Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sligo - News and Views

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

Essexboy wrote: »
    Bad news for Sligo tourism.

The Food Safety Authority of Ireland (FSAI) today stated that four Closure Orders and one Prohibition Order were served on food businesses during the month of September for breaches of food safety legislation pursuant to the FSAI Act, 1998. The Orders were issued by environmental health officers (EHOs) in the HSE West Region and the HSE Dublin North East Region.

Closure Orders were served on:

• Benny’s restaurant, 8-10 Drogheda Street, Balbriggan, Co. Dublin
    • Food Stall (chip van) - White Toyota Hiace Registration No 98 G 3878, The Square, Roscommon Town, Roscommon
    • Adezath Superstore, 298 North Circular Road, Dublin 7
    Castle Dargan Hotel (main kitchen and ancillary facilities), Ballygawley, Sligo.

That'll bugger up someone's wedding plans... "We'll have the speeches first, then.. em, head into town for a take-away".

I might set up a chip van outside the entrance for the weekend. Ka-CHING!

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Cheeky Munky

Dont want to be mean but after visitin them and their overpriced weddings i'm laughin. I've heard of lots of people going there for funtions and being very "hungover" the following day - now i think differently!!!!!!!!!!!

Don't blame the 15 pints & 6 double whiskeys - blame the food?!?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 totomcgrath

Strange... I was at a wedding in CD recently, it was really classy! Especially the food, superb! Obviously a temporary closure was it? As I have another wedding there in a couple of months...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 totomcgrath

Strange... I was at a wedding in CD recently, it was really classy! Especially the food, superb! Obviously a temporary closure was it? As I have another wedding there in a couple of months...

come to think, it was August.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭Voodoo_rasher

ha ha ha. no tubber by-pass, no mania of a 2nd bypass//2nd curry new road bridge (when did they ever have a sitting td of their own in tubber) and as a consequence , no nuisance CPO dropping thru my letterbox

the bigsnip report..err u mean the one conveniently forgottn during the budget )

ppl pay life-expectancy mortgages ,remember? too busy for revolutions therefore

but we will always have mass protests that turn into pathetic feeble riots at the glass doors of govt sit-ins in conference centers! like Athlone

"Anyway. IMO we as a city/town are finally moving in the right direction!
    After years of "No No No" the powers that be are seeing sense in terms of developing this little paradise!"

yeah, formerly pedestrianised streets; a joy to drive on (as if!)

vote out the charlie hungerfords, then we can move in the rite direction )

• Registered Users Posts: 1,797 ✭✭✭bobcar61

"Anyway. IMO we as a city/town are finally moving in the right direction!
    After years of "No No No" the powers that be are seeing sense in terms of developing this little paradise!"

yeah, formerly pedestrianised streets; a joy to drive on (as if!)

vote out the charlie hungerfords, then we can move in the rite direction )
    the bigsnip report..err u mean the one conveniently forgottn during the budget )

ppl pay life-expectancy mortgages ,remember? too busy for revolutions therefore

but we will always have mass protests that turn into pathetic feeble riots at the glass doors of govt sit-ins in conference centers! like Athlone
    ha ha ha. no tubber by-pass, no mania of a 2nd bypass//2nd curry new road bridge (when did they ever have a sitting td of their own in tubber) and as a consequence , no nuisance CPO dropping thru my letterbox

Who are you talking to in these posts...??

• Registered Users Posts: 996 ✭✭✭Lornen

Last night another attack on a middle aged man occurred. That's 2 within the last 2 weeks. How ridiculous is this town getting? Following last month's petrol bombing attacks I'm beginning to wonder about this town.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,164 ✭✭✭Konata

It HAS been bad recently but Sligo has always been a rough town. I've had friends from across the country down over the Summer and they never fail to comment on many of the people hanging around, especially at nighttime. Popped into the 4 lights the other night with my boyfriend (from Clare) and the first thing he noticed was how "tough" the clientele were - I filter it out at this stage >_<

The rough reputation is nothing new - I've lost count of the amount of people I know who have been innocently attacked. Sligo is NOT a nice place at night.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,659 ✭✭✭magnumlady

Hotaru wrote: »
    It HAS been bad recently but Sligo has always been a rough town. I've had friends from across the country down over the Summer and they never fail to comment on many of the people hanging around, especially at nighttime. Popped into the 4 lights the other night with my boyfriend (from Clare) and the first thing he noticed was how "tough" the clientele were - I filter it out at this stage >_<

The rough reputation is nothing new - I've lost count of the amount of people I know who have been innocently attacked. Sligo is NOT a nice place at night.

+1 I was in Sligo a few weeks back at night and felt very threatened. Not nice at all.

