Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sligo - News and Views

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,888 ✭✭✭nanook

this is getting abit of use in the last couple of weeks, gonna make it a sticky for the time being, if it starts to die down then we can look at it

• Registered Users Posts: 3,640 ✭✭✭Gillie

It'll never die down!!!
    (Hopefully).

I'm afraid there is always going to be plenty to discuss when it comes to the land of hearts desire!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

Gillie wrote:
    Supposed to be this month.
    Not sure what's gonna be in it. Boutique's (SP?) mainly.

Hopefully a proper music shop!

Have you tried Third wave on O'Connell street? They are very nice people with a fairly good selection for a pretty small shop plus they'll order stuff in for you. Anyone know if the comic shop is closed for good or just moved to a different premises? It was kind of in a funny place up by Harry's bar.

I find that the special offers in the chain stores (Virgin/HMV) are quite good.
    There is feck all of that here!

Didn't know there was a comic book store!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 731 ✭✭✭Madge

That comic book store is in West Gardens (off High Street) isn't it?

• Advertisement

It was but its closed now unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭il gatto

Gillie wrote:
    The W2 (Western Distributor Route) will be finished early next year with construction starting this September according to the Champion this week.

The Road will run from the Caltragh interchange to Finisklin and will run past Mitchell Curly park beside Kevinsfort.

I don't understand why they are not giving more priority to the "Eastern Bypass" as it is far more important to Sligo!

Starting early September? Finishing early next year?:eek: Ha.... I'll believe that when I see it:D They couldn't organise a punch up outside Abrakebabra:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,659 ✭✭✭magnumlady

Any news on when that new shopping centre in O'Connell Street is opening. It was meant to be in March, but doesn't look anywhere near ready.
    Also my hopes for a Marks and Sparks where Woods was have faded, saw an ad for staff for a new Centra in Castle Street.

Centra has opened where Morgan was in Castle Street so keep your hopes up yet my dear!

il gatto wrote:
    Starting early September? Finishing early next year?:eek: Ha.... I'll believe that when I see it:D They couldn't organise a punch up outside Abrakebabra:rolleyes:

I agree but they seem really on the ball with this road. They are pushing it hard! Písses me off as I think the Eastern Route is far more crucial!

• Advertisement

Gillie wrote:
    Centra has opened where Morgan was in Castle Street so keep your hopes up yet my dear!

Oh phew!! Thanks for that, I was in town yesterday but never walked down there. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭JIZZLORD

magnumlady wrote:
    Any news on when that new shopping centre in O'Connell Street is opening. It was meant to be in March, but doesn't look anywhere near ready.
    Also my hopes for a Marks and Sparks where Woods was have faded, saw an ad for staff for a new Centra in Castle Street.

i remember reading they were putting in a tesco arcade style setup in there with piles of shops

Its built and they are fitting it at present.
    Pretty big place by the look of it!

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭Iompair

The comic/gaming shop closed last month. Gerry the guy who ran it for the last few months is setting up an online shop, but its a pity the shop is gone. They probably could have done with a cafe style thing to get people to come in and play, while getting a bite to eat.

Anyone know anything about the vibe tattoo shop on High Street?
    I posted this question on the tattoo forum but got no answer.

Anybody got any work done their yet?

I saw it the other day, its advertised as a piercing shop, I don't think they do tattoos. I know there was a place on the street towards the train station from the bus stop that did/does tattoos but I don't know what quality we are talking here.

I saw it the other day, its advertised as a piercing shop, I don't think they do tattoos. I know there was a place on the street towards the train station from the bus stop that did/does tattoos but I don't know what quality we are talking here.

They definately do tats aswell:
    http://www.thevibetattoos.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭il gatto

magnumlady wrote:

As far as I know, Kevin Quinn owns it. I heard it'll be retail units, appartments and maybe a bar, so I wouldn't hold my breath for an M&S.

il gatto wrote:
    As far as I know, Kevin Quinn owns it. I heard it'll be retail units, appartments and maybe a bar, so I wouldn't hold my breath for an M&S.

Somehow I didn't think we'd get one, maybe we'll get an Argos :D

Gillie wrote:
    They definately do tats aswell:
    http://www.thevibetattoos.com/

Fair enough. It definitely looks clean anyways which is always good! I wouldn't mind getting another piercing or two done over the summer but words will be said with the mother before and after I imagine:rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Fair enough. It definitely looks clean anyways which is always good! I wouldn't mind getting another piercing or two done over the summer but words will be said with the mother before and after I imagine:rolleyes:

At least with a Tat she mightn't see it!;)
    I got my first piercing when I was 12. She wasn't pleased at first but she got used to it!

• Registered Users Posts: 46,098 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Gillie wrote:
    I got my first piercing when I was 12. She wasn't pleased at first but she got used to it!
    Thats coz you were spoiled :p

muffler wrote:
    Thats coz you were spoiled :p

Far from it believe me!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 ColdDeadEyes

<SNIP SNIP SNIP>

Shaun

Edit by muffler: Shaun you are new here and this time I will let you off with a yellow card only.

Advertising here is not free. If you wish to advertise then contact one of the admins with whom you can talk money

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭JIZZLORD

any sign of the new shopping centre yet?

Nah. It was due to open in March and it's May tomorrow.

In fairness the Quayside was on schedule and the inner relief road was ahead of schedule so it was about time something was delayed!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,078 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Anyone got a date for it. Last time I seen it was a few weeks ago and it didn't look near finished.

Major Development planned at Bruss site.
    (From the Sligo Champion:)
    €100m project earmarked for major site at Finisklin

A €100 million development project, which will kick-start the regeneration of Sligo docklands, is earmarked for a huge site at Finisklin, The Sligo Champion has learned.

The existing Bruss premises is to be demolished to make way for the comprehensive development, which will include a ten storey landmark tower and three other substantial new buildings on a 1,8144 hectares site at Finisklin Road and Rathedmond Road.

The project will include 147 apartments, one convenience store, six huge showroom retail units, extensive office accommodation, a medical centre, a pharmacy, a bar and restaurant, a health and beauty salon, a crèche and a gymnasium. Car parking facilities for over 500 vehicles are also proposed.

A lot of Finisklin is in poor order with plenty of ageing buildings.
    If this is done right it could be great for the area!

Went in last week for a gander. Looks spotless.
    Will be going back in May to get some lettering done on my arm so i'll report back once it's done.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,078 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Gillie wrote:
    Major Development planned at Bruss site.
    (From the Sligo Champion:)
    €100m project earmarked for major site at Finisklin

A €100 million development project, which will kick-start the regeneration of Sligo docklands, is earmarked for a huge site at Finisklin, The Sligo Champion has learned.

The existing Bruss premises is to be demolished to make way for the comprehensive development, which will include a ten storey landmark tower and three other substantial new buildings on a 1,8144 hectares site at Finisklin Road and Rathedmond Road.

The project will include 147 apartments, one convenience store, six huge showroom retail units, extensive office accommodation, a medical centre, a pharmacy, a bar and restaurant, a health and beauty salon, a crèche and a gymnasium. Car parking facilities for over 500 vehicles are also proposed.

A lot of Finisklin is in poor order with plenty of ageing buildings.
    If this is done right it could be great for the area!

Sounds pretty good.

Advertisement