Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sligo - News and Views

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,659 ✭✭✭magnumlady

Gillie wrote:
    Surely not! Then we wouldn't have the pleasure of driving into the middle of Sligo where there is NO parking whatsoever!
    Tesco have tried to put a store up at Carroroe without success! Long Story!

I would not be suprised to see their store built out at Collooney at some stage!

Talking of Collooney, what are they building there at the N4/N17 roundabout? Anyone know?

The supermarkets in Sligo are a joke, Dunnes have done there one up and thats great, but today, there were two massive delivery lorries parked along side the supermarket on the main road holding all the traffic up. Very bad planning if thats how they have to deliver goods.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 437 ✭✭vesp

tuppence wrote:
    Is this is about planning in sligo is it okay to bring up the new halls in st. angelas college?
    Has anyone seen them from the scenic drive (it used to be scenic) from Sligo (Carraroe side) to Dromahair. It also obstructs the view of the lake Isle of Innisfree from the best viewing point in Sligo near Cullentra. It is shocking beyond proportions. Just think of the worst Mediterrean apartments of old or a new Ikea on the lake and you have the general idea. Has anybody any ideas how they managed to get the go ahead and is there anything anybody there protecting our heritage? Am saddened.

I agree 100 %, it is a monstrosity and an eyesore. How they got planning is beyond comprehension. Even after all the tribunals.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,640 ✭✭✭Gillie

magnumlady wrote:
    Talking of Collooney, what are they building there at the N4/N17 roundabout? Anyone know?

The supermarkets in Sligo are a joke, Dunnes have done there one up and thats great, but today, there were two massive delivery lorries parked along side the supermarket on the main road holding all the traffic up. Very bad planning if thats how they have to deliver goods.

A hotel apparently!

Tesco have got planning to redevelop their store at o'connell street.
    It's gonna be a 2 storey shopping centre with a couple of apartments on top.

Gillie wrote:
    A hotel apparently!

Tesco have got planning to redevelop their store at o'connell street.
    It's gonna be a 2 storey shopping centre with a couple of apartments on top.

Oh no not another hotel!!

I heard about Tesco redeveloping the store but its in such a pain of a place what with the lack of car parking nearby.

You said it girl!
    But this is how we do it in Sligo!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 217 ✭✭folkswagen

was there not a mention of a superalu sized food shop for quayside at the early stages - any shop with decent parking would be a help:rolleyes:

Even a Tesco at the SMyths retail park would do? WHy has no other company joined them there?

Yep. Super Valu was going to be in the Quayside, I don't know why they didn't go there in the end.
    Its a shame Smyths is all on its own in Cleveragh, it would be great to have an Argos there and a supermarket and possibly a Heatons.

magnumlady wrote:
    Yep. Super Valu was going to be in the Quayside, I don't know why they didn't go there in the end.
    Its a shame Smyths is all on its own in Cleveragh, it would be great to have an Argos there and a supermarket and possibly a Heatons.

Yep, there should have been a food supermarket in Quayside as it has all that parking + to help anchor the place.

Its indeed a shame Smyths is all on its own in Cleveragh, but it would be too far out of town for Argos. Somewhere closer to the centre of town would be better, providing car parking slaces are provided. This is how they operate in Enniskillen, Castlebar etc

The Borough Council should get up off their well paid asses and provide car parking spaces between the inner relief road and the centre of town , where they are needed. Wait until Johnston court opens....lots more spaces will be needed for it. In fact much of it was built on a car park.

Wasn't there going to be a car park built on top on Johnston Court? Or is that Wine Street I'm thinking of.
    Castlebar and Eniskillen are both much better laid out towns and parking is either cheaper or free and they both have free toilets.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 431 ✭✭donegalman1

THB the Inner relief road cannot be called that. A proper bypass without being riddled with off streets and traffic lights would have served the town better. Who would have imagine that a brand new road to serve as a bypass would have gridlock from opening.

Its a bit like the Strabane first bypass though they had the fore sight to plan another as soon as it opened. Both planned and completed shorter Sligos excuse of a road. What was I saying about politics in Sligo.

Yes Velvets a great club, that only opens oce a week. Its not hard to win an award you subscribe to when there aren't that many NEW ones anyway nationwide and decor ain't everything.

I believe the people of Sligo deserve better, the council and nightclubs in general only trough out what they have to.

• Advertisement

My opinions on the Inner relief road:

Its much to near the town and its causing so many traffic problems especially in the mornings.
    Most mornings the traffic is backed right up past the roundabout.
    There are way too many traffic lights on it. If it was going to be a bypass then thats what it should be.
    Take the traffic away from the town and have a couple of roundabouts for people that do want to go into Sligo. Not all those confusing traffic lights, one after another and half the time at least one set of them is out of order anyway.

Also have another bypass the otherside of the town for Eniskillen and the hospital. ts mad that in this day and age you have to go all around the houses to get to the hospital. I would hate to have to get there in an emergency.

