Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Are you religious?

• 07-02-2007 11:26pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 801 ✭✭✭Nature Boy

Not really looking for a big ass debate here. Just looking for a general idea of people's religious views. Hence the poll.

Feel free to post a better description of what you believe.

I'm an athiest by the way, used to believe in god and I guess giving up my belief was part of growing up for me.

P.S. Appologies if there exists a thread similar to this already. The forum search tool doesn't work in my browser.

What are your religious beliefs? 144 votes

I believe in and practice a particular religion
    0% 0 votes
    I believe in a religion but don't regularily go to church/mosque etc
    14% 21 votes
    I don't follow any religion but believe in a 'God'
    17% 25 votes
    I believe in a 'God' but deep down I'm not so sure...
    14% 21 votes
    I can't decide either way!
    6% 9 votes
    I don't believe in any 'God' or religion but don't really talk about it
    8% 12 votes
    I don't believe in any 'God' or religion and I'm vocal about it!
    38% 56 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 227 ✭✭Rawr!

Poll?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,739 ✭✭✭Jello

Nature Boy wrote:
    Hence the poll.

What poll? :p
    But no, I'm not religious. And afaik there was some sort of a religious thread a while ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭Time Magazine

Jello wrote:
    And afaik there was some sort of a religious thread a while ago.
    Really? A religious thread? You mean religion was discussed on Boards? :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

I'm a deist. I think....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 227 ✭✭Rawr!

Oh yeah... I forgot to post something proper.... Hmmm.... nope not religious...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

I don't believe in magical happy ever after life after death scenarios, nor do I believe in invisible sky wizards that no one has heard from in 2000 years, and even then, he used talking shrubbery.

Sorry lads, I stopped believing in fairytales a long long time ago.

/Cue the "But there must be something more" posts ... :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 801 ✭✭✭Nature Boy

Ummm. How did this manage to get posted before i finished the poll?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

option 4 for me

Hmmm. I'm not sure about the last one. By vocal I don't mean being aggressive or preaching it, I meant if you're not afraid to talk about it!

Oh and appologies again if it was posted before, but I can't seem to search the forum!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

I'm christian, believe in God and whatever else but do question it. Don't go to church often though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

The poll doesn't have an option for me....non-practicing catholic (by birth) who's only "religious" belief is in the gaian hypothesis since it's the only semi-spiritual/natural representation of a "greater/superior being" that makes any sense to me.
    Organised religion can rot as far as I'm concerned.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

rb_ie wrote:
    I'm christian, believe in God and whatever else but do question it. Don't go to church often though.

Same. While my first inclination was to say 'Yes', it's not a definate without question yes. My mothers aunt is dying at the moment, but she's not remotely upset - she's just happy she's going to meet her deceased husband and family. While I wish I held such a definate mindset....I don't.

Also, congrats on the poll - some decent options there to cater for a fairly wide range of opinions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Most recent thread, that I can find on the issue with more rebuttals than ya can shake a schtick at! The poll is a tad better than the last one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

Nature Boy wrote:
    Hmmm. I'm not sure about the last one. By vocal I don't mean being aggressive or preaching it, I meant if you're not afraid to talk about it!
    If I'd read that before I voted I'd have gone with the last rather than second last option.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

I'm technically religious.

Vi vs Emacs, that sort of thing :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,520 ✭✭✭Dubh Geannain

I'd say I used to be religous as a kid as in prayin every night and all that. Last time I was at mass was at my brothers confirmation 4 years ago. Don't even make the token appearance at Christmas now.

I'd say I'm borderline athiest/agnostic, so not really sure. I fry my head when I begin thinking about "Life the Universe and everything" :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭connundrum

Would the 2nd last option be the 'Atari Jaguar' option? If so I think I'll tick that box.

rb_ie wrote:
    Me too. I firmly believe in God. But haven't gone to mass or prayed properly or consistently after feeling forced by a relative two years ago. I specifically told him to not pressure me, but that didn't dissuade him. Stupid of me to react like I have I know, but can't seem to do anything about it.

