Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Driving Test Questions

Options
  • 08-02-2007 10:50am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭

Hi folks,

Have text in 10 days and was wondering, can you be asked the braking distances and reaction distances in the oral part of the test?

Also, what other questions are common these days?

any help would be great!

thanks.

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,725 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Is it that difficult to learn them just in case they are asked/just in case you may ever need to know them?

edit: As for other possible questions - read the rules of the road (for a start) - many possible questions are answered in there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭Kadeshh

i got asked hand signals for turning pulling of etc and signals given by the gardai

can be asked anything in rules of road book. but dont think brakeing dist in there, just theory test.

braking distances albeit out of date figures are in the ROTR alright!

guess i need to go over it before my next test then!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

kbannon wrote:
    Is it that difficult to learn them just in case they are asked/just in case you may ever need to know them?

edit: As for other possible questions - read the rules of the road (for a start) - many possible questions are answered in there.

I have the Rules of the Road. That's where i saw the breaking/stopping distances.

I was wondering if they get asked because i saw them in the book.

• Advertisement

I would imagine that the safest thing is to presume that any related questions can be asked.

to digress slightly...

how do they work out the braking distance anyway.

surely something like a micra can stop much much quicker then a fat heavy s-class.

and if its just an average of a varity of weight classes is that not dangerous for those who drive heavier cars as they (falsely) believe their cars will stop in the suggested distance:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

the Braking system installed in the vehicle is chosen based on the weight and power characteristics of the vehicle.

To say a micra can stop faster than a 2.0 litre seat leon or golf doesn't make sense, because the golf and leon will have more rubber on the ground, larger brake disks and possibly ABS.

Its an average not a metric exact for every vehicle.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

Aren't the measurements in the ROTR taken from a Ford Anglia or some similar old mank, or is that just an urban myth?

Kadeshh wrote:
    surely something like a micra can stop much much quicker then a fat heavy s-class.
    A bigger car will have bigger tyres, brake discs/pads/caliper pistons, etc. It will take more energy to stop it but that doesn't mean that it will take longer!
    Aren't the measurements in the ROTR taken from a Ford Anglia or some similar old mank, or is that just an urban myth?
    Its true alright for the UK distances. The Irish distances are close but not identical to the UK ones (probably copied and changed slightly to look as if they weren't copied!).
    Im curious to know what the forthcoming edition of the ROTR will state!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

If they ask them or not is immaterial. It's more important that you know them. That's the whole point of it all ye know!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

What's important is that you know when to brake etc by being able to visually assess and judge correctly. not by looking out the windscreen and saying "mmm that looks about 74 metres so i better break soon.."

who knows anyone who can judge accurately how long a particular distance is within 10 metres never mind, 1?

Advertisement