Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

New shape VW Passat?

Options
  • 07-02-2007 10:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭

Anybody good or bad experiences.Contemplating purchasing a 2005 1.9tdi comfortline model and getting it remapped to bring it up to 135bhp.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Fuel pumps fail in them on a regular basis. Turbos can give trouble too. Dealers aren't the most helpful either. Roadside assistance is excellent - just as well. I'm a big VW fan, but the current Passat is, so far, proving troublesome.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Volvoboy

Really dont like them, horrid cars to work on from a service point, really wouldnt recomend messin' around with the ecu's too many things connected into too many other things.

-VB-

• Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

A good few issues with unexplained engine stalling, cutting out.

Also reports of numerous false ECU error codes appearing on the dash. My uncle only picked up his new 1.6 litre Comfortline about 3 weeks ago and it is has already been back to the dealer with a false ECU error code. Pain in the ass having to take time off work for nothing. The ironic thing is I told him about this before he ordered it.

bazz26 wrote:
    A good few issues with unexplained engine stalling, cutting out.

Also reports of numerous false ECU error codes appearing on the dash. My uncle only picked up his new 1.6 litre Comfortline about 3 weeks ago and it is has already been back to the dealer with a false ECU error code. Pain in the ass having to take time off work for nothing. The ironic thing is I told him about this before he ordered it.

Probably due a 'software update'. I've a couple of Passats that won't start form time to time. Disconnect the battery negative and, hey presto, the thing starts - for a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

crosstownk wrote:
    Probably due a 'software update'. I've a couple of Passats that won't start form time to time. Disconnect the battery negative and, hey presto, the thing starts - for a while.

I know new models can suffer from teething problems but the current Passat is almost 2 years old now, you'd think they would have sorted them by now. Just reinforces my argument that VWs have gone down hill in recent years.

• Advertisement

bazz26 wrote:
    Just reinforces my argument that VWs have gone down hill in recent years.

How right you are. Usually when a new VW is launched it suffers teething problems - fair enough. But as the years roll by these problems are becoming more and more prevalent.

In the last 3 days I've had 5 VW Passat TDIs breakdown due to fuel pump failure. In fairness, roadside assistance is great, but if the cars were more reliable it would be much better situation.

The fact that most (not all) VW dealers are notoriously unhelpful only adds extra frustration for the customer.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,660 ✭✭✭maidhc

As above, in particular stalling/cutting out.

The electric handbrake is a joke also. It just is a silly gadget that doesn't offer and benefit over a manual one and is more awkward to use.

Engine noise is very intrusive too at low speeds.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

They're a far better looking car than the outgoing, and the handling and general drive of them is far better too. Have heard romours about problems though alright, but in fairness, I know a few people with diesels and no problems so far, with maybe 20,000 kms on one.
    I agree with the 1.9, too noisy by today's standards. I also agree on the handbrake, I don't see the point. Renault have them too, and Audi have them on everything except the A4, and I'm thinking the next A4 will have it aswell. Pity.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,441 ✭✭✭JoeA3

Friend of mine has a 1.9tdi, almost a year old, over 30,000 kms. Completely fault free, he's very happy with it. Its a tad underpowered, ideally the 2.0 is the one to get, but its much more expensive and you'd lose most of it again on trade in.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭sundodger5

Have a 2.0 tdi 06 with 85,000 km. So far watch out for oil cooler breaking free under car. It is happening to them all must be due a recall. Washer jets clog. Usual VAG oil useage problem. The electronic handbrake takes getting used to but you can't mess up a hill start.
    Way above the old model actually stops and goes round corners.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭Moanin

sundodger5 wrote:
    Have a 2.0 tdi 06 with 85,000 km. So far watch out for oil cooler breaking free under car. It is happening to them all must be due a recall. Washer jets clog. Usual VAG oil useage problem. The electronic handbrake takes getting used to but you can't mess up a hill start.
    Way above the old model actually stops and goes round corners.

What do you mean it stops and goes around corners?Sounds a bit worrying to me. Currently have A4 tdi so Im used to oil usage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

Moanin wrote:
    What do you mean it stops and goes around corners?Sounds a bit worrying to me. Currently have A4 tdi so Im used to oil usage.
    He probably means that the chassis is far superior. Which it is. The old car was a kind of lazy handler, outclassed by the rest in that sector. The new one is up with the best. Maybe mondeo drivers will be disappointed, but not a lot!

Advertisement