Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sligo - News and Views

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,589 ✭✭✭Hail 2 Da Chimp

There's gonna be a hell of a lot of shops in one place, pity the roads aren't better then we could actually get to the new car parks :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,640 ✭✭✭Gillie

If they got the eastern bypass across the river and the W2 in place we might be getting somewhere!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

Gillie wrote: »
    If they got the eastern bypass across the river and the W2 in place we might be getting somewhere!

Away from sligo?

No but it will stop people who are trying to get through the town especially those going from the East of the town to Donegal/Manor/IT/Hospital etc.

Congestion is still a big problem here!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,392 ✭✭✭TequilaMockingBird

My spies (me) tell me, that a new Cafe is opening beside Penneys. It looks nice, good luck to them.

• Advertisement

Yep. Forget the name. Its where Jako used to be.

(And a looong time before that there was actually a video rental shop above that place believe it or not!)

Whats a video Gillie?

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,663 ✭✭✭JoeyJJ

Yep. Forget the name. Its where Jako used to be.

(And a looong time before that there was actually a video rental shop above that place believe it or not!)

Family TV and Video, fine selection before xtravision had there shop on castle st. Woolworths, Moodys oooh the nostalgia

JoeyJJ wrote: »
    Family TV and Video, fine selection before xtravision had there shop on castle st. Woolworths, Moodys oooh the nostalgia

What was moodys?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,663 ✭✭✭JoeyJJ

It was a small convienance shop which was located next to the record room or maybe where john kents is well one side of the old pipe shop on Gratton street.

Question what was the name of the chipper in O'Connell st that had the cowboy or something western as there logo? Think it used to be where Berger King was.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

My crystal ball tells of many empty shops and apartments.

We ARE heading for a downturn, so people won't spend money as freely any more

As it it stands, with difficult, expensive parking and congestion, going "shopping" in Sligo is not a pleasurable experience. Most people just do a quick dash for whatever they need.

Who's going to live in all those apartments ...and more importantly, where are they all going to work to earn the rent? Haven't heard of any major developments for jobs so that one could actually earn the money one is expected to spend in all those new shops.

JoeyJJ wrote: »
    Question what was the name of the chipper in O'Connell st that had the cowboy or something western as there logo? Think it used to be where Berger King was.

Hayleys Restaurant

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭daveboy01

Hayleys Restaurant
    Aaaaaah the memories.... before that it was Beezies i think... or Beezies was around there somewhere - maybe where the Bistro is now -can't remember:o

• Registered Users Posts: 43,895 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Nah.. Beezies was down across from the old Rockwood News shop.

Speaking of which.. you see the new pub where Beezie's was (what was there since? Manhattan.. and.... the expensive restaurant, can't recall it's name)? It was open last Saturday with people in there. But it was closed when i was going past on Monday and there a sign up it was only opening this weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭daveboy01

basquille wrote: »
    Nah.. Beezies was down across from the old Rockwood News shop.

Speaking of which.. you see the new pub where Beezie's was (what was there since? Manhattan.. and.... the expensive restaurant, can't recall it's name)? It was open last Saturday with people in there. But it was closed when i was going past on Monday and there a sign up it was only opening this weekend.

No I must be showing my age but Beezies was there where Burger King is now - I worked there for The Fleadh (in '88 I think it was:eek:). anyway it's going to be a book shop now:)

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭slavigo

Two Beezies.

Beezies was on O'Connell Street back a (good) few years ago and it sounds like it was a fabulous place. I can remember it (kind of) but never actually in it, if it's where I'm thinking of, it was a dark enough looking place. Someone was just describing it to me the other day, they said it was an old looking place, the kind we all know and love. Any time anyone brings it up, they have nothing but good things and fond memories from the place.

As for the Beezies down Tobergal lane.
    A very busy/popular place for a few years. Then it went a little quiet. They made an effort. They then opened Manhattan upstairs.

Anyway, blowing on now, the name of it when it reopened was McGraths. Was in there once but it was very quiet.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭slavigo

daveboy01 wrote: »
    No I must be showing my age but Beezies was there where Burger King is now - I worked there for The Fleadh (in '88 I think it was:eek:). anyway it's going to be a book shop now:)

Does this mean I'm smack bang in the middle bracket since I can remember both?

Any prizes?

Beezies was to the town what fiddlers is now if you can imagine that.
    Same type of ppl and age bracket. Beezies was next door to Burger king as far as I remember.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 220 ✭✭Rozbeef

The new place in tobergal lane is called The Tobergal Lane Café. Run by the same people who own Osta. Was in there on tuesday night, pretty empty but really good atmosphere. They only sell irish beer aswell (galway hooker,o hara etc.).

Food is a bit pricey but really really nice. It's worth checking out!

Rozbeef wrote: »
    The new place in tobergal lane is called The Tobergal Lane Café. Run by the same people who own Osta. Was in there on tuesday night, pretty empty but really good atmosphere. They only sell irish beer aswell (galway hooker,o hara etc.).

Food is a bit pricey but really really nice. It's worth checking out!

That sounds good Rozbeef, must try it.

I'm not in town today, is the traffic as mental as predicted for the Rally?
    They closed the Mercy Primary School for Health ans Safety reasons due to the Rally. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

A girl at work said it was pretty mental and that some roads would be closed this evening. Anyone know where you can find a list of roads that will be shut this weekend etc?

Oh yeah the café is really nice, has a bit of a french café type of feel about it but they make up for that with the local products.

This is all I could find regarding road closures.

http://www.sligococo.ie/News/Name,7393,en.html

sueme wrote: »
    This is all I could find regarding road closures.

http://www.sligococo.ie/News/Name,7393,en.html

See above link.

I have posted these in the Rally thread in the North West forum.

What North West Forum?

