Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sligo - News and Views

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,659 ✭✭✭magnumlady

peasant wrote: »
    re parking my suggestion would be park & ride facilities at either end of town.

Car parks at the retail park and somewhere near Hargadons on the other side of town and buses to the city centre in 10 -15 min intervals.

Comparatively low cost, plus it keeps the casual traffic out of town.

Yes this would be great.
    Although there would still be the problem of trying to park if you are doing you're weeks shopping in Tesco. So I'd love to see this and an out of town supermarket.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

Gillie wrote: »
    Where else would you suggest Brian?

I would look at putting one up high/market street as part of the regeneration myself!
    They could put the traffic management aspect in place quite easily!

The truth is Sligo was built in such a haphazard way (for centuries, its not the councils fault for once) that its hard to think of a spot that would suit. Wonder if there is anywhere between the county council offices and the riverside or whatever that would be suitable? If a major job was done on Connaughton road you might fit a good few cars in, but again entering and exiting the car park is already pretty bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,640 ✭✭✭Gillie

Connaughton Road would be perfect BUT it is too far from the Centre!

There is actually tonnes of space in the High Street/Market Street area!
    If you look at the area i've circled in the pic there is plenty of room.
    The roads in that area are in most cases too narrow anyway so why not put a decent one way system in place for a Multi Storey Car Park.

Just my two cents!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

Man I wasn't going to rant about drivers, but they always want to be so close to everything. If you park in the connaughton road carpark, hop the wall (if there was work done on it I imagine there would be an exit to the mall) and walk down stephen street. Thats less than five minutes to be in the "centre". Sligo isn't really big enough to talk about a town centre anyways, you can walk across it from one end to another in thirty mins imo.

Edit: looking at where you circled, yeah its a good spot but isn't it just one big hill? And as you mentioned the roads suck.

Yes the roads suck hence I reckon that's all they'd be good for.

Connaughton Road is fine for some but not for others.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,663 ✭✭✭JoeyJJ

Speaking of parking, 2.20 min for the parking at the hospital, someone is taking the piss here, alot of people only going in to visit for 20 mins.

• Registered Users Posts: 46,098 ✭✭✭✭muffler

JoeyJJ wrote: »
    Speaking of parking, 2.20 min for the parking at the hospital, someone is taking the piss here, alot of people only going in to visit for 20 mins.
    Same in Letterkenny. I would imagine its the same company that operate both car parks.

muffler wrote: »
    Same in Letterkenny. I would imagine its the same company that operate both car parks.

It's Eurocar Parks.

It's 4.40 for up to 24 hours! 2.20 min is excessive but I guess that's how they make their dosh!

From the Weekender:

Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Tesco renews efforts for new Carraroe store

TESCO have renewed their efforts to develop a new store in Sligo at Carraroe.

They have made a lengthy sub-mission ahead of the preparation of a new Sligo and Environs Development Plan, calling for a change in the present restriction on the type of goods which can be sold outside of the town centre.

The restriction has prevented Argos setting up in the retail park in Carraroe, as well as thwarting Tesco’s plans.

Tesco claim that the objectives for retail strategy for Sligo are “founded in the aspirations and concerns of a market town rather than a city”.

And Sligo County Manager Hubert Kearns has admitted that “the current retail offer appears to be unsatisfactory in terms of variety, location and net floor space”.

Tesco have already got planning permission for a major re-development of their store at the Wine Street car park but also want to develop a much bigger store at Carraroe on a site directly opposite the retail park.

They applied for planning permission back in 2005 as part of a proposed new multi-million District Centre development by solicitor Raymond Monahan and his wife, Eileen, which was to have 12 other retail and service units and a separate warehouse type retail outlet.

However, it was shot down because of a number of objections, including one from Sligo Chamber of Commerce, on the basis on the restriction in the development plan.

But Tesco’s is just one of 50 submissions dealing with out of town retail development for the new development plan.

The retail multiple claims that a district centre at Carraroe, such as has been proposed, would not have any adverse effect on the vitality and viability of the city centre and environs.

Tesco also argue that the delay in the Centreblock development in the Wine Street car park has seriously compromised both their own position and the proper planning and sustainable development of the town centre.

In a response to the submissions, Mr Kearns acknowledged that Sligo has not capitalised on its strategic location and Gateway designation in terms of retail development.

He said that a “thorough assessment of the effects of existing retail policies should be undertaken as part of reviewing the Retail Planning Strategy”.

Some of the other submissions contend that free market competition was being stifled by restrictive planning clauses.

It was also argued that companies such as Tesco and Argos were prevented from opening stores out-side the city centre because of the “narrow interest of a cartel of town traders”.

I love the last line...
    Wonder who had the balls to say that...:)
    It's true.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,589 ✭✭✭Hail 2 Da Chimp

If you look at the area i've circled in the pic there is plenty of room.

You can't put a multi-story car park there... What about Harrys bar?

• Advertisement

You can't put a multi-story car park there... What about Harrys bar?

