Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Quantum lecture

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,294 ✭✭✭Jack B. Badd

Job :)

Ah godammit! I was all excited about the announcement of a viable 16-qubit quantum computer until I read this.
    The phrase "D-Wave themselves admit that they "are not sure" if the device is actually doing quantum computations" does not exactly inspire confidence :(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,660 ✭✭✭Blitzkrieger

If it's not doing quantum computations, how did it get the answer?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,054 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Well, surely the difficulty with identifying something as being a quantum-type computer or not is that you need an initially time-consuming problem to confront it with (eg cracking some form of encryption where brute-force attacks are too timeconsuming to be useful), and then see if it consistently comes up with the right answer in a significantly shorter timespan.

There again, if they won't expose their tech to peer review I suspect something dodgy's going on somewhere.

There again again, I managed to crash out until nearly midnight last night, hence missing the bloody lecture, so I'm possibly in no position to talk about it. :o

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Useless priest, can't say mass.

Computation is computation, if there isn't a traditional computer in there, then something has to be afoot.

But yes, D-Wave sounds a tad cold fusion. There's probably a Celeron in there. Or a dwarf, cranking the handle on a babbage engine.

F*ck I'm a nerd.

adam

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,708 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

\o/ babbage engine!

Fysh wrote:
    Well, surely the difficulty with identifying something as being a quantum-type computer or not is that you need an initially time-consuming problem to confront it with (eg cracking some form of encryption where brute-force attacks are too timeconsuming to be useful), and then see if it consistently comes up with the right answer in a significantly shorter timespan.

Surely there has to be some other way of testing if the computer is performing quantum calculations rather than just using quantum mechanics as a part of the classical calculations without just timing it. I presume the test involves such ridiculously incomprehensible maths that the average twit with a physics degree wouldn't understand it. Or maybe not...

Advertisement