Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

new student needs help with transportation

• 08-02-2007 11:04am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 19

Hi All,

I'm a new student who had been admitted to Carlow IT recently. But as I live near Tullow i have to commute everday to the college. Hence i decided to buy a car from a private seller in carlow. i don't have any previous experience with cars so before i buy i would love to get it checked by a motor mechanic. do you guys have anyone in mind in carlow town who can help me out with this?

/BR
    Ivan

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,479 ✭✭✭wheres me jumpa

There may be some students who will be able to help, finding them could be a problem though. Mechanical Engineering course is your best bet. A friend of mine was in the course and he and others were great with cars.

Do you mind me asking:

- What car is it?
    - What year?
    - How much?
    - NCT?
    - Any visible damage?
    - How clean does the engine look, ie is there a lot of oil visible.
    - When was it last serviced?
    - What was done in this service?
    - Do the tyres need changing?

By answering these we can get an idea if youre getting value for money. But you would still need someone in the know to give a quick look over.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,560 ✭✭✭Ivan

Cars are expensive and tricky enough that it is very worth it to have a professional mechanic have a look at it before forking out for it. At the very least someone who is very experienced with cars.

A friend of mine recently got stung, he bought a car for 2.5k from a car dealer. A month later he started to experience some engine trouble, car was stalling when he acceralated from a stop. He brought it into a garage and they told him it would cost €200. He paid it and when he got it back he found he still had the same problem so he took it back. Then they told him that it was probably the head gasket. Which would cost about €800 to €1.2k.

He's not happy :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,602 ✭✭✭ShayK1

Hey, Garry Frane in Tullow would be worth asking, you've also got Paddy Brennan, and Stephen O'Niell, all based in or around Tullow. I think Paddy Brennan would be the best guy to ask cause he's a really nice guy.

Where is the seller located?

Nobody else springs to mind but can I ask who you are or where abouts you live cause I'm from Tullow too .... My username kinda gives away my identify :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 380 ✭✭lynch_3001

some other things to ask b4 you go and buy a car, because i think that there is a bus from tullow to carlow it that will get you there before first lecture.
    first off :
    whats insurance like.
    whats it like on petrol.
    if it breaks down, whats the price of average of the parts.
    whats its likely hood to break down.

some things to think of when buying a car, over, say something almost reliable like a bus service where you dont have to worry about maintaince.
    i know that a car does bring ultimate indepence but just consider all the information as singular pieces coming together to eat into your pocket

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,962 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

admitted to..it ain't that bad;)

make sure the garage give you a pretty good guarantee with it.

Do check the insurance prices though cause the likes of a 2l can be cheaper to insure then a 1l if one is a good car and the other sucks etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 84,650 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Consider also, that maybe getting Carlow accomodation would be a better investment? No insurance/feul/car payoffs....and the convenience of it all.

Advertisement