Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Entry Level Web Desgin

Options
  • 08-02-2007 12:30am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 44

How ye!

Just wondering has any1 here gone into web design straight from college? what kind of level is expected. What level of Flash etc

Doing a masters in Business which included a nice bit on web-design and database management and its an area im really intrested in. Designed a website for a course project (done entirely using css layouts) and currently designing a website that includes a shop front supported by Mysql database and PHP

Been a regular reader of the web-design mag and some of the stuff in there is seriously impressive- its kind of depressing at the same time.

Basically just wondering what level is expected (example of sample work people did before getting industry experince would be much appreaciated!)

Thanks

ps - In an effort to build up a work portfolio im offering to build any websites free of charge. just pm me with a list of requirements

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭smcelhinney

Masters in Business, and you're a script-kiddie? Hmm..

Only joking mate, you could do a lot worse. You could be a clamper..

In fairness tho, I didnt have any web experience when I started 8 years ago doing web design, but then again that was a junior webmaster role. Depends on what role you're going for. You'll get the experience along the way.

Most of the time, building a career in this involves staying abreast of industry standards. Whats CSS today is something far more advanced in 2 or 3 years time. I remember when Ajax was just a developers wet dream (and a fine brand of household detergent too).

So, my advice, keep your eear to the proverbial ground, and try and stay on top of trends. You'll find you can market yourself a lot easier to companies if you can prove that you're passionate about it. Its all well and good achieving tasks, etc, like building database driven websites in MySQL and PHP, but its useless to bleeding edge design companies who want Ajax driven websites.

Best of luck.

Also, send us on a sample of your work, we're always looking for good freelancers, particularly with good CSS.

Advertisement