That's the point...:D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,392 ✭✭✭TequilaMockingBird

Yes, where would the Dads go after dropping the kids at school then? :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

It was also argued that companies such as Tesco and Argos were prevented from opening stores out-side the city centre because of the “narrow interest of a cartel of town traders”.

I want to meet whoever said that and shake their hand.

sueme wrote: »
    Yes, where would the Dads go after dropping the kids at school then? :eek:

Careful now...

We're not all like that you know...
    <<
    >>

• Closed Accounts Posts: 778 ✭✭✭Essexboy

From the Weekender:

Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Tesco renews efforts for new Carraroe store

TESCO have renewed their efforts to develop a new store in Sligo at Carraroe.

They have made a lengthy sub-mission ahead of the preparation of a new Sligo and Environs Development Plan, calling for a change in the present restriction on the type of goods which can be sold outside of the town centre.

The restriction has prevented Argos setting up in the retail park in Carraroe, as well as thwarting Tesco’s plans.

Tesco claim that the objectives for retail strategy for Sligo are “founded in the aspirations and concerns of a market town rather than a city”.

And Sligo County Manager Hubert Kearns has admitted that “the current retail offer appears to be unsatisfactory in terms of variety, location and net floor space”.

Tesco have already got planning permission for a major re-development of their store at the Wine Street car park but also want to develop a much bigger store at Carraroe on a site directly opposite the retail park.

They applied for planning permission back in 2005 as part of a proposed new multi-million District Centre development by solicitor Raymond Monahan and his wife, Eileen, which was to have 12 other retail and service units and a separate warehouse type retail outlet.

However, it was shot down because of a number of objections, including one from Sligo Chamber of Commerce, on the basis on the restriction in the development plan.

But Tesco’s is just one of 50 submissions dealing with out of town retail development for the new development plan.

The retail multiple claims that a district centre at Carraroe, such as has been proposed, would not have any adverse effect on the vitality and viability of the city centre and environs.

Tesco also argue that the delay in the Centreblock development in the Wine Street car park has seriously compromised both their own position and the proper planning and sustainable development of the town centre.

In a response to the submissions, Mr Kearns acknowledged that Sligo has not capitalised on its strategic location and Gateway designation in terms of retail development.

He said that a “thorough assessment of the effects of existing retail policies should be undertaken as part of reviewing the Retail Planning Strategy”.

Some of the other submissions contend that free market competition was being stifled by restrictive planning clauses.

I love the last line...
    Wonder who had the balls to say that...:)
    It's true.

the “narrow interest of a cartel of town traders”.
    That is why I shop in the North now. Better choice, free parking etc.

According to yesterday's Weekender (Front Page) ASDA are apparently coming to Sligo.
    They are rumoured to have bought the Brooks Hanley timber yard.

Interesting! If they did come would we be offered the same savings as people see when they go to Enniskillen?
    If the Chamber could do one thing to right the wrongs of the past it would be to stipulate that this must happen if asda are allowed here.

Thoughts?

According to yesterday's Weekender (Front Page) ASDA are apparently coming to Sligo.
    They are rumoured to have bought the Brooks Hanley timber yard.

Interesting! If they did come would we be offered the same savings as people see when they go to Enniskillen?
    If the Chamber could do one thing to right the wrongs of the past it would be to stipulate that this must happen if asda are allowed here.

Thoughts?

I'd be delighted to see Asda open here, according to the weekender the chamber can't stop them......but we'll see.
    I would have thought we'd get the same savings...but like other stores that are in the UK and here, we seem to loose out on the currency changeover.

Just read the Champion and they say Asda isn't coming to Sligo:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 991 ✭✭✭Big_Mac

Won't they please make up their minds!!!! Think of the Children!

Anyone think that Sligo's newspapers are kind of like children?

The Weekender is the overexcited one that sees a TV show on dolphins and starts recounting it to his parents but misinterpreting half of what was said while the parents smile knowingly at the loud declarations that dolphins are so smart that they can do long division, the Champion is the older one who tiredly ruins the Weekender's fun by saying, "no they don't, you idiot"

And the Post is the slightly mentally challenged cousin who nobody passes much heed of and wishes he'd go back to his family in Donegal already.

• Advertisement

Xiney wrote: »
    Anyone think that Sligo's newspapers are kind of like children?

The Weekender is the overexcited one that sees a TV show on dolphins and starts recounting it to his parents but misinterpreting half of what was said while the parents smile knowingly at the loud declarations that dolphins are so smart that they can do long division, the Champion is the older one who tiredly ruins the Weekender's fun by saying, "no they don't, you idiot"

And the Post is the slightly mentally challenged cousin who nobody passes much heed of and wishes he'd go back to his family in Donegal already.

You have me wetting myself here Xiney!! Thats so funny and so true.:D

A step in the right direction:
    http://www.sligoweekender.ie/news/story/?trs=mhgbojmhkf&cat=news

Especially the idea of widening the bridge!
    Although how they didn't have the foresight to do that when building the inner relief is beyond me!

