Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sligo - News and Views

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 778 ✭✭✭Essexboy

Gillie wrote: »
    Hope they are successful in stopping this and preserving the site:
    http://www.sligoweekender.ie/news/story/?trs=mhojaugbmh&cat=news

The Corporation and County manager seem obsessed with building over Sligo's green spaces eg the fair Green.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,640 ✭✭✭Gillie

Small minded really!

Imagine how wonderful it would be to have the racecourse as a park!

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭dardevle

personally like to see the racemeeting stay there and utilise the
    open space more,such as playground, park and improve the running/athletics side of it.

hard to understand the thinking behind moving the race meet out of town when you can walk from town to the track have some scoops an a wager and be no hassle to no-one.

instead:lets take it to the sticks!:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,047 ✭✭✭Culchie

dardevle wrote: »
    personally like to see the racemeeting stay there and utilise the
    open space more,such as playground, park and improve the running/athletics side of it.

hard to understand the thinking behind moving the race meet out of town when you can walk from town to the track have some scoops an a wager and be no hassle to no-one.

instead:lets take it to the sticks!:confused:

I'd agree.

You always see these great community 'pushes' for playgrounds in large towns and cities..... after they have been open a couple of monyhs, there are empty.

Seen it all over UK and Dublin .... todays kids don't want to play on the swings (or the parents can't be arsed going outside with them).

Heard a headmaster from rural Tipperary school during the week. School had 238 pupils. He conducted a survey on that particular day. One student (yes 1) had cycled to school that day.

When I was at school, not too long ago:eek:....god help anyone that tried to cross the road in front of the school exit peleton.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,663 ✭✭✭JoeyJJ

Yeah, i'd agree people want the world but once they get it don't use it.. What we don't need in this area is more housing.

Culchie i'd say it was a few years since you were at school !
    ohh that was off topic maybe i'll get banned.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,401 ✭✭✭sligobhoy67

We do need a road across to the north east side of the town and the only viable option that I have heard is the road through the racecourse.

I dont see a problem with building on the site and replacing the facility with something better out in say Collooney

• Registered Users Posts: 1,797 ✭✭✭bobcar61

Did anybody see in the weekender 2 weeks ago the plans for a new housing estate,I meant to say this back then but completely forgot.

Link:
    http://archives.tcm.ie/sligoweekender/2008/03/18/story35100.asp

According to this its going to be huge,will it turn into another Cranmore if it goes ahead.

We do need a road across to the north east side of the town and the only viable option that I have heard is the road through the racecourse.

I dont see a problem with building on the site and replacing the facility with something better out in say Collooney

But it's not going through the racecourse! They're going straight through Martin Savage Terrace! That's what all the tomfoolery is about!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 731 ✭✭✭Madge

bobcar61 wrote: »
    Did anybody see in the weekender 2 weeks ago the plans for a new housing estate,I meant to say this back then but completely forgot.

Link:
    http://archives.tcm.ie/sligoweekender/2008/03/18/story35100.asp
    According to this its going to be huge,will it turn into another Cranmore if it goes ahead.

I seen that alright but I wonder will it ever happen as it's a fair bit out of town and I don't see the residents of the Hazelwood area accepting it too easily

Oh Christ please no!
    Crazy idea.

The hazelwood site has huge potential but should be used purely for Tourism/Culture!

Is nothing sacred? Yeats must be turning in his grave!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43,895 ✭✭✭✭Basq

JoeyJJ wrote: »
    Culchie i'd say it was a few years since you were at school !
    ohh that was off topic maybe i'll get banned.
    JoeyJJ..

Enough of those smart-arse comments please.

Myself and muffler have never banned anyone for going off-topic. If someone was banned for being "off-topic", it was due to ignoring our warnings to stay on-topic if a thread was being inundated with these type of comments.

And we don't give care if there's a few off-topic comments here and there. But it's when a series of off-topic comments completely derails the thread that we have a problem with it.

Please continue with the thread as normal...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

I read about that development in hazelwood as well.

Honestly I'll be interested to see Sligo in 20 years - especially what's done about the Quays. They've got great potential.

20 years normal time = 50 Sligo Years * % of bad planning / Pointless Objections - Parking Spaces

I think i've cracked the formula!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭tuppence

Oh Christ please no!
    Crazy idea.

The hazelwood site has huge potential but should be used purely for Tourism/Culture!

Is nothing sacred? Yeats must be turning in his grave!
    Where is Hazelwood again? Is it that scenic area near racecourse, down by doorly park? Sure nothing is sacred when you see the likes of the "Spainish apartments" on the lake. :eek: What would Yeats say on that one. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

Well, this is what Rockwood Parade looked like back in 1984...

Hazlewood is out on the dromahair road from the ballinode direction and its in on the right hand side....its the area that was highlighted for dogging in the Sligo post...very scenic area.

Xiney wrote: »
    Well, this is what Rockwood Parade looked like back in 1984...

Looks just a little bit different now doesn't it.

Looks just a little bit different now doesn't it.

Defo a vast improvement!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭YeatsCounty

Funny thing is, Castle Street probably looked better back then than it does now. :-p

Funny thing is, Castle Street probably looked better back then than it does now. :-p

It probably looked better for its time but I doubt it looks better than it does now giving the generation we are in,if that makes sense but id say back in the early 1900's it was quite a classy street but I could be completely wrong.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,392 ✭✭✭TequilaMockingBird

I've seen photos from the late 1800's, and it looks much the same! Horses and carts, different clothes, but the buildings look much the same.

