Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ceiling height query

• 08-02-2007 1:36am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭

Hi all,

our downstairs ceiling height will be 7'9" or 2.37m due to having to put batons on the underside of our first floor concrete floors.

Whats the minimum height for ceilings as per regulations and for pure comfort?
    Does this sound too low?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,321 ✭✭✭✭muffler

2.40 metres is the min according to building regs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,615 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Your going o be a little over an inch under, but there isn't much you can do. Comfort probably won't be affected. Most people wouldn't notice.

what size battens are you using, can they be reduced at all?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭fatchance

In hindsight I should have used thinner ones. Expressed nailed 2"x2" to the underside of the concrete floors and then screwed 2"x1.5" to them. It took me two days and unfortunately the ufh pipes were not installed till after, so it was difficult to get exact height till I poured floor.

Plus it's amazing how off the concrete floors/ blocks were. At the lowest point I have baton on baton, and at the far corner of the room I had to use a baton as a packer to keep the ceiling level, it varied all over the place.

It's hardly worth the hasstle of changing the baton size of an inch, my heart couldn't cope with that!

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭rebellad

Have any people who have built recently found a ceiling height of 8 foot too low, am asking the engineer this evening about increasing mine from 8ft to 8 1/2 ft it and would be interested in peoples thoughts??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 597 ✭✭✭Supertech

I'd definitley do it rebellad. Any extra ceiling height gives a better sense of space in a room. Also allows you a bit of flexibility with flooring options in the future. Not sure too many houses are built to minimum ceiling height these days in any case.

There would obviously be a proportional increase in building costs and maintenance / heating costs to do what you're talking about, but worth it in my opinion.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,433 ✭✭✭sinnerboy

fatchance wrote: »
    In hindsight I should have used thinner ones. Expressed nailed 2"x2" to the underside of the concrete floors and then screwed 2"x1.5" to them. It took me two days and unfortunately the ufh pipes were not installed till after, so it was difficult to get exact height till I poured floor.

Plus it's amazing how off the concrete floors/ blocks were. At the lowest point I have baton on baton, and at the far corner of the room I had to use a baton as a packer to keep the ceiling level, it varied all over the place.

It's hardly worth the hasstle of changing the baton size of an inch, my heart couldn't cope with that!

I feel for you BUT .....

Tiling or timber flooring will take another 18-20mm away . you final dimension will be 2350mm . It may well be noticed when you sell on ( or re mortgage ) This may delay or even prevent a sale ( or re mortgage ).

2400mm is the min height floor to ceiling for habitable rooms - living room , dining etc . ( It can be reduced to utility , toilets etc . )

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,615 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

fatchance wrote: »

I know this post was from feb, so you're done and dusted no.
    but for anyone else in a similr spot. If you used 50x25mm (2"x1") for both batens you could of saved 1.5". Which would have got you to the min.

Even if you were fine regarding the regs, i'd almost always prefere the extra 1.5"
    rebellad wrote: »
    Have any people who have built recently found a ceiling height of 8 foot too low, am asking the engineer this evening about increasing mine from 8ft to 8 1/2 ft it and would be interested in peoples thoughts??

2550mm (8.5') is a nice size, i'd go for it, 100%

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,321 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Mellor wrote: »
    I know this post was from feb,
    You forgot the 2007 part :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭unclebill98

Was told to go 10ft in basement and 9ft ever where else. Has made a massive difference.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 782 ✭✭✭gibo_ie

Building two at the moment, put 9ft on ground floor and 8 1/2ft on first floor. This made a massive difference. I am well happy with the architects decision to do this. It really makes the place look much bigger too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭rebellad

Thanks guys, spoke with the engineer and he is fine with it - from the posts here looks like its the right thing to do!!

Advertisement