Collooney roundabout crossing is welcomed

THE commencement of work on a pedestrian crossing at the Collooney roundabout has been welcomed by Sinn Fein prospective local election candidate Thomas Healy.

The roundabout is regularly crossed by pedestrians at a junction with a large volume of traffic every day.

“Sinn Fein has been campaigning for a pedestrian crossing here since the new road was first opened and I am delighted to finally see progress on this essential crossing point for people in Collooney,” said Mr Healy.

“This is a very busy intersection even outside peak hours and often has heavy pedestrian traffic on it also.

“Young children regularly use this route to access facilities at the Teeling Centre while the business and retail parks situated on the far side of the roundabout also attract pedestrian customers.“With the onset of winter darkness and poor visibility this area is the site of an accident waiting to happen.”

Should be a flyover in my opinion! Cheap dangerous option! Ever seen the crossing in Portlaoise? Crazy!

• Registered Users Posts: 43,895 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Yeah, they're rolling it out soon-ish.

A prototype version of the robot used to park your car:

johnny5.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭takola

Johnny 5! :D

Were they messing with the photo caption, or have they recruited an ex Sligo post worker??:rolleyes:

From the Weekender:

Planned Sligo shopping centre to be reduced in size
    By John Bromley

A PLAN for a major shops and offices development in Sligo, including a dis-count foodstore, is to be substantially reduced in size.

The site for the development is the Abbeyville Centre, previously occupied by a building housing Rehab Care and the former Transware computer software company office. It lies between Cranmore Road and Chapel Street, just beyond St Anne’s Church and virtually across the road from Dunnes Stores.

The original planning application - by Rhodaville Ltd, of Finisklin Business Park, Sligo - was to demolish the existing single-storey office/factory unit and to construct a three-storey building with basement car park.

The total area of the new building was to 8,142 square metres (roughly 88,000 square feet), which would be roughly similar in size to Dunnes. Most of the ground floor, a total of 1,125 square metres (around 12,000 square feet) was earmarked for a “discount food retail outlet”, as well as two smaller retail units. Overhead there was be 3,480 square metres (around 37,500 square feet ) of offices on the first and second floors. It was planned to have parking for 139 cars between a base-ment and surface car park.

But in the new planning application by Rhodaville, it is proposed to reduce the overall size of the development to two-thirds of the size, to 5,315 sq m (57,000 sq ft).

The size of the building will be reduced to two storeys and the amount of office space is being drastically cut. There will now be just under 700 sq m (7,500 sq ft) of offices.

However, a large area of the first floor, almost 500 sq m will now be a restaurant, which will have an outdoor dining terrace.

There is no mention of a change to the size of the discount foodstore but there will now be three smaller units on the ground floor instead of the original two. There are also changes to the car park, with the basement car park reduced from 87 to 57 spaces and the surface car park from 52 to 48 spaces.

There is also to be a change of roof from flat roof to pitched roof over the foodstore.

From the Weekender:
    Study claims N16 has higher rate of accidents

THE notorious N16 Sligo-Manorhamilton road has a much higher accident rate, including fatalities, relative to its traffic levels, than the national average, according to a new study.

It also claims that apart from the high accident rate, the poor standard of the road was also contributing to unnecessary pollution, poor tourism figures and to high costs, waste of resources and poor economic performance in the area.

The report is part of a cross-border initiative involving Sligo, Leitrim and Cavan county councils and Fermanagh District Council to have the road upgraded.

The councils are seeking joint funding from the Irish and British governments to improve the road from Sligo to Ballygawley. On this side of the border the N16 runs from Sligo to Blacklion, through Manorhamilton, and on the other side as the A4 from Belcoo, through Enniskillen, to Ballygawley, and then on to Belfast.

The study, carried out by former GAA President, Fermanagh man Peter Quinn, was launched in Enniskillen last Friday.

The event in the Killyhevlin Hotel was attended by Minister for State Dr Jimmy Devins, Conor Murphy, Minister for Regional Development in the Northern Ireland Assembly, and councillors from Sligo, Leitrim and the other counties involved.

The study states that the N16 has “received little investment and it is still narrow, winding and unsuitable for heavy traffic”. Among the study’s seven recommendations, it is suggested given the current economic circumstances that investment in improving this route was most likely to be secured through a phased development programme and the councils strategies should be developed on that basis.

In view of that it was recommended that the focus should, initially, be the Manorhamilton bypass and the Manorhamilton-Blacklion road, together with an Enniskillen bypass and when the Manorhamilton bypass and its extension to Glenfarne are being developed, the portion between Glenfarne and Blacklion should also be included.

I travel this road quite regularly when heading to Cavan, Monaghan and Louth and it's a disaster! Would love to see them do something with it.
    Hopefully the fact that a number of counties are lobbying for it will help bring it to life!

• Advertisement

both interesting articles, Gillie. Thanks.

The N16 is absolutely dire, something should really be done about it.

As for the shopping centre/offices... aren't there a whole pack of empty offices in town? And I wonder if it's Aldi or Asda...

Advertisement