I don't find Sligo rough at all - never had any problems & don't know anyone who has either. Sure, there's always a few scobies knocking around, but you get that everywhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,335 ✭✭✭✭UrbanSea

I'm the same starbelgrade. There are knackers in any town you go to,and yes there may be some in Sligo,but I certainly don't feel unsafe going into town at night.

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭itac

Worked in a busy pub in town, and lived on John St. for a few years, never had any problems myself, but know a few who have. All of those were drink related.
    Imo, where there's drunk people gathering, there's a higher probability of trouble kicking off, but, despite having been in town late at night many times (both sober and drunk:rolleyes:) I've never felt threatened.

If there were "random" attacks on peoples here on a regular basis, then I might worry my town is getting a bad name, but (and correct me if I'm wrong) most of the trouble usually occurs with the same people..

• Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

I don't find Sligo rough at all - never had any problems & don't know anyone who has either. Sure, there's always a few scobies knocking around, but you get that everywhere.
    greetings wrote: »
    I'm the same starbelgrade. There are knackers in any town you go to,and yes there may be some in Sligo,but I certainly don't feel unsafe going into town at night.

Same here, every town you go to your going to get the odd ar$ehole, i've never had a problem in sligo, apart the odd person make the odd comment or the jesture when they have had a few, but as long as you take no notice, mind your own, you'll be unlucky to be picked out for anything more.

i just hope its been a horrible co-incidence these random attacks over the last few weeks, and not part of something more sinister or connected incidents.

itac wrote: »
    Worked in a busy pub in town, and lived on John St. for a few years, never had any problems myself, but know a few who have. All of those were drink related.
    Imo, where there's drunk people gathering, there's a higher probability of trouble kicking off, but, despite having been in town late at night many times (both sober and drunk:rolleyes:) I've never felt threatened.

If there were "random" attacks on peoples here on a regular basis, then I might worry my town is getting a bad name, but (and correct me if I'm wrong) most of the trouble usually occurs with the same people..

There are idiots in every town and village in Ireland I'm afraid,the same trouble makers all over the place.

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭TheQ47

By the way, the first of those attacks wasn't random. Didn't the guards arrest 2 people in connection with that, one almost immediately. Don't know anything about the 2nd attack, as I was out of the country (and that's my alibi out of the way!)

Which was the first attack? Hmm they'll be on to you :P

• Registered Users Posts: 4,392 ✭✭✭TequilaMockingBird

My 10 year old daughter was almost mugged today. Skangersville.

Hard to know what to do. Get out of here or "better the devil you know"...

• Advertisement

Oh no, is she OK?

magnumlady wrote: »
    Oh no, is she OK?

Thanks ML, she's grand - I'm furious. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Which was the first attack? Hmm they'll be on to you

from memory there was the fella who was attacked in his home, then the guy who was found on the footbridge between rockwood prade and the garavouge

What!! Where? What did the coward try and take from her

irish-stew wrote: »

What!! Where? What did the coward try and take from her

Her purse (which probably had about 10c in it). The Guards said that because the 4 boys are under 12 (just) they can do nothing more than give a warning. They live on the next street to ours.

That's shocking, what is the world coming too.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

One piece of advice I'd give to any current or future parents out there. Is when you child reaches the age of 6, send them to a good Karate, Judo, or Ju Jitsu school ect. When they reach the age of 18, they can decide if they want to leave or not. If have no kids at the moment, but it is the one thing that my kid will have to do. My wife is in total agreement, the world is just way to crazy these days to leave your kids at a defenceless disadvantage.

One piece of advice I'd give to any current or future parents out there. Is when you child reaches the age of 6, send them to a good Karate, Judo, or Ju Jitsu school ect. When they reach the age of 18, they can decide if they want to leave or not. If have no kids at the moment, but it is the one thing that my kid will have to do. My wife is in total agreement, the world is just way to crazy these days to leave your kids at a defenceless disadvantage.

Snap. I spoke to her last night about starting a class like that. Shame she needs to though. It was her one bit of (newly gained) freedom, walking to the shop, albeit never alone. At age 10 I was out all day, back for food and off again. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 778 ✭✭✭Essexboy

According to today's Irish Times
    " a shop window in the centre of the town had been transformed yesterday into a mock bar with a life-sized model of the Taoiseach sitting at a table clutching a pint."

Anyone see this? I was in town today but did not come across it. Pity!

• Registered Users Posts: 43,894 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Essexboy wrote: »
    According to today's Irish Times
    " a shop window in the centre of the town had been transformed yesterday into a mock bar with a life-sized model of the Taoiseach sitting at a table clutching a pint."

Anyone see this? I was in town today but did not come across it. Pity!
    Didn't seen it, but heard it's EJ's store window (as far as I know).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,646 ✭✭✭✭Sauve

Im almost tempted to take a spin into town to check this out..... (how sad have my sat nights become?!)

Advertisement