Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sligo - News and Views

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 778 ✭✭✭Essexboy

Everything I hear about Johnston Court from a cross-section of people is negative, I have not met anyone who likes it. A sharp contrast with the media puffs it received.
    What do you think?

When/if Sligo gets SuperQuinn or Marks & Spencer it will improve.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭tuppence

Hi Dont know whether this is the right thread to post this in but two queries on pubs.
    Is Sheena na Gigs gone, or taken over? Perhaps my imagination and I missed it passing today.
    Any updates on Hardacons?

They used to be two decent places for xmas drinks, open fires as well...
    Thanks for any info :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,640 ✭✭✭Gillie

Sheil Na Gig (sp?) is Furey's on Bridge Street. Was in it Friday. They've done it up a bit and have a nice Fire going all the time.

Don't know what's happening with Hargadons.

Gillie wrote: »
    Sheil Na Gig (sp?) is Furey's on Bridge Street. Was in it Friday. They've done it up a bit and have a nice Fire going all the time.

Don't know what's happening with Hargadons.

Its Sheela Na Gig, (my spelling is desperate) no wonder they kept Fureys on the front! I actually thought they had it on before somewhere. Does it still belong to Dervish then and is there still a regular trad sessiun? Was there one on Friday? Its the kind of place tp get holed up in with a pint of guinness, or perhaps a hot toddy if its cold beside the fire. :)
    Unfortunately so was hargadons. :(

They had Sheela Na Gig wrote below Fureys on the signage. Not sure if its still there!

Not sure about the session. I would imagine it still does the trad!

Best place for a bit of trad on a Monday nite is the Harp

• Advertisement

Wheres the Harp? (I used to know sligo much better)

Quay Street. On the corner.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

They had Sheela Na Gig wrote below Fureys on the signage. Not sure if its still there!

Not sure about the session. I would imagine it still does the trad!

Sheela na gig was the building beside fureys gillie, that's been knocked and they are building a new and improved one. Fureys is still open as you mentioned but its technically a different pub, even though I'm fairly sure they were owned by the same person.

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭Iompair

Wasn't that Shenanigans not Sheela Na Gig?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

Oh yeah you're right sorry.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 46,098 ✭✭✭✭muffler

And just when I was looking forward to a peaceful Xmas ;)

For all of us who complain that there is no parking in Sligo:

As the Christmas rush gathers momentum, shoppers are being assured that there will be ample off-street parking available in and around the city centre in the coming week.

About 2000 ‘off-street’ car parking spaces are available in thirteen car parks in the city, both public and private, and, according to Sligo Borough Council, this should ensure that shopping in Sligo this Christmas will be an enjoyable and relaxed experience.

A Borough Council spokesperson told The Sligo Champion "There is ample off-street parking available in Sligo city to accommodate the large number of shoppers over the Christmas period. The large number of spaces, and their location convenient to the main shopping areas, will make life easier for people bringing their cars to Sligo.

The pedestrianisation of O’Connell St and the opening of new city centre stores is attracting an increasing number of visitors to Sligo, and I feel they are well catered for in terms of car-parking facilities".

The introduction of a new metering system earlier this year has been welcomed by motorists. A total of 80 meters have been installed throughout the city at designated locations, and the new meters are designed to accept credit cards, sterling and euro coins. Parking can also be paid for by mobile phone.

The opening of a new taxi rank in Abbey St provides greater choice for shoppers this Christmas.

Where possible, commuters are asked to consider using car parks on the fringes of the city centre, such as Connaughton Road and the new Glasshouse Hotel car park. It is also worth noting that Sligo Showgrounds are offering free car parking for the Christmas period.

The off-street car parks are located at Market Yard (97 spaces); Connaughton Road (200); Connaughton Rd/The Mall (125); Saint Anne’s (60); Abbey Street (81); Stephen Street (67); Quay Street (57); Wine Street (230); Sligo Cathedral (115); Sligo Showgrounds (200); Quayside Shopping Centre (375); Dunnes Stores, Adelaide Street (100); Glasshouse Hotel (200).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 evenkeel

Inform the powers that be about Boards.ie. They will get good ideas to bring to their meetings. Best change is from bottom up, all they seem capable of is creating 'red cow' havoc all over the country. Good luck with your endeavours. EK.

• Registered Users Posts: 46,098 ✭✭✭✭muffler

evenkeel wrote: »
    Inform the powers that be about Boards.ie. They will get good ideas to bring to their meetings. Best change is from bottom up, all they seem capable of is creating 'red cow' havoc all over the country. Good luck with your endeavours. EK.
    First of all welcome to the forum.

Now could you translate that post into either Irish or English so as I can grasp the point you are trying to make. :)

About time!!!

20-minute parking fee plan to help shoppers
    By Niamh Mullen

ARE you fed up paying to park for an hour when you just want to drop into a shop in Sligo town for a few minutes? Well, Sligo Borough Council plans to add a 20-minute option to on-street parking metres in 2008 to facilitate people who only want to do a few quick messages.

Since parking meters were introduced last summer people have complained that the minimum payment of one-hour was too long. Speaking to the Sligo Weekender last September, senior executive engineer Michael Carty admitted it was a problem.

All-day parking will also be extended in “some of the outlying areas where onehourly rates currently apply”. Pearse Road, The Mall, Church Hill and Finisklin are the areas under review.

The changes are included in Sligo Borough Council’s draft budget, which was up for consideration by councillors at a meeting last night (Monday).

