Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sligo - News and Views

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,640 ✭✭✭Gillie

Yeah might as well. So Johnson's court is opening next month after three-four months delay?

Yeah. THERES NO CARPARK!!!
    WTF!!!
    That, coupled with the statement that the County Manager made this week confirms that they
    a) haven't a clue
    b) couldn't care less

• Registered Users Posts: 3,659 ✭✭✭magnumlady

Signs were being put up on the Johnston Court building today:
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/magnumlady/846431623

• Registered Users Posts: 1,888 ✭✭✭nanook

Gillie wrote:
    I feel it would be handier to have it in the Sligo forum.

All in one place kinda thing!

so you whats gonna happen to the rest of us, all you sligoites in your own cosy little world, not socailising with the rest of us.

:):):)

nanook wrote:
    so you whats gonna happen to the rest of us, all you sligoites in your own cosy little world, not socailising with the rest of us.

:):):)