr is not exactly the most successful manager is he...:)

Right, I don't really care tbh. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Anyone who says that Fergie or Mourinho wouldn't do better than Stan is just being silly.
    If Fergie or Mourinho were the managers last night, we would have won at least 5 nil, as we should have. The players played ****, no doubt about it, but the manager is the one really at fault for it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

ooops!!

eirebhoy wrote:
    Robbie Keane is better than Baros. That's all that matters with the point I'm making.

Wait til you see Stokes btw. I didn't even mention him.

I personally would take Baros over Keane. Baros is a striker who plays as a striker.

Keane's needs a better player to play along side him. If Keane is the main striker, he's shown up.

Stokes i have no problem with... i've seen bits and pieces of him and he looks good. McShane also looks the part.

McShane is the first young player in a long time to step up and make an immediate impact. No messing about, no nerves, no flicks or tricks, just get the ball and pass it - simple..

If we have 11 players who can pass and control a ball, i'll be happy. At the minute, we don't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭Carcharodon

eirebhoy wrote:
    Right, I don't really care tbh. ;)

Yea, its a pointless argument :)

Lets just hate Stan...boooooo

Yea, its a pointless argument :)

Lets just hate Stan...boooooo

and delaney.. booohhh

smemon wrote:
    I personally would take Baros over Keane. Baros is a striker who plays as a striker.

Keane's needs a better player to play along side him. If Keane is the main striker, he's shown up.

Stokes i have no problem with... i've seen bits and pieces of him and he looks good. McShane also looks the part.

McShane is the first young player in a long time to step up and make an immediate impact. No messing about, no nerves, no flicks or tricks, just get the ball and pass it - simple..

If we have 11 players who can pass and control a ball, i'll be happy. At the minute, we don't.
    Fair points. Just think you underestimated our players. You don't need 11 world class players to make a great team.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,591 ✭✭✭patmac

If the head of my company came down to my desk today and asked me if I wanted to take over from him at the top I would say 'no way, give me a few more years and may be then'
    Hang on Benedict XVI are you not the head of your company, and deservedly so too as you are about the same age as Booby Robson.
    If Staunton was sacked now maybe it will have the same effect as when he left his previous club what with Walsall top of the league and all that. Jaysus even that tells its own tale ffs go. Although I agreed with the sackings of McCarthy and Kerr I did feel sorry for them after they left. Needless to say I wouldn't feel sorry for Stan or Delaney. Never have I seen such unamity amongst the citizens of boards and Ireland, we must get the message across.

boy_wonder wrote:
    and also felt sorry for kerr on tv3 commentary. what must he be thinking??? loosing his job and having to put up with trevvvooor welch for that pcrik

People can go on about Stan all they like but the truth is that Ireland are bad long before this qualifying campaign.Probably since since Kerr started in charge.

Whilst Stan wouldnt have ben my first choice as ROI manager and i still feel it was typical FAI taking the cheap option to leave cash aside to pamper themselves with on away trips, SS gets my sympathy as he is like a man that has been sent to stop a snowball half way down Mt Everest which has gathered plenty of snow and momentum.

Its quite simple - the 'BIG' players are not pulling their weight. Robbie Keane and Damien Duff have been found out to be limited showpony's who lack leadership and grit.

Its like having poor versions of Arjen Robben and Cristiano Ronaldo (and i dont rate either of them) to lead a team.

We havent had a prolific goalscorer in years perhaps maybe since the time of Frank stapleton/Don Givens era hence im not surprised we dont hammer minnow teams like the hollands and germanys, etc.

Plenty of comments saying Stan cannot 'motivate' the players. Well if a player on thousands a week cannot be motivated enough at even the thoughts of representing his country at international level no matter how big small the occasion, then football as we know it in this country is dead and buried.

end of my rant. people will disagree and they are entitled to.

That's rubbish about Duff being found out. Duff was a world class player a couple of years ago. Something has gone really wrong since but he still gives his all for Ireland. I don't like seeing Duff get slagged off. I could understand if he was playing very well at club level but he plays much better for Ireland than he has been doing at club level over the last 2 years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Its like having poor versions of Arjen Robben and Cristiano Ronaldo (and i dont rate either of them) to lead a team.

If you don't rate Robben, Ronaldo, or Duff, who exactly do you rate out of interest?

Keane and Duff have never been natural leaders. They are just really good players. It's like critiscising Scholes for not being a leader on the pitch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 142 ✭✭Aldini98

Lads, get back to the facts. Laurel aint good enough, he's out of his depth and the players know it too. Robson is too old and should be in a home not in management. Delaney should be shot for appointing them after Kerrs contract wasnt renewed.

If anyone comes out with the "get behind your country" nonsense they should no better, lose the blind faith lads, hes waaaaaaaaaay out of his depth, he knows it, we know it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Aldini98 wrote:
    If anyone comes out with the "get behind your country" nonsense they should no better, lose the blind faith lads, hes waaaaaaaaaay out of his depth, he knows it, we know it.
    No it's not blind faith, it's called being a loyal supporter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭Hippo

Whilst Stan wouldnt have ben my first choice as ROI manager and i still feel it was typical FAI taking the cheap option to leave cash aside to pamper themselves with on away trips, SS gets my sympathy as he is like a man that has been sent to stop a snowball half way down Mt Everest which has gathered plenty of snow and momentum.

Stan agreed to take the job with full knowledge of how limited the team was, he wasn't forced to do anything. He was delighted to take the job. He's clearly incapable of managing the team, regardless of the fact that an international team shouldn't take much 'motivating'. The joke is over now, he has to go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭Töpher

Hippo wrote:
    The joke is over now, he has to go.

Me thinks its just getting started! :eek: :D

PHB wrote:
    If you don't rate Robben, Ronaldo, or Duff, who exactly do you rate out of interest?

Keane and Duff have never been natural leaders. They are just really good players. It's like critiscising Scholes for not being a leader on the pitch.

id prefer a player that is more direct and that takes the best option and whom uses his brain, not a circus act who nearly gets his legs in a knot trying to be too clever. Dont get me wrong. these players have talent. They are just not not applying it where it really matters.

Duff is a one trick pony who will try the one thing over and again and defenders have sussed his strategy after the world cup in 02. Robbie Keane is the very same.

Hippo wrote:
    Stan agreed to take the job with full knowledge of how limited the team was, he wasn't forced to do anything. He was delighted to take the job. He's clearly incapable of managing the team, regardless of the fact that an international team shouldn't take much 'motivating'. The joke is over now, he has to go.

true true. he was willing but i dont think he's the one sole reason ireland are in this position. yes his appointment made a mockery of what we stand for as a football nation. it was like 'have a practise run with this crowd stan and get yourself some experience.

He still has my sympathy. The players are either a)useless b) inexperienced at intl level c)ran out of ideas or d)not putting it in

• Advertisement

Duff is a one trick pony who will try the one thing over and again and defenders have sussed his strategy after the world cup in 02. Robbie Keane is the very same.
    After the world cup 02? He was one of the best wingers in the premiership long after the world cup. He was Chelsea's best player in his first season and up there again in his 2nd season. Mourinho doesn't like wingers. He tried to change Duff into more of a thinking player. It meant that Duff wasn't the same player and it seems to have ruined him tbh.

Advertisement