The report also outlines a proposal to remove illegally-parked vehicles from the Market Yard Car Park on Fridays and Saturdays. “Traders have complained that their livelihood is being threatened as their paid up trading bays are regularly occupied by illegally parked vehicles and despite strict enforcement of car parking bye laws, the problem, although reduced, persists.”

The total parking meter control cost proposed in the budget is •290,000.

A sum of •20 million is the total estimated expenditure by the borough council for the year. That is an increase of •1.3 million or 7.3% on 2007. A rate increase of 5.8% is proposed. This results in a rate in the pound of •1.92.

The local authority has not yet heard from the Department of the Environment, Heritage and Local Government regarding its grant from the Local Government Fund.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭daveboy01

Thanks for posting that Gillie. It gladdened me a bit to read this bit in particular. [PHP]Stephen Street Square is another related project under consideration. It will involve the reorganisation of the junction with Markievicz Road and traffic calming measures opposite Ulster Bank, as well as paving, pedestrian-friendly pavements and a ramp for people with special needs. It will connect across Hyde Bridge to O’Connell Street.

The borough council proposes to develop the scheme through the public consultation phase and Part 8 in 2008 with construction beginning in 2009. The area of the scheme is approximately 1,500 square metres.

In the long term it is envisaged that both Quay Street and Stephen Street car parks will be developed as inner urban parks.

The budget reads: “Each location has the advantage of being adjacent to water, be it the estuary or the Garavogue River which add to the amenity value of each proposed park.”
    [/PHP]It probably won't happen for a few years yet but a civic space / town sqaure outside the Ulster Bank would be great I thinkI've believed for a long time that Sligo is badly in need of some civic space or a town sqaure. I actually think if the Wine Street car park development doesn't go ahead they should build a multi story car park there and cover the rest in grass/paving and make it into a town square

That would make a lot of sense! When you have the oppertunity to do something like that you have to grab it! In fairness how many car parking spaces are we talking about between the two car parks? Not even 100!

From todays Champion:

THE author of Lonely Planet's Guide to Ireland, released this month, claims that despite Ireland's green efforts and reputation, the country is still not doing enough to protect the environment. The 8th edition guide says: "Ireland's 40 shades of green don't, it seems, include the all-important eco-green", pointing out that "everyone has a car" and the country's carbon footprint is "more than double the global average". Worryingly, the guide explains how recent polls have shown "the Irish are slightly less concerned about the environment than are the citizens of most other European countries.
    The book emphasises the impact environmental damage could have on tourism, stating: "sustainable travel has to become a core issue if Ireland is to continue attracting visitors with its mix of great scenic beauty, distinctive heritage and wonderful culture.

"They're just a few hours by road from Dublin, yet Mayo and Sligo have a genuine off-the-beaten-track feel to them. Both are rural, sparsely populated and blessed with beguiling natural beauty. A traveller looking to get away from the modern pace of life need only to make a beeline for Mayo and Sligo's remote islands, deserted beaches, desolate bogs and humble Gaeltacht enclaves populated by maybe a few hundred souls.

Co. Sligo: "Tiny Co. Sligo packs as much poetry, myth and folklore into its lush landscape as any shamrock lover could ever hope for.

Sligo Town: "Sligo is no 'tidy town' slumbering in dreams of past glories. To be sure, it's nicely arranged around the River Garavogue, with stone bridges, historic buildings, pedestrian streets and inviting shop fronts. But, displaying a modern vitality, Sligo dares to mix it up, thrusting glass towers upon prominent corners. Its citizens love to dine out in an impressive array of international eateries. The town seems quite comfortable with itself, in no hurry to shed its vaunted cultural traditions and seeing no need to be overly protective of them, either. The arts and nightlife here simmer with a healthy mix of excellent ceilidh sessions and genre bending contemporary oil paintings. On warm days, it can be seen like all the town is seated at restaurant tables along the quay. For so compact a burgh, there's an awful lot going on in Sligo."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 242 ✭✭Jabby

I believe The Mayor disagreed with the findings recently that Sligo was found to be one of the most untidiest towns in Ireland. What did he find so disagreeable? Look around you for God sake and do something about it instead of making daft excuses about it.
    It should also be pointed out to him and his officials that having Christmas lights up on the end of January also constitutes litter. Is there another town in Ireland that had them up at the end of January I wonder?
    It crossed my mind at one stage though that maybe they were going to be Ireland's first Easter lights. Alas No.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 778 ✭✭✭Essexboy

Drove out from town yesterday.
    The Hughes Bridge is a disaster: one queue stretched out the Bundoran Road to Hendersons while the queue for Manorhamilton etc. tailed back across the bridge.
    The only traffic moving freely was for Rosses Point.
    All this talk of a new N15 is pointless; the same people who made a b@lls of the Inner Relief Road will be responsible for that road when/if it is built.

And another thing :mad: when will the County Council correct the sign on the Bundoran Road? The word is CENTRE, not CENTER!

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭wolf99

@jabby

I noticed they only took the ones from hight street down the other day because they had broken and were fallen down in the street.

so the council is a fan of letting gravity do its work.

Also noticed in relation to the litter thing that after years of excuses bins have appeared (without any fuss at all) along the mall.
    btrilliant.
    just in time for the vigours of IT rag week to have a go at ripping them up/dancing on top of them, getting sick on them/etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,392 ✭✭✭TequilaMockingBird

• Advertisement

Hope they are successful in stopping this and preserving the site:
    http://www.sligoweekender.ie/news/story/?trs=mhojaugbmh&cat=news

Advertisement