There is only Sligo!

i still don't know the names of the streets here!

* Ash Lane will be closed to all vehicular traffic daily from 6.00 a.m. to 7.00 p.m. from Thursday 15th November to Sunday 18th November 2007.
    * Quay Street will b e closed from 7.00 p.m. to 10.00 p.m. on Saturday 17th November 2007
    * Clarion Road will be restricted access only from 6.00 p.m. on Thursday 15th November 2007 to 8.00 p.m. on Sunday 18th November 2007.

which streets are these again?

there's a north west forum aswell! sorry only just noticed it too!

Rozbeef wrote: »
    i still don't know the names of the streets here!

* Ash Lane will be closed to all vehicular traffic daily from 6.00 a.m. to 7.00 p.m. from Thursday 15th November to Sunday 18th November 2007.
    * Quay Street will b e closed from 7.00 p.m. to 10.00 p.m. on Saturday 17th November 2007
    * Clarion Road will be restricted access only from 6.00 p.m. on Thursday 15th November 2007 to 8.00 p.m. on Sunday 18th November 2007.

which streets are these again?

there's a north west forum aswell! sorry only just noticed it too!

Of course there is a NW forum??!?

Ash Lane. If your heading to Manorhamilton/Enniskillen/The IT or the hospital you would use this road. You drive past heatmerchants and go straight through the mini roundabout

Quay Street. Where the town hall, Sligo City Hotel, and the Next entrance to the Quayside shopping centre is.

Clarion Road. The road that the Clarion Hotel, One side of the IT and the "tech" is.

ok cheers gillie :-) shouldn't affect me too much. i should really learn the names of the streets though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

Nah I didn't even know those three streets by name, they're kind of out of the way.

From the Weekender:

Traffic lights set to start countdown at busy crossing
    By Niamh Mullen

DIGITAL countdown traffic lights like those seen in Dublin are likely to be introduced in Sligo.

Sligo Borough Council is considering one for the Wine St. crossing from Lyons to Tohers, beside the GPO.

“We are looking into putting countdown traffic lights beside the GPO from Lyons to Tohers,” said executive engineer Michael Carty.

“If they prove successful we could consider rolling them out at other locations in the town,” he added.

This type of traffic light is used at several busy pedestrian crossings in Dublin - from Talbot Street to Henry Street, over O’Connell Bridge and at the Halfpenny Bridge.

A digital clock counts down from around 40 seconds until the green man appears. The aim is to encourage safer pedestrian crossing by letting people know exactly how long they have to wait.

But speaking at last week’s meeting of Sligo Borough Council Councillor Jimmy McGarry said he wanted to see the digital traffic lights at the main crossings on the Inner Relief Road.

He said he welcomed their introduction between Lyons and Tohers. However, he stressed there is a serious issue for elderly people, young people and those with disabilities trying to cross the Inner Relief Road, which is the widest road in the town.

Cllr Arthur Gibbons said: “We have had a problem with the time it takes people to cross the road.”

Mr Carty said there are no plans to introduce them at the Inner Relief Road. He stressed that the traffic lights currently in place “are absolutely adequate” and “state of the art”. The maximum wait, he said, is less than two minutes. He explained that as well as the button, there are sensors at the crossing to detect if people are waiting to cross.

He said the digital countdown system is usually in place where large numbers of people, who often have busy schedules, are trying to cross at the same time. He added that he had heard there is some abuse of them.

I would agree with the concerns for the Crossings along the new road. More often then not ppl go at the wrong time which is dangerous!

It's staggering that there is still no crossing at Chartbusters<>Kool Kidz.
    One of the busiest spots in Sligo!

• Advertisement

Also from the weekender:

Public put on alert for racecourse rezoning
    By Niamh Mullen

SLIGO people have been urged to lobby their elected representatives to ensure Cleveragh racecourse is not re-zoned for housing and commercial development.

That was the message at a meeting held last week by lobby group People First - a new organisation set up to campaign for the retention of green areas around the town.

Councillor Declan Bree (IND) told the meeting he firmly believed the county manager would bring forward proposals recommending that the area be rezoned and sold. "Revelations in the media that the county manager has been in secret negotiations with representatives of Sligo Race Company with a view to having race meetings moved from Cleveragh to an alternative racecourse developed at Cloonamahon is clearly a matter we should take note of," he said. He added that councillors were not informed of these negotiations or what plans the county manager had for the racecourse.

He explained that four years ago when the Sligo city and Environs Development Plan was being considered for adoption, the county manager and his officials recommended that councillors re-zone the lands at the racecourse for housing. However, this was rejected by councillors and zoned Public Open Space/Green Links.

He said the land should be leased for sport and recreational purposes if Sligo Racecourse Company decided to move.

Local historian Fiona Gallagher gave a well received presentation on the history of Cleveragh. She explained it was bought with "the pennies of the people" by the corporation in November 1947 at a bargain price. It has been leased to the Sligo Race Company since the 1950s.

Although Councillors voted against the proposals last time Cllr Bree said the people of Sligo still need to be vigilant. He cited the example of the Fair-green, where the people of the MCR thought it was secure as a green area, until officials suggested turning it into a car park. "People of the MCR area have led the way and have given heart to other communities who believe that their views are not being listened to," he said.

Members of the audience and the committee agreed there seemed to be link between suggestions to re-zone the land at the racecourse and plans to build the new Eastern River Bridge. Residents fear the approach road planned for Martin Savage Terrace could continue up through the racecourse if it is rezoned.

A member of the audience described Cleveragh as one of the most wonderful amenities in the North West. Another asked what chance there was of the county manager being relocated.

I love the last line here!

This is a huge issue. We do not need any more houses, especially in that area of Sligo. Huge density there already!

When did Declan Bree leave the Labour party?

Advertisement