It's also far harder to be a committed Christian than the half-assed approach I'm taking at the moment. I really don't buy into this shite some people spout about religion being a crutch for the masses. Certainly that's true for some people, but for me it's the other way around. It's a hell of commitment, excuse the pun, and I don't know if I could live up to it at the moment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

Ibid wrote:
    I really don't buy into this shite some people spout about religion being a crutch for the masses. Certainly that's true for some people, but for me it's the other way around. It's a hell of commitment, excuse the pun, and I don't know if I could live up to it at the moment.
    The whole basis for religion being a crutch is simply the belief rather than any of the ceremonial or rule following aspects of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Just want to remind ye that when ye say you're a Christian, you're saying that you believe that Jesus of Nazareth is Christ, the Messiah. While some people choose this consciously, I find that others use the word 'Christian' in place of 'theist', because they don't want to limit themselves to being either a Catholic, Protestant, or Orthodox. By doing so you are still accepting that Jesus of Nazareth is the Messiah and the son of god! If you believe in a god but don't subscribe to any religion, then I think you're more accurately described as a theist (correct me if I'm wrong; I've recently had someone argue with me that when they say they're a creationist, they don't necessarily mean that they believe in Genesis literally -- and don't get me started on satanism...:rolleyes:)
    I'm not trying to patronise anybody by assuming that you didn't choose your words properly, but it's just my experience that people do that by default, thereby dismissing all of the other religions in the world.

I'm an atheist, I don't believe in any gods. If someone asks me I'll tell them I'm an atheist, and if someone is talking b*llocks about virgin births, etc., then I'll often find it hard to restrain myself; but I wouldn't go out of my way to bring it up in conversation.

• Advertisement

JC 2K3 wrote:
    The whole basis for religion being a crutch is simply the belief rather than any of the ceremonial or rule following aspects of it.
    A Christian teaching that I'm coming more and more around to accepting is that if you believe in God, you'll follow His rules too.

They're kind of inseparable. Kind of like being lovingly committed to a partner and cheating on them. Yes, it may happen, but in the long-run you'll regret it and just stop it.

I can't think of anyone who has a middling-to-strong belief in (the Christian) God and doesn't act out on it in some way. This might not mean going to church or mass, but being generally more conscious in their actions.

Ruu wrote:
    Most recent thread, that I can find on the issue with more rebuttals than ya can shake a schtick at! The poll is a tad better than the last one.

Oh well. I suppose another one won't hurt (even though that one was quite recent)!

Ibid wrote:
    Me too. I firmly believe in God. But haven't gone to mass or prayed properly or consistently after feeling forced by a relative two years ago. I specifically told him to not pressure me, but that didn't dissuade him. Stupid of me to react like I have I know, but can't seem to do anything about it.

It's also far harder to be a committed Christian than the half-assed approach I'm taking at the moment. I really don't buy into this shite some people spout about religion being a crutch for the masses. Certainly that's true for some people, but for me it's the other way around. It's a hell of commitment, excuse the pun, and I don't know if I could live up to it at the moment.
    Yeah, I used to get forced to go to Church as a kid which I think put me off it a little. Do pray the odd time though, if anything its a way of getting shít off my chest without putting friends through listening to it, besides the fact that I don't particularly want to talk to some people about some things.
    I do intend to get into it a bit more when I'm a bit older, I've yet to be baptised (mother and father are different religions, reckoned I'd be best off making my own decision) so plan to do that at some point. Will probably just get baptised into the whichever, catholic or protestant, that my future fiancee/wife is. However, I'll never put pressure on my kids about it, best off just making them aware of it and letting them make their own decisions/choosing their own beliefs imo.

I couldn't give a shíte what people think of my beliefs either, if they think the whole Jesus/God thing is a load of crap or whatever, they're entitled to their beliefs as I am entitled to mine (as is everybody), as long as they're not forcing theirs on anyone or belittling others beliefs then I've no problem with them.

DaveMcG wrote:
    I'm an atheist, I don't believe in any gods. If someone asks me I'll tell them I'm an atheist, and if someone is talking b*llocks about virgin births, etc., then I'll often find it hard to restrain myself; but I wouldn't go out of my way to bring it up in conversation.
    Have you any beliefs in any things paranormal? By extension, would you have no problem fooling around with an Ouija Board?

