Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sligo - News and Views

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,640 ✭✭✭Gillie

Well as I said the "Docks" is in pretty poor shape atm.
    If this could kick start a revival i'm all for it.

The big concern as always is having a load of empty new apartments.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,659 ✭✭✭magnumlady

Gillie wrote:
    Major Development planned at Bruss site.
    (From the Sligo Champion:)
    €100m project earmarked for major site at Finisklin

A €100 million development project, which will kick-start the regeneration of Sligo docklands, is earmarked for a huge site at Finisklin, The Sligo Champion has learned.

The existing Bruss premises is to be demolished to make way for the comprehensive development, which will include a ten storey landmark tower and three other substantial new buildings on a 1,8144 hectares site at Finisklin Road and Rathedmond Road.

The project will include 147 apartments, one convenience store, six huge showroom retail units, extensive office accommodation, a medical centre, a pharmacy, a bar and restaurant, a health and beauty salon, a crèche and a gymnasium. Car parking facilities for over 500 vehicles are also proposed.

A lot of Finisklin is in poor order with plenty of ageing buildings.
    If this is done right it could be great for the area!

More blooming apartments and not a decent shopping centre in the town.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 731 ✭✭✭Madge

magnumlady wrote:
    More blooming apartments and not a decent shopping centre in the town.

Why do you say there's no decent shopping centre in town? There is.. unless of course you mean there's no parking. TBH, I never drive into town (get the bus) so I don't give a damn if there's parking or not!

Madge wrote:
    Why do you say there's no decent shopping centre in town? There is.. unless of course you mean there's no parking. TBH, I never drive into town (get the bus) so I don't give a damn if there's parking or not!

Because there is no decent shopping centre. I would like an out of town centre with a supermarket and car parking.
    I can't get a bus into town as there are no buses running where I live, so have to drive in and its a pain. Dunnes is OK for parking but you have to drive to the other shops.

magnumlady wrote:
    Because there is no decent shopping centre. I would like an out of town centre with a supermarket and car parking.
    I can't get a bus into town as there are no buses running where I live, so have to drive in and its a pain. Dunnes is OK for parking but you have to drive to the other shops.

Blame the Chamber here.
    They would not allow Tesco to build a new store at carraroe!

Protectionism once again!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭gustavo

Gillie wrote:
    Well as I said the "Docks" is in pretty poor shape atm.
    If this could kick start a revival i'm all for it.

The big concern as always is having a load of empty new apartments.

Is there anyone living in/businesses in them new apartments just off the Mail Coach Road?

That would be Citygate. I don't think they are finished inside yet!

I think there could well be people living in them. I can see the appts. from my house (fantastic view from kitchen wndow- can see all of sligo!) and there's lights on in them at 11 and 12 at night.
    Though I do think some of the appts. look like offices

Its a mixed use development afaik.
    The area needed to be re-developed badly though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,663 ✭✭✭JoeyJJ

Yeah now they should follow that development down High Street which could do with a good overhaul.

• Advertisement

Thats already started.
    Middleton's and the ajoining building have been demolished and the Toyota garage is for sale/has been sold.
    There is plans to develop all the way down to castle street afaik.

Yeah those plans where they a while ago too Conways pub has been closed for ages.

Don't get back as much these days must have a good look around over the weekend.

Might see ya on the town Gillie...

Probably not. New arrival there 2 weeks ago so i'm housebound for a while!

Back on topic:
    Maybe some progress on the Eastern Bypass:
    http://www.sligococo.ie/YourCouncil/Name,5944,en.html

Congrats Gillie...

Eastern bypass would eleviate alot of traffic from the town centre and at last a decent route to the hospital from emergency purposes. Its being mentioned for 30/40 yrs now and hopefully it will go ahead I'd imagine alot of people in Doorley park would be very interested in where it crosses might reduce the lovely scenery in that area which would be a shame. My Grandparents use to live down there and would hate to see it done incorrectly lots of memories around there.