I understand what you're getting at but I must disagree simply for the reason that there were probably more open businesses on the street 20 years ago than now.* The architecture of most of the buildings wouldn't have changed much (there's a few protected structures on Castle Street, aren't there?), it's just that the street looks lonely now.

* I'm completely open to interpretation on this point.

Your probably right but I think the proposed developments will help improve things!

Your probably right but I think the proposed developments will help improve things!
    If this is about Castle Street, then I agree.

What proposed developments are there.Have I been aslepp for the last ages or something,all I know about is Woods' and the Teeling Street to Market Street one but will that incorporate the buildings on Castle Street?

I think they will. Time will tell!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

What proposed developments are there.Have I been aslepp for the last ages or something,all I know about is Woods' and the Teeling Street to Market Street one but will that incorporate the buildings on Castle Street?

Here's a list of what's planned for Castle St;

1. development at this site Nos. 5, 6, 7 & 8 Castle Street and Rockwood Parade, Sligo. The site contains buildings which are protected structures. The development will consist of:

-Demolition of Rear 3 storey annex building to No. 8 Castle Street. -

- Revision to number of car spaces to 59 no. spaces. Existing access off Rockwood Parade is retained.

- Extension of basement (149.6m2), with new access ramp from upper level.

- Amendment of middle block residential stair cores and provision of enclosed pedestrian access routes from Rockwood Parade and fire escape route to comply with Fire Certificate requirements.

- Minor internal revisions to bar/restaurant to Rockwood Parade to include new internal stairs to new mezzanine and internal room changes (175.4m2 total area).

- Upper Ground Floor Level: - New mezzanine level to bar/restaurant (115m2) with glazed open area openng up to first floor Courtyard space over.

- Amalgamation of the previously approved 2 retail units into 1 retail unit to Castle Street.

2. Mixed use scheme with a gross floor area of 894sq.m. on a 0.033 hectare site at 31 & 32 Castle Street, Sligo. No 32 is a protected structure & the entirety of the site is located within the Market Cross Architectural Conservation area.

The proposed developement will consist of: A) alterations and additions to existing buildings to Castle street, included internal works at first floor levels to facilitate a change of use from ancillary stores to retail units, internal works at second floor levels to facilitate a change of use from ancillary store to 1 No. 1-bed apartment and 1 No. 3-bed apartment with conversion of the roof space and revised elevational treatment to rear.

B) alterations/ part demolition of existing one and two-storey return to rear.

C) erection of five storey structure to rear comprising of extension to 2 No. retail units at ground floor, 2 No. retail units at first floor, 1 No. one bed apartment and communal courtyard at second floor, 1 no. one-bed apartment at third floor.

D) 1 No. one-bed apartment at fourth floor.

E) alterations to facade on castle street.

3. Demolition of a single storey rear store and to construct two storey rear extension providing gallery and ancillary accommodation including stairs and toilets at The Cat and the Moon,, 4 Castle Street, Sligo

4. Retention and completion of alterations and change of use to (a) ground floor from existing retail to retail and off-licence, (b) first and second floor to Cafe, kitchen ancillary use in lieu of residential, (c) extension to first floor at rear all at No. 25 Castle Street , Sligo.

5. No. 10/11 Castle Street, Sligo. The development will consist of: the change of use of existing retail premises to restaurant located on the ground floor with staff facilities at basement level, this building is a protected structure.

A lot of the planning applications have conditions attached, which you can check out on the Sligo Borough Council's website. Don't use Firefox though if you are doing so as it doesn't work too well on this site.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 778 ✭✭✭Essexboy

Sligo County Council are being asked to bypass the normal planning procedures for a house in Rosses Point. Why? and why is a councillor from another electoral area proposing this be done?

Section 140 Motion
    Consideration of Local Government Act 2001 Section 140 motion to grant planning permission to Mr John Mullaney to construct a dwelling house, septic tank and percolation area at Ballyweelin, Rossespoint, Co. Sligo, in accordance with plans
    submitted on Planning Register PL07/1272

see http://www.sligococo.ie/YourCouncil/CouncilAgendas/Agenda%20of%20April%20Ordinary%20Meeting.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 46,098 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Essexboy wrote: »
    Sligo County Council are being asked to bypass the normal planning procedures for a house in Rosses Point. Why? and why is a councillor from another electoral area proposing this be done?

Section 140 Motion
    Consideration of Local Government Act 2001 Section 140 motion to grant planning permission to Mr John Mullaney to construct a dwelling house, septic tank and percolation area at Ballyweelin, Rossespoint, Co. Sligo, in accordance with plans
    submitted on Planning Register PL07/1272

see http://www.sligococo.ie/YourCouncil/CouncilAgendas/Agenda%20of%20April%20Ordinary%20Meeting.pdf
    First of all thats in relation to a meeting just over a year ago so Im sure its done and dusted by now. The thing to note that the Section 140 motion first of all must have the support of two thirds of the elected members in that particular electoral area. When the motion has been signed by the appropriate members it is then sent to the County Manager for inclusion in the next full meeting of the County Council where it can then be proposed by any elected member from any electoral area.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭tuppence

muffler wrote: »
    First of all thats in relation to a meeting just over a year ago so Im sure its done and dusted by now. The thing to note that the Section 140 motion first of all must have the support of two thirds of the elected members in that particular electoral area. When the motion has been signed by the appropriate members it is then sent to the County Manager for inclusion in the next full meeting of the County Council where it can then be proposed by any elected member from any electoral area.
    He can surprise you can t he? :D

Advertisement