There is tonnes of (admittedly) anecdotal evidence that would scare the crap out you. One such case that I can think of happened in the North - in the middle of a Presbyterian service a member of the congregation stood up and started talking in tongues. Another guy, who I know and now runs a church in Maynooth, spontaneously stood up and started translating. Both of these guys testify they hadn't a clue what was going on. Basically the translation was that they preach love thy neighbour etc, but they don't even communicate with the Nationalist community in the North. The final sentence was something like "just to show I'm not kidding...". Immediately after the last sentence, a gust of wind smashed through the back window, continued through the entire length of the church and smashed out the front window.

Hundreds of witnesses. Now that's scary.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭mathew

No. 6 for me. I just feel there’s no proof for any of it, except a book written a long time ago by a few lads. Also the fact Catholicism (the religion I was brought up under) only came about in the 4th Century (apparently), and it was introduced by a Roman leader to provide more order for the empire... or so I've been told.
    As the option says, I don’t really talk about it too much!!

Ibid wrote:
    Have you any beliefs in any things paranormal? By extension, would you have no problem fooling around with an Ouija Board?

There is tonnes of (admittedly) anecdotal evidence that would scare the crap out you. One such case that I can think of happened in the North - in the middle of a Presbyterian service a member of the congregation stood up and started talking in tongues. Another guy, who I know and now runs a church in Maynooth, spontaneously stood up and started translating. Both of these guys testify they hadn't a clue what was going on. Basically the translation was that they preach love thy neighbour etc, but they don't even communicate with the Nationalist community in the North. The final sentence was something like "just to show I'm not kidding...". Immediately after the last sentence, a gust of wind smashed through the back window, continued through the entire length of the church and smashed out the front window.

Pity God wouldn't get DaveMcG to speak in tongues...might be more understandable than the Tallaght accent :D:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,698 ✭✭✭InFront

My parents consider me not very religious, and my friends seem to think I'm very religious, so I think I'm caught in a time/ cultural warp somewhere.:)

I don't have a problem with people of other religions on that basis, or people of no religion (on that basis). I just hate it when people impose their thoughts to an unncessarily insistent degree on others.
    Talk about it and mention why you believe it, yes. I just wish there was less insisting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,575 ✭✭✭elivsvonchiaing

Brought up Catholic - and looked to every religion - to realise they are all bollix!

High five to comment on organized religion!

That said I believe the universe is a machine of some kind - built for some purpose - or by random accident. Mans need to create a big-daddy/Santa Claus figure has to be seen as pathetic.

I'm alive and I can observe the universe - I can enjoy this/not enjoy this - but using a set of religious beliefs so I can pretend to understand why I'm here - and not just accept it's unknowable belongs back in the dark ages.

Organised religion generally sucks - I have particular problems with Catholicism in the 50's in Ireland - it has left a grotesque crater in this society; ultra-orthodox (Chasidic) Judaism that discards human rights - e.g. stringing a wire across a road on erev shabat to decapitate a motorcyclist who dares work for a courier on Saturdays; Wahhabi followers of Islam that follow the teachings of Osama Bin Laden - or generally just want to plunge the earth back to the 7th century no matter who they have to kill.

I don't like any cults either.

Even when a brand of religion doesn't fall into any of these categories - but promises something whereby service-level can't be measured - they automatically suck - the ones with dogma are truly bankrupt.

My vote of top religions is Hinduism (the vedas are eternal - the caste system could be abolished as the vedas can (in theory) be re-interpeted),

Next is Judaism - quite like (what I've found translations of) The Zohar - and the willingness of Rabbis to admit they made a mistake on this one...

Third is Christianity; kinda like orthodox more but nothing sucks more than a bad franchise of a religion to me tbh! (Namely Irish Catholicism) - yes it is a franchise. I offer nothing to support this argument - anyone?

Fourth is Islam - Basically big problem is 09/11 - its the Wahhabiists I've a problem with- I'm going to be in Clonskeagh tomorrow with Chuck Norris - so are you all pussies or what?

Rabbis, Bishops, Vedeshatvas etc. are all welcome:rolleyes: !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭MooseJam

Hey where's the 'I am God' option

• Advertisement

Ibid wrote:

No I don't believe in the supernatural. I've messed with ouija boards before and nowt happened (except one of my mates tried to move the yoke himself!). Most of those sort of things come with the caveat 'you have to want it to work for it to work'.

