Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sligo - News and Views

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 731 ✭✭✭Madge

Gillie wrote:
    On another note work has begun in earnest on Kevin Quinns new pub along Rockwood Parade. It looks like a pretty big job. If he has it looking anything like the Belfrey it should be good!
    Whereabouts on Rockwood Parade is that?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,282 ✭✭✭gucci

ah crap, another student pub, i guess its a sign where the money is for the pub business. unless you do food its hard to survive. would be nice to have a few pubs, that dont do food and dont stink of pee, im sure even a few students would enjoy that too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

I'd like pubs where you can hear yourself think...

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,078 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

I'm a student and I hate places that play sh!tty dance music so loud your ears are starting to bleed and especially when they do it at two pm. That's what nightclubs are for (well except for the two pm part). In my opinion the best pubs are the ones where you can have a chat amongst friends.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,640 ✭✭✭Gillie

JoeyJJ wrote:
    Ahh Gillie the belfry is a hole... crap music etc only thing it has going for it is scantly clad young ones in hot pants and the like. Well actually its a great spot if I was 8/10 yrs younger or even 3 yrs.

Exactly!:D
    Whereabouts on Rockwood Parade is that?

Just to the rear and to the right of where the ESB building was.
    I'd like pubs where you can hear yourself think...

I agree! Hard to find these days!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,888 ✭✭✭nanook

I'm a student and I hate places that play sh!tty dance music so loud your ears are starting to bleed and especially when they do it at two pm. That's what nightclubs are for (well except for the two pm part). In my opinion the best pubs are the ones where you can have a chat amongst friends.

I remember a friend and I had an idea for a pub one time in the outskirts of dublin, big comfy chairs, nice open space, a good sound system that did not go above a whisper. It was designed to be a place to and meet your friends for a nice drink and a chat, not to get pissed, not to watch the football. Only down side was the drink would be dearer which we thought would not be a problem. Never got the idea of the ground though.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,078 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

nanook wrote:
    I remember a friend and I had an idea for a pub one time in the outskirts of dublin, big comfy chairs, nice open space, a good sound system that did not go above a whisper. It was designed to be a place to and meet your friends for a nice drink and a chat, not to get pissed, not to watch the football. Only down side was the drink would be dearer which we thought would not be a problem. Never got the idea of the ground though.

Good idea. Depends how much dearer. And they would have to be good pints not like the sh!t the leitrim and the brewery serve.

Did anyone pick up a copy of the new free paper- The Sligo Post?
    Seems much like the Weekender, but there's a bit more reading content in it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

Is the other free paper still going? I can't remember the name, the scene was it?

I find it funny that the free paper has more reading in it than the one you pay for.

Madge wrote:
    Did anyone pick up a copy of the new free paper- The Sligo Post?
    Seems much like the Weekender, but there's a bit more reading content in it

First I've heard of it. Must check it out when I go home this weekend. What day does it come out?

• Advertisement

Picked up one but havn't read it yet.
    Seems to be a fairly offbeat publication. Doesn't cover any serious topics by the looks of things.
    I wonder did it replace the scene?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,659 ✭✭✭magnumlady

I got one and read it. Its out on a Weds. Produced by the same crowd that run Ocean Fm.
    Its good, similar to the Weekender, no classified ads which is a shame.
    Nice to have a weekly free paper back again.
    The Scene is still going afaik.

I'd love to check it out but I doubt there will be any left tomorrow morning.

I'd love to check it out but I doubt there will be any left tomorrow morning.
    Theres loads left in the Quayside at the moment.

magnumlady wrote:
    Theres loads left in the Quayside at the moment.

Cheers I'll give that a shot. I'd say my parents have one in the house but it could be in the recycling bin by now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭il gatto

It's a syndicated paper. The Leitrim Post has been out a few months. They run a scatter of them. The features and national news and sport are the same, and local stories, sport and editorial. They all use the same template. Word is they'll build them up, along with the radio stations they also run and then flog it off as a going concern to a big media company somewhere down the line.

From the Sligo Weekender in relation to the eastern bypass:

Residents in favour, but some concern over road network

RESIDENTS who went to the public consultation evening at the Abbey Quarter Centre in Cranmore last Wednesday were largely in favour of the new bridge. Most of their concerns were about the road network in the area.

John Carolan, of Langan Drive said: “My impression from listening to this over the years is that it will be dark and treacherous on the southside road adjacent to Cleveragh Drive. They (the borough council) said it will be widened and brightened. But that should be done before work starts on the bridge.

“There will be more traffic on the inner relief road and in Cranmore. A new road is needed.

“I reckon there has to be some demolition. I feel they (the borough council) are hiding something.”

Roddy McGuinn, former Fianna Fail councillor and mayor of Sligo said: “It is nice to see it is happening. No one is opposed to it. Everyone sees the need for another bridge. I hope the concerns are sensitively handled. It needs to be done in consultation with the people.”

Breege Lynch from Summerhill said: “The roads going up to Lidl and Dunnes cannot cope with that traffic.

“The green space at Glencarrick is being cut off by the new road. A lot of people in that area are elderly. How are people going to cross that road? They (the borough council) say they haven’t thought about that.”

John Lyons of Tonaphubble Resident’s Association said: “I am concerned about traffic and safety. There are future plans for a road through Martin Savage Terrace up past the sports complex and the racecourse. There are lots of children around there.”

He added: “When the bridge is built all the traffic will have to go through Cleveragh Demense (Doorly Park). It is a fabulous recreational area for people of the area. Think about it if you are out for a walk on a Sunday morning and all that traffic coming through.”

More on that story from the Weekender:

The proposed eastern bridge will be a landmark for Sligo town.

