Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sligo - News and Views

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,078 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

magnumlady wrote:
    I see on the front page of The Champion that the new shopping centre will be open in August.
    I can't say I'm too impressed with the shops listed that will be there:
    Peter Mark, H. Samual (which we already have), more clothes shops and
    coffee shops.:(
    The only shop that I'm looking forward to is Virgin.

That's a pretty "meh" list. Virgin is alright but nothing special.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,895 ✭✭✭✭Basq

That's a pretty "meh" list. Virgin is alright but nothing special.
    Whoa whoa.. stop the lights!

Someone has finally answered my prayers and put a decent CD / DVD store in Sligo .. Virgin is pretty good. The Sales and Deal Of The Week are typically very good in there though!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭tuppence

Gillie wrote:
    By the way tuppence. Was driving from Manor to Sligo "the back way" and seen the apts at St. Angelus. Sweet Jeebus! What were they thinkin?

Such a monstrosity! Nearly feckin crashed when I saw it!

Absolutely, It looks like some poor lorry driver actually went off the road last week, twas on the paper. Wonder was it for the same reason.
    I had friends over from New Zealand this week and they were dying (and I couldnt stop them) to go on lough Gill cruiser. If you thought it was bad from the road you should see it from the lake up close! My friends were aghast at the how it got there too. (I really feel for the driver cos he hates it as well.) I was fit to jump overboard before the end. The architect should at least compensate the poor driver of the boat for post traumatic stress disorder having to witness it every day. Driving a tube train would become a more attractive propostion.

Anyway since you guys ar in the know about the Champion, how often do they do their letters to the editor section out of curiosity. I presumed it was weekly. Am I wrong or is it there and has the glare of that yoke damaged my eyes.:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,640 ✭✭✭Gillie

basquille wrote:

Someone has finally answered my prayers and put a decent CD / DVD store in Sligo .. Virgin is pretty good. The Sales and Deal Of The Week are typically very good in there though!

Amen Brother!
    For too long there has been 2 (now 1) "music" shops in Sligo and there was/is very little selection or variety.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,078 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

basquille wrote:

Don't get me wrong I'm glad that a decent music store (anything compared to the shops we have now could be considered decent) is coming to Sligo but the fact of the matter is I have tons of cds and don't really buy cd's any more. I might get the odd one or two that catch my eye. A few years ago I would be jumping for joy at the sounds of this though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 35 iosfra

basquille wrote:

Third wave music is good!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 731 ✭✭✭Madge

magnumlady wrote:
    I see on the front page of The Champion that the new shopping centre will be open in August.
    I can't say I'm too impressed with the shops listed that will be there:
    Peter Mark, H. Samual (which we already have), more clothes shops and
    coffee shops.:(
    The only shop that I'm looking forward to is Virgin.

Pamela Scott (womens clothes boutique) is coming aswell. It's supposed to be a very good boutique so I'll be looking forward to it!
    I wonder will Virgin actually do the biz though as you can already buy CDs and DVDs in Tesco, not to mention in the Record Room aswell

In reference to the Accomodation at St. Angela's college.
    If you click on the following link and look at the flash image on the top.
    http://www.sasr.info/accommodation.htm

Thoughts?

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭Iompair

I was looking at some pictures of the new shoping centre and saw an artists impression of the winestreet carpark entrance.

This artists impression did not include a 2 storey grey box as is currently located directly in front of where the shoping centres entrance will be in the carpark.

Any ideas if that warehouse/shed is a permanent fixture?

Strange one! That was apparently built to house foodstuff while the new mall was being built. It is now for sale and is adverstised as "perfect for storage..." or something like that.
    I can't believe they would leave that thing sitting in front of the flashy new entrance to the Mall!?!?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,659 ✭✭✭magnumlady

Well I've heard it all now! I thought they were going to move that!

Walked by it this morning! It looks pretty permanent!

On another note. I walked by the O'Connell Street side of the Mall and had a look in. Looks quite impressive! Some really nice lighting used!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭JIZZLORD

i't just a prefab structure, it'll be gone in no time.

then why is it for sale???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭JIZZLORD

it was built for storage when the building was going on, things like that can be taken down in a week or so.

I know but again why bother selling it???

On another note the Western Distributor route has gotten the go ahead from the Borough Council so its full steam ahead.

It's thought it will be completed by 2009.

It was interesting though. They debated and discussed it the other day.
    Cllr. Jimmy McGarry had to get legal advice regarding this road because his house is affected by the route the road will take.
    Under the "Ethics" laws he was not allowed to vote on it or take part in meetings about it. Source: Sligo Champion.

Thats good news for anybody living on Larkhill road. It'll get all those Artics and Building Supplies trucks off it.

Larkhill should be one way anyway!
    Road is way too narrow for those trucks.

I'd guess why they haven't cut out comercial vehicles already is due to the distributor road coming on stream in the next couple of years.

Its rediculous the size of the trucks using that road though.

I see from the Sligo Post that we are going to get car parking ticket machines, that will be a lot better then those silly scratch tickets. The amount of times I've scratched the time in the day place, mind you thats probably me rushing.
    Its got to be better for tourists as well.

• Advertisement

Yep. They are in place!

Badly needed! Only thing I wonder about is if they cater for 20 or 30 minutes!
    In other towns where they have these machines you don't have to pay for a full hour. Eg castlebar

Gillie wrote:
    Yep. They are in place!

Badly needed! Only thing I wonder about is if they cater for 20 or 30 minutes!
    In other towns where they have these machines you don't have to pay for a full hour. Eg castlebar

:mad:
    You cannot buy an hourly ticket in Connaughtan road! WTF! Minimum payment is €2.50!

What were they thinking! (Of their wallets obviously!)

I see they also have the meters on the Pearse Road outside the vets where previously it was free to park.

I bet they do! Not suprised!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 731 ✭✭✭Madge

Sometimes I'm glad I don't have a car yet!

By the way, shouldn't this thread be moved to the Sligo forum?
    Judging from the activity in that forum for the past while I think that its worth keeping it open?

I think so! Up to the bosses though

• Registered Users Posts: 46,098 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Gillie wrote:
    I think so! Up to the bosses though
    Couldn't be bothered - too much like work

Just kidding. Do you all feel that we should move this to the Sligo county forum?
    If the majority of you want this then I dont have a problem but we need to see how nanook feels about it also.

I feel it would be handier to have it in the Sligo forum.

All in one place kinda thing!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

Gillie wrote:
    I feel it would be handier to have it in the Sligo forum.

All in one place kinda thing!

Yeah might as well. So Johnson's court is opening next month after three-four months delay?

Advertisement