Rant over!:D

It was never designed as a bypass to be fair.
    The concept for this road is about 15 years old.

I don't know if you had any experience before the road was built but it was a lot worse!!! A lot lot worse!

The traffic lights are a pain but I think overall the road has been a huge success! The big problem is the junction for finisklin off Hughes Bridge! If that got sorted I would be a lot happier.

The Eastern Bypass has been in the pipeline for some time also. Land acqusition is the big issue here! Remember that when ppl hear that a road/supermarket/whatever is going to pass through their land then all of a sudden that old oak tree, that they were about to cut down anyway, has to stay and is now worth something!

Yes I did have experience of the road before hand and while the new road is an improvement it could be made a lot better. Even if either the John Street or Adelaide Street turn off was cut out it would make it better.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,931 ✭✭✭dingding

Any one know what is happening with the clarence hotel, seems to be a lot of building at the back.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭il gatto

Clarence is supposed to be a pub and live music venue. That was almost two years ago. Plans might have changed since.
    In fairness to the Velvet room, why would you open a club when there's no one to go to it during the week? You'd end up ruining it's busy image and probably making a small loss most nights. If Sligo had tourists it might be worth their while.

It certainly would be. The VR is an orignal and fresh experience.

Well worth the €12 cover charge.
    There is also a VIP section you can book for parties!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭JIZZLORD

havent been in sligo town in ages, when does the johnstons court centre open and what'll be in it?

Supposed to be this month.
    Not sure what's gonna be in it. Boutique's (SP?) mainly.

Hopefully a proper music shop!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 731 ✭✭✭Madge

Sasha is moving into Johnstons Court, Don't know what else though! I think I heard an electrical shop of some sort may be going in

Madge wrote:
    Sasha is moving into Johnstons Court, Don't know what else though! I think I heard an electrical shop of some sort may be going in

Surely not! Don't need any more of them!!!:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭bennyc

Madge wrote:

Think there could be a sony centre going in there

I'd like to see an Eason's and a big HMV go in there and Marks and Spencers, no more clothes, shoe, electrical or phone shops, a good gadget shop would be nice though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭JIZZLORD

i heard about the sony centre before, but who knows. They're fairly dragging their heals in terms of publicity, when the quayside was half built they had confirmed a fe tennants, or you heard word from people who had interviews. I hope to god they put in some decent shops,
    magnumlady wrote:
    I'd like to see an Eason's and a big HMV go in there and Marks and Spencer

if these were there i'd be happy. say what you want about small retailers being forced out of business, but sligo always seems to be run by a cartel of business people.

JIZZLORD wrote:
    if these were there i'd be happy. say what you want about small retailers being forced out of business, but sligo always seems to be run by a cartel of business people.

It has been for years!
    They are a dying breed now and it appears there grip is loosening!

I hope you are both right and that we will get some decent shops, its not fair that business people have a say in who comes into the town.
    Do they not realise that if they let the likes of Argos come in they would keep shoppers in Sligo instead of everyone having to go to Enniskillen and Castlebar.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 731 ✭✭✭Madge

magnumlady wrote:
    Do they not realise that if they let the likes of Argos come in they would keep shoppers in Sligo instead of everyone having to go to Enniskillen and Castlebar.

Do loads of people really go outside of Sligo to do their shopping? Cos especially on a Saturday Sligo town is wedged and Quayside is always packed out! Not to mention Tesco, the queues in it are unbelievable nearly every day of the week

Madge wrote:
    Do loads of people really go outside of Sligo to do their shopping? Cos especially on a Saturday Sligo town is wedged and Quayside is always packed out! Not to mention Tesco, the queues in it are unbelievable nearly every day of the week

I don't go shopping out of town every week, but go every few weeks, either to Castlebar, Carrick on Shannon or Enniskillen.
    I mainly go because I need things in Argos, Heatons or other shops that aren't in Sligo.
    I don't go near Tesco in town anymore.

Madge wrote:

A lot of ppl come to Sligo to shop.
    Apart from the old congested Tesco store and lack of Heatons or Argos, there is quite a bit to choose from in Sligo!

magnumlady wrote:
    Wasn't there going to be a car park built on top on Johnston Court? Or is that Wine Street I'm thinking of.
    Castlebar and Eniskillen are both much better laid out towns and parking is either cheaper or free and they both have free toilets.

The council in Sligo should provide a multi storey car park between the inner relief road and the town centre. There are a number of suitable sites. That way people coming to Sligo could quickly and easily park without travelling and clogging up too much of the rest of Sligo.

Its a scandal how the Borough council gets away without providing any public toilets. They look after themselves though.

• Advertisement

The W2 (Western Distributor Route) will be finished early next year with construction starting this September according to the Champion this week.

The Road will run from the Caltragh interchange to Finisklin and will run past Mitchell Curly park beside Kevinsfort.

I don't understand why they are not giving more priority to the "Eastern Bypass" as it is far more important to Sligo!

Advertisement