I can't explain that anecdote you posted I'm afraid. That doesn't mean it was a ghost. When a scientific study by a reputable university is carried out, that definitively demonstrates the existance of ghosts or the paranormal, then I'll start believing in it, but until then I'm inclined to disregard videos of 'orbs' and stories of people seeing 'the figure of a little child'. It's usually down to imagination IMO.

What do you think of psychics? Are some people blessed with that gift?
    rb_ie wrote:
    Pity God wouldn't get DaveMcG to speak in tongues...might be more understandable than the Tallaght accent :D:p

Why I never! :eek: My accent must be really thick if you can pick it up through my text :( That's not the only thing that's thick, wha!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

DaveMcG wrote:
    J I've recently had someone argue with me that when they say they're a creationist, they don't necessarily mean that they believe in Genesis literally
    someone should sit that person down and explain to him what a creationist is.

MooseJam wrote:
    Hey where's the 'I am God' option
    i realised i am god several years ago. i was praying and i realised i was talking to myself
    DaveMcG wrote:
    What do you think of psychics? Are some people blessed with that gift?
    i went to a psychic but there was a sign in her window saying "closed due to unforeseen circumstances"

someone should sit that person down and explain to him what a creationist is.

Indeed. They were arguing that there's a difference between creationists and 'young earth' creationists (I don't know what the latter is, presumably something American). They were saying that they believe the universe was created by god, and then evolution took place; but they also believe that Jesus is the son of god, etc. etc. I would have called them a deist if they didn't believe in the Jesus stuff, so I had to leave them to it since I couldn't think of an appropriate word to describe them!

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭lemon_of_old

Like most Irish people, was forcefed a stew of jesus and mary and the angelus when I was growing up - tryspending two hours on your knees saying the rosary with your grandparents when you're ten years old when you KNOW James Bond Jr. and Captain Planet is on Den TV!

I do sort of understand why those of my grandparents generation clung to their religion; I'm sure it helped them through a lot of tough times. Maybe it's just a case of following the norm. It wasn't the done thing to give the two fingers to the church in my grandparents wee village back in the day. It's not exactly common for younger people to all hang out at prayer meetings these days. I dunno.

For me, it all ended when I got a portable tv, and could watch Captain Planet to my hearts content. Haven't gone to mass since.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,266 ✭✭✭Steyr

Im a Catholic but I only go to mass for Ceremonies such as weddings,funerals,christenings,christmas etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 917 ✭✭✭carbonkid

Religion doesnt seem to be as much a fun topic to talk about these days...think its cause even those who believe in theyre religion to the grave they dont feel like they should push it on others. We've lost the spirit of christianity. What we need is another famine to bring it back!

• Advertisement

I'm a buddhist.
    As for god, I don't know if they exist or not. Won't worship any if they do.
    I take it fairly seriously... when I have the time.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,355 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

Blue stands up in the front of the church. Turns and faces the assembly. Raises hands before the multitudes and shouts, "I.... b-e-l-i-e-v-e.....! The whole church gets quiet and watches Blue. Takes another deep breath. Raises up on toes, stretching arms to ceiling. "I.... b-e-l-i-e-v-e........ that this thread would qualify for the religious forum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

There is no relgious forum there is the spirituality forum which is for generally spirtual and relgious matters in general.

Yes I do believe in Gods , I have a religion and practice it regularly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

I stopped believing in god on the day I got my first atlas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 444 ✭✭Esmereldina

I voted for the last option, though I'm not exactly the crusading atheist type. I will defend my 'beliefs' (not quite sure what other word to use here, no irony intended ;) ) if i am questioned about them. Any creationist who crosses my path should also be quite afraid :rolleyes:
    Anyway, tis off to the atheist forum with me now...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

Wouldnt exactally be a believer, due to my technical/scientific outlook on things. however i wouldnt deny other people the right to their beliefs and go spouting 'im right' blah blah etc.

I voted for the last option, though I'm not exactly the crusading atheist type. I will defend my 'beliefs' (not quite sure what other word to use here, no irony intended ;) ) if i am questioned about them.

That's exactly what I meant be the last option. I didn't word it right though!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,062 ✭✭✭walrusgumble

Cumann Luthcleas Gael; G.A.A.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

/Looks at old posts.

I am an alatrist since I gave up christianity at oh, about eight years old. So I was never really one.
    An alatrist is an agnostic that would not worship a god even if that could was proved to exist.
    My agnostic beliefs also edge towards atheism, and I find religion to be for weak people. Weak in a way that they can not be blamed for, some people need something to believe in, to repress fear. Also, I am arrogant.
    I also find the term god to be a paradox, and as such, a god could not exist to me. It is not possible for something to be a god rather than just a powerful alien, at the most.
    Logic is just ignorance by numbers, but it is superior to any other ignorance.

I am of the opinion that since people here were brought up catholic they believe in that god, if you were brought up in Islam, that god, etc etc, ranging to Zeus...
    There are odd exceptions.
    Now, there will be christians or [religion here] that will go and say they have a personal relationship with their god, and that is all the evidence they need that he is real(How could he not be if they feel it in their hearts I hear them cry.), a god that says that he is the only god to exist... whilst some people of other faiths have the exact same belief that they have a personal relationship with their god and therefore no other god could exist.

God. It is just a pardoxical term to me.
    There are so many paradoxs to a god existing, it's just impossible under most peoples definition of a god, for said god to exist.
    Omniscience for instance. Is it impossible for him to know something which he does not know? (ie, knowledge of an omission is itself a knowable fact, so by implication, there must be at least one omission of which he's aware. Is it possible to reconcile this by saying that the fact of which he's unaware is the fact of the existence of this same omission?

As for a god existing that wants worship...hmm. No go.
    Why would ego exist to a god, if he is perfect, the supreme being?
    This being would just be a powerful alien to me.
    An alien race with vaster intelligence aren't gods, any more than we are gods compared to dogs or bacteria. That isn't what the term "god" means. We obey the same rule of nature and physics as anything else. A god wouldn't, by definition. Why would it be subject to ego, or even thought?
    Something that created us and wants worship is not worthy of it and something that created us that does not need worship, does not need it.
    It's like the christian god naming pride as a mortal sin but him being guilty of it himself. It is a paradox.
    This all depends on how you define a god, of course.

If I went back in time and used technology of today, people might believe I'm a god, but I am not, I'm just using a piece of technology.
    They think I am a god because I am so much more powerful than them that they could only see that as a possibility. The same applies for people now and something that created the universe.
    There is always a confusion between 'godlike' and 'God'. The advanced aliens might have powers that we considered godlike - as they say, any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic to the primitive. They might even have created us. So what?

Only if we choose to bow down and worship them are we setting them up as Gods - a fallacy exactly equivalent to a remote tribe worshipping a Western explorer because of the latter's technology.

If we advance to a point where we can create a universe etc, become immortal, not have to obey the laws of physics, 'ascend' as it were, would we become gods?
    We can already create life, maybe that is the next step.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭qwertplaywert

aethiest.next q

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,037 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

I was brought up in a strict atheist home, but lapsed when I was in my teens. I still consider myself atheist, but non practisisng, so I only really attend the bigger ceremonies..........

Seriously though, I dont have any religion but I find the subject of religion quite interesting. I have great respect for those who believe, and I mean really believe, in their religion, and practise it happily and willingly and without shame. Doesnt mean I dont still think they are totally wrong in their beliefs but at least they have the courage of their convictions.
    I have sod all respect for those who claim to have a religion, but in reality do not practise it in any way other than do the baptisms, weddings, bar mitzvahs and funeral bits (the good bits in other words).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 687 ✭✭✭kano476

I was raised catholic but to be honest I never understood why I should have to have religion. It has no effect on my life or the way I live it. Putting my trust in something that has never had the slighest influence in my life doesent make sense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 444 ✭✭Esmereldina

deswalsh wrote:
    I was brought up in a strict atheist home, but lapsed when I was in my teens. I still consider myself atheist, but non practisisng, so I only really attend the bigger ceremonies..........

:D maybe we should swop parents!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭connundrum

aethiest.next q

a/s/l?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,175 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

The whole notion of organised religions and their God is so ridiculous as to be laughable.

• Advertisement
Advertisement