Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold radiator problem - has been bled

Options
  • 08-02-2007 10:40am
    Registered Users Posts: 9,795 ✭✭✭

As above. It isn't turned off and there is no heat in either of the pipes running to it. Any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭deckie27

probably full of air
    You will need to "bleed" it
    A proper key makes this job 10 times easier.
    The key is like a Key you would windup a clock with
    you should see a place in the top of the raditator (Back or side) that looks like a square headed screw
    Basically you open this a little and air will start comming out. when water starts comming out turn the key back again to close it.
    Job done.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Does it have thermostatic valve? - if so it could be stuck.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,795 ✭✭✭sweetie

It has been bled. Water comes out when I turn the key. See title of thread!
    Thanks. There is no thermostatic thingy on it either. Just regular plastic caps on both ends.
    deckie27 wrote:
    probably full of air
    You will need to "bleed" it
    A proper key makes this job 10 times easier.
    The key is like a Key you would windup a clock with
    you should see a place in the top of the raditator (Back or side) that looks like a square headed screw
    Basically you open this a little and air will start comming out. when water starts comming out turn the key back again to close it.
    Job done.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭deckie27

Sorry I never noticed

Is this the only radiator on the system that doesn't work ?

deckie27 wrote:
    Sorry I never noticed

Is this the only radiator on the system that doesn't work ?

That's ok.

The bathroom rad isn't wonderful but has some heat in it. Basically the heating has never been great. There is a massive rad in the kitchen extension that needs to be off to get more heat into the rest of the house. Plumber I use told me that the house was extended but the heating system wasn't.
    There are 9 rad in total. I have the hallway one switched off constantly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

It sounds like the system may need to be balanced. Some info here > http://www.diydata.com/projects/centralheating/balancing/balancing.htm

Also, is the pump working correctly? Some pumps have a speed switch - put it to maximum and see what happens.

I had a read and will try it tonight. Will also check temp gauge. Thanks to ye all.
    crosstownk wrote:
    It sounds like the system may need to be balanced. Some info here > http://www.diydata.com/projects/centralheating/balancing/balancing.htm

Also, is the pump working correctly? Some pumps have a speed switch - put it to maximum and see what happens.

Advertisement