Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sligo - News and Views

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 46,098 ✭✭✭✭muffler

tuppence wrote: »
    He can surprise you can t he? :D
    Im not just a pretty face you know ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

muffler wrote: »
    Im not just a pretty face you know ;)

Don't worry muffler, I wouldn't have ever thought that.

*runs away* (quite fast, quite fast)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,797 ✭✭✭bobcar61

I just read in the Sligo Weekender that 5 councillors are trying to get the speed limit on the stretch of road from Cloonamahon to Castlebaldwin reduced from 100km/h to 80km/h and they state that the road improvements wont be complete until 2012 so we can add another few years on that anyways.

What do people think to a lower speed limit on the N4,I myself think its daft,shouldn't all National Routes have a 100km/h limit?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,640 ✭✭✭Gillie

bobcar61 wrote: »
    I just read in the Sligo Weekender that 5 councillors are trying to get the speed limit on the stretch of road from Cloonamahon to Castlebaldwin reduced from 100km/h to 80km/h and they state that the road improvements wont be complete until 2012 so we can add another few years on that anyways.

What do people think to a lower speed limit on the N4,I myself think its daft,shouldn't all National Routes have a 100km/h limit?

No f*ckin way should it be reduced! It's bad enough with all the tractors and artics slowing us up!

Just my opinion anyway!

I think we have the same opinion,but I have a feeling it might have something to do with the road crash that happened along that stretch a few months ago that caused the road to be closed.

Link: http://www.sligoweekender.ie/news/story/?trs=mhojcwgbgb&cat=news

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 778 ✭✭✭Essexboy

muffler wrote: »
    First of all thats in relation to a meeting just over a year ago so Im sure its done and dusted by now. The thing to note that the Section 140 motion first of all must have the support of two thirds of the elected members in that particular electoral area. When the motion has been signed by the appropriate members it is then sent to the County Manager for inclusion in the next full meeting of the County Council where it can then be proposed by any elected member from any electoral area.

Look at the date on the agenda again - it is is a current motion!
    It should have been discussed last Monday, 7 April, but the meeting was adjourned until next Monday, 15 April.

it can then be proposed by any elected member from any electoral area
    Legally correct but councillors usually prioritise their own area. There are 6 councillors in the Drumcliffe Area, including 1 in Rosses Point, but none of them put a motion forward.

What is so special about this man that he should be allowed bypass the planning procedure which other people (including me) have gone through?

• Registered Users Posts: 46,098 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Essexboy wrote: »
    Look at the date on the agenda again - it is is a current motion!
    It should have been discussed last Monday, 7 April, but the meeting was adjourned until next Monday, 15 April.

it can then be proposed by any elected member from any electoral area
    Legally correct but councillors usually prioritise their own area. There are 6 councillors in the Drumcliffe Area, including 1 in Rosses Point, but none of them put a motion forward.

What is so special about this man that he should be allowed bypass the planning procedure which other people (including me) have gone through?
    Apologies, it is a current motion.

Planning/politics are intertwined and its a function that the members have so they are open to use that function when and where they see fit. I have no idea of the circumstances surrounding the case in question but the majority of the members obviously felt that the planners were wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

There are stretches of the N4 that should have a 50mph limit - if yr driving towards Dublin there are some bends between Colooney & Castlebaldwin that are very dangerous & I don't think a reduced limit would do any harm. On the flip side, I'd increase the limit along all stretches of dual carraigeway to 70mph in the same way they're doing on the Dublin/ Cork Road.

I think we have the same opinion,but I have a feeling it might have something to do with the road crash that happened along that stretch a few months ago that caused the road to be closed.

Link: http://www.sligoweekender.ie/news/story/?trs=mhojcwgbgb&cat=news

Fair enough but I think we both know that reducing the limit to 80 is not going to affect any potential accidents!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 991 ✭✭✭Big_Mac

I've done regular haulage runs to Dublin via that road in an Artic and its a nightmare. I don't see a reduced speed limit making any difference, because most people dont take any notice of them anyway. (not that I've seen anyway)

one of the biggest cause of accidents* (or lucky escapes) is people pulling out in front of trucks thinking they can move on ahead of them. It has happened to me a few times and is very dangerous. People do not seem to have any concept of the fact that you are doing 50mph in a truck with about 30 -40 tonne load behind you. Stop quickly? Avoid the little car without getting seriously injured? I very much think not.

*I use this term loosely. There are no such things as accidents on the road, as this would imply that there is no one at fault. 99% of the time an accident is caused by some sort of human error.

• Advertisement

Interesting. The Wine Street Development is back on track and it is in Callside's interests not to delay:

Sligo is 15 years behind the times, says councillor
    By Sharon Conway

LABOUR councillor Veronica Cawley has expressed concern that Sligo is lagging 15 years behind other towns of similar size, in terms of development.

She was speaking in relation to the decision of Sligo Borough Council to proceed with the contract with Callside Development Ltd for the development of Wine Street car park at last Monday night’s borough council meeting.

It emerged at the meeting that town clerk John McNabola had held discussions with Callside in an effort to resurrect the commercial development of Wine Street car park.

This was a reversal of the council’s original decision last month to rescind the contract with them due to five years lapsing without certain requirements being met.