• Registered Users Posts: 46,098 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Gillie wrote:
    New arrival there 2 weeks ago so i'm housebound for a while!
    Another new boards.ie user - well, sometime in the future hopefully.

Congratulations.

JoeyJJ wrote:
    Congrats Gillie...

Eastern bypass would eleviate alot of traffic from the town centre and at last a decent route to the hospital from emergency purposes. Its being mentioned for 30/40 yrs now and hopefully it will go ahead I'd imagine alot of people in Doorley park would be very interested in where it crosses might reduce the lovely scenery in that area which would be a shame. My Grandparents use to live down there and would hate to see it done incorrectly lots of memories around there.

Unfortunately it is a necessary evil.
    Ppl in garavogue, Cranmore, St. Annes, Martin Savage, etc. have no direct route to the Hospital/IT.
    Same goes for the Fire Brigade who have to go right around the town centre (Up John St. and Down Adelade street) to get to Hospital/Ballytivnan/Hazelwood.
    The time saved could be priceless!

muffler wrote:
    Another new boards.ie user - well, sometime in the future hopefully.

Congratulations.

She's only two weeks yet so it'll be a while before Daddy shows her how to use the Laptop!

But Thrilled! Greatest feeling ever!:D

Congratulations Gillie! :D

BTW, I'm going to a fashion show in the Clarion tonight at 8, it's to raise money for 2 women going to Vietnam (I think). Is anyone here going?

Congrats Gille, how was the fashion show Madge? I must donate some money, I know Pamela who is going on the trip to Vietnam.
    On a Sligo note, its good to see Rockwood Bridge open again.

Hey Magnumlady, the fashion show was good. There was clothes for all age groups. There wasn't a great turnout though. I thought there would have been alot more at it. A lot of people didn't come 'till the last minute, so the show didn't start 'till after half 8

• Advertisement

What a shame the turnout wasn't great.

http://www.sligoweekender.ie/news/story.asp?j=32725&cat=news

News on Eastern "Bypass"
    Hopefully the timescale is realistic!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,282 ✭✭✭gucci

Fureys is closed!!!
    what happened there??

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,078 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

gucci wrote:
    Fureys is closed!!!
    what happened there??

What? Furey's is closed!:( Haven't been there in a while but used to love going there for the odd pint.

gucci wrote:
    Fureys is closed!!!
    what happened there??

Really?
    I know that the ajoining buildings up as far as Shenanigans have been bought and will be knocked along with Shenanigans to make way for one huge pub with a restaurant above it.

Didn't think Furey's was part of that development though!

No sure it is either, miss fureys used to do a few hours in there both sides of the counter great pub, was driving past and seen closed for renovation so not too sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,282 ✭✭✭gucci

think it was some issues regarding leases and stuff, as in they wanted to get or were entitled to look for a 30 year lease of something.....i guess the owners of the property have noticed how valuable it has become in the last 10years

• Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭bennyc

I did some time in Fureys over the years both sides of the bar also from when they opened first, its closed as Martin Fureys daughter is taking it over and turning it into a f%^king student pub its a crying shame as the lease held by Gay Brian Cathy and Shane was going a bomb for them and they had turned it into possibly the best real pub in the north west. (maybe shoots)

I was there for the closing weekend it was a real whos who the night i was in, very sad and could only be described as a family wake, meeting old friends but knowing you wouldnt be seeing them for a long time without what you had just lost.

As I said earlier, Sean Cunningham has bought up the property to the right of his Shenanigans as far as Furey's and is building a massive Student Pub with a restaurant above it.
    Surely Fureys won't go the same route? They'll be right next door.

On another note work has begun in earnest on Kevin Quinns new pub along Rockwood Parade. It looks like a pretty big job. If he has it looking anything like the Belfrey it should be good!

• Advertisement

Ahh Gillie the belfry is a hole... crap music etc only thing it has going for it is scantly clad young ones in hot pants and the like. Well actually its a great spot if I was 8/10 yrs younger or even 3 yrs.

Advertisement