It will be designed by Roughan & O’Donovan, consultants, who designed the Boyne Valley bridge in County Meath, the Luas Bridge in Dundrum, County Dublin, and the James Joyce bridge across the Liffey in Dublin.

Gary Salter, project manager for Sligo Borough Council, said the bridge would be a “signature bridge” unique to Sligo.

It is hoped the bridge will be complete within three years but the timeline depends on the planning process, he said. “It is very early days.”

The proposed bridge is intended to improve access to and from eastern areas of Sligo, improve circulation around the town and reduce traffic congestion. It will be located where the Garavogue river narrows just before Lough Gill.

The borough council posted details of the public consultation and information period to 2,500 homes in Sligo. They also ran ads on local radio and in local press. It began on May 2 and the last day for submissions is tomorrow, Wednesday, May 23. “I thought there would be a bigger turnout at the public meetings. But we may get more written submissions,” said Mr Salter.

“People on the southside are concerned about traffic. There have been no submissions so far from residents in Glen-carrick. I was expecting some. The road is skirting that estate on the north bank.”

The bridge will be approximately 60 metres long. It will be linked to urban distributor roads, which are all single carriage roads. Mr Salter said there are no plans for footbridges over the roads.

He would not comment on the budget for the project.

• A three-armed roundabout will link the bridge to Cleveragh Drive and Crozon Promenade, between the County Council offices at Riverside and Doorly Park.

• There will be another roundabout and a new road, running in a northerly direction along the bottom of Ardaghowen/Rathquarter Hill just behind the tree line on the lake shore.

• Another three-arm roundabout is proposed where the road will meet the Cushlough River with an eastwest link to the Ash Lane junction and a north-south link connecting to the R286 Dromahair/Hazelwood road.

• The Ash Lane junction will be rearranged to accommodate the new link road. The Dromahair/Hazelwood road will be closed off at the junction with traffic diverted via a new link road between Ash Lane and Short Walk.

• It is also proposed to rearrange the R286/Short Walk junction to accommodate the new bridge link road and possibly close the Short Walk to through traffic.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,663 ✭✭✭JoeyJJ

Interesting, I think they need a pedestrian walkway attached to it, wouldn't cost alot if they sort it out during the planning phase.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,663 ✭✭✭JoeyJJ

The road is skirting that estate on the north bank.”

Always putting us down them backstards ;)

• Advertisement

The development of Dunnes stores in Adelaide Street has been given the green light subject to 29 conditions.
    The new store will cost about €20 million.
    Features:
    -6 times the size of the old store
    -5 level multi storey cark park with room for 456 vehicles
    -The new store will be two storey's high at Wine Street and three storeys high at Adelaide street
    -A pedestrian street will exist between Dunnes and Wine Street car park
    -Includes an Off License and a Licensed Cafe/Restaurant

When completed it should tie in nicely with the proposed Development of Wine Street Car Park and the Johnson's Court Mall.

There is an artist's impression in this week's Champion

Gillie wrote:
    Major Development planned at Bruss site.
    (From the Sligo Champion:)
    €100m project earmarked for major site at Finisklin

A €100 million development project, which will kick-start the regeneration of Sligo docklands, is earmarked for a huge site at Finisklin, The Sligo Champion has learned.

The existing Bruss premises is to be demolished to make way for the comprehensive development, which will include a ten storey landmark tower and three other substantial new buildings on a 1,8144 hectares site at Finisklin Road and Rathedmond Road.

The project will include 147 apartments, one convenience store, six huge showroom retail units, extensive office accommodation, a medical centre, a pharmacy, a bar and restaurant, a health and beauty salon, a crèche and a gymnasium. Car parking facilities for over 500 vehicles are also proposed.

A lot of Finisklin is in poor order with plenty of ageing buildings.
    If this is done right it could be great for the area!

There have been major objections to this plan by the Rathedmond Residents association who have raised concerns over Child Safety during and after the construction. Fair point I guess but on the other hand the docks are in awful shape and need regeneration now.

Thoughts?

Gillie wrote:
    There have been major objections to this plan by the Rathedmond Residents association who have raised concerns over Child Safety during and after the construction. Fair point I guess but on the other hand the docks are in awful shape and need regeneration now.

Thoughts?

I can't really see the childrens safety being comprimised that much.

I can't really see the childrens safety being comprimised that much.

In fairness the Ursuline College (Secondary School) is right beside this new development and the children would have to pass by it each day. There would also probably be a significant increase in the volume of traffic in the area.

Having said all that surely the developers have taken this into consideration?

Gillie wrote:
    In fairness the Ursuline College (Secondary School) is right beside this new development and the children would have to pass by it each day. There would also probably be a significant increase in the volume of traffic in the area.

Having said all that surely the developers have taken this into consideration?

For some reason I kinda forgot that the ursline was near there :o I'm sure there is something they could do as it is in need of some development down there.

Of course there is but people just say no outright when it comes to development in Sligo.

Gillie wrote:
    Of course there is but people just say no outright when it comes to development in Sligo.

Yeah it's a bloody joke so it is. Just think of all the employment and money this would bring to the town.

Well in fairness there are a few developments of late that are lying idle!
    I think we need to fill these places first!
    In partiular:
    -Office building on the corner of Hoburn St.
    -New apartments/Units on Connaughton rd.
    -Citygate
    -Cleveragh Retail park

As I said before the only thing worse than being underdeveloped is being too developed and not having these buildings filled!

What is happening with the new O'Connell Street shopping centre, it was meant to open in March, this was it last week:
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/magnumlady/513705435/

• Advertisement

My mother seen people polishing the windows. I'd say it might be open late Summer or early Autumn? I miss Sasha, can't wait 'till it's opened again

Advertisement