Speaking at the council meeting last week Cllr Cawley said: “What assurances do we have that this development will definitely happen? I am worried that we can’t force people to start building”

The Labour councillor said she was particularly worried about the uncertain economic climate in Ireland and the effect it could have on the continuing development of Sligo Town which is already lagging behind.

She said: “The people of Sligo are frustrated with the slow pace of development here. We need to decide, either we will go for developing the town centre or we should look at out of town development. One or the other. We are 15 years behind the times and need to make up our minds now”.

As part of the Sligo Town Centre Masterplan, it was agreed that financial penalties will apply if Callside fail to commence construction in accordance with terms outlined in the Masterplan report. The penalties will be €50K per month for the first 6 months of delay and €100K per month thereafter.

Pentalties will also be imposed if Callside fail to complete construction within two years of commencement. The company will be charged be €50K per month for the first six months (after the two years), and €100K per month thereafter.

An Bord Pleanala has still to grant planning permission.

Also speaking at the borough council meeting, Fine Gael councillor David Cawley said the penalty for commencement and completion of construction is a good thing.

“If you have them with their wallet, then their hearts and minds will follow”, he said.

The borough council agreed to allow Callside Development Ltd to proceed as seeking a new developer could result in the council incurring legal proceedings, further delaying the process.

Main question is though,will it get planning permission.

I had heard before about the proposed 300+ homes but not the supermarket.

I'm sure there will be plenty of objections,the local residents wont be happy!

Main question is though,will it get planning permission.

I had heard before about the proposed 300+ homes but not the supermarket.

I'm sure there will be plenty of objections,the local residents wont be happy!

Where is this proposed development set for bob?

D'oh sorry forgot to add the link.

Its for Shannon Eighter,new road will be built to access it from the Old Bundoran Road.

Link: http://www.sligoweekender.ie/news/story/?trs=mhojmhidsn&cat=news

Oops:cool:

D'oh sorry forgot to add the link.

Its for Shannon Eighter,new road will be built to access it from the Old Bundoran Road.

Link: http://www.sligoweekender.ie/news/story/?trs=mhojmhidsn&cat=news

Oops:cool:

Considering that there is currently a slowdown in the economy, and the fact that we have trouble filling the shopping center in Johnston's court along with the retail park in Cleveragh, I have to ask..... do we really need another shopping center multiplex? Is this not a bit of overkill?

I guess you can look at it like that but if a supermarket goes in,then great for all the houses been built in the same development and nearby houses,and its hardly going to be a shopping complex that will be attracting high street names,I would have presumed pharmacy,newsagent,post office,creche,hairdressers,coffee shop maybe.

I guess you can look at it like that but if a supermarket goes in,then great for all the houses been built in the same development and nearby houses,and its hardly going to be a shopping complex that will be attracting high street names,I would have presumed pharmacy,newsagent,post office,creche,hairdressers,coffee shop maybe.

Methinks it may be more the case that they can't draw the big names because its so far out of town (relativly speaking)

Maybe Argos can be the flagship? Ah no, wait.... its still within the town boundaries..... roll on chamber of commerce :mad:

What kind of big name shops would you have expected to be out there in the first place.
    I wouldn't have thought any!

In fairness at least they are trying to locate services beside the development.

They did the same up at Knocknagany/Crozen recently.
    Not sure if it's working up there though!

Gillie wrote: »
    In fairness at least they are trying to locate services beside the development.

Yeah, but you'd hardly call these developments huge, and a development of 300 living units though?

• Advertisement

Big_Mac wrote: »
    Yeah, but you'd hardly call these developments huge, and a development of 300 living units though?

That whole region is massive!
    Unless your referring to the new development as not being huge?

That whole region is massive!
    Unless your referring to the new development as not being huge?

It is huge, if by huge you mean land mass. Lets face it, its not like it extremely densely populated out there now is it? I think that it may be a little big, and would urbanise a rural area that people would already living in

• Registered Users Posts: 4,392 ✭✭✭TequilaMockingBird

I was surprised Tesco are members of the Chamber of Commerce.

http://www.sligochamber.com/memberslist2.asp

The shop and creche are doing well. Thats all there is though! The shop is a God send.

sueme wrote: »
    The shop and creche are doing well. Thats all there is though! The shop is a God send.

Now we know where you live!:D;)

Nooooo, thats where my brother lives... y'know the bodybuilder guy with the dogs, tattoos and medieval knife collection? Yep. Him. Uh-huh, my big brother.

Gulp.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 320 ✭✭tulipandthistle

Nooooo, thats where my brother lives... y'know the bodybuilder guy with the dogs, tattoos and medieval knife collection? Yep. Him. Uh-huh, my big brother.

Gulp.

Gasp!!:eek: So ehm... are you my sister in law?:confused:
    Could've sworn you just described Mr Tulip! ;)

Gulp.

Now now, less of the fibs sueme............ I don't have any sisters;)

Gulp.

Let's see:
    -Bodybuilder - Meh. Getting there!
    -Dogs - 2. One is a big German Sheperd
    -Tattoo's - 3!
    -Knifes - Work in progress!

Sounds like me..

• Advertisement

Let's see:
    -Bodybuilder - Meh. Getting there!