Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Questions regarding Ripwave and Broadband in a box

Options
  • 07-02-2007 11:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭

Are there any alternative broadband in a box? What I need is broadband I can use at university on campus accommodation where residents are not permitted to install any box's on the roof etc

If not, would getting 2 rip wave boxes be an option? if one connection were to go down, would that mean the other one would also be down at the same time?

The reason I ask is that I need a 100% stable internet connection with no risk of dropping.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,227 ✭✭✭gamer

Ripwave depends,on height,los ,line of sight to aerial,distance from aerial.I HAVE IT upstairs to get good signal,5bars ,out of ten, 200k per second.BUY IT IN PEATS,TRY IT OUT .if signal is bad,bring it back,with,box,cdrom,manual, you get full refund I find it very reliable.if i cant acess web, i go to dos type,ipconfig renew \all .I have pc upstairs,i ran, 20ft cable,upstairs to ripwave on window,using standard rj45 cable.IT s like tv aerial,you have to move it round to find optimum position to improve signal.then leave it there.I THINK,vodaphone has 3g .gprs service ,it may be more reliable.40EURO amonth.QUALITY depends on are you near a phone mast.I dont know if there is a wireless service thats 100percent reliable,24/7.Could you get ntl cable/broadband installed?RIPWAVE needs to be on a window,facing transmitter,to work properly.Look at ibb website.re aerial locations/coverage maps.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭valor

why is height important?

I'm talking about UCD on campus accomodation which is very close to the RTE Mast which i believe is the closest one. in that case would height matter, ie if i got assigned a flat downstairs would it still work?

would being so close to the mast be beneficial to the signal?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭digitaldr

I thought UCD had free wireless on campus?

it does but it blocks certain things that I use the internet for [poker]

• Registered Users Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭digitaldr

Killjoys - or maybe their doing you a favour in the long run:)

• Advertisement

they really arent. do you know the answers to any of the questions i posed?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,227 ✭✭✭gamer

the signal does not travel thru buildings,works u line of sight,los.THEIR MUST BE direct line between the ripwave box and the transmitter,you can buy it in peats ,if you get bad,signal ,or no signal,you bring it back,with all packaging,within 3 days and get a full refund.i get 2bars ground floor, 5 bars on upstairs window,=thats 200k per sec speed.hold on to your receipt for ripwave,YOU MAY,have to bring it back.eg if theres a crane between you and aerial,that will weaken the signal.it doesnt work like an fm radio,thats why height ,position is critical,but theres probably people who have it on thier desk,getting 2bars signal,thats enuff 4 them.SUM people put it in attic window to get best signal,and run a cable to the pc.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

gamer wrote:
    the signal does not travel thru buildings,works u line of sight,los.THEIR MUST BE direct line between the ripwave box and the transmitter,you can buy it in peats ,if you get bad,signal ,or no signal,you bring it back,with all packaging,within 3 days and get a full refund.i get 2bars ground floor, 5 bars on upstairs window,=thats 200k per sec speed.hold on to your receipt for ripwave,YOU MAY,have to bring it back.eg if theres a crane between you and aerial,that will weaken the signal.it doesnt work like an fm radio,thats why height ,position is critical,but theres probably people who have it on thier desk,getting 2bars signal,thats enuff 4 them.SUM people put it in attic window to get best signal,and run a cable to the pc.

Ripwave works non line of sight. It's their breeze product that needs line of sight.

Line of Sight might help in signal strength for Ripwave but it's not needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,584 ✭✭✭✭kippy

The reason I ask is that I need a 100% stable internet connection with no risk of dropping
    No Irish domestic provider is going to give you this.

Ripwave and Clearwire offer a similiar service (I dont think a clear line of sight is needed for either product but based on reviews from friends and family, I could not reccomment either especially if you require anywhere near 100% stability.
    Kippy

• Registered Users Posts: 16,050 ✭✭✭✭event

valor wrote:
    The reason I ask is that I need a 100% stable internet connection with no risk of dropping.

like kippy said, i no irish ISP will give this, i doubt if many in th world could

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

Unless you're living directly under a Ripwave mast, forget about it; it's essentially a fixed-rate, dial-up substitute for people without phone lines, and personal experience is that it drops connections more often than it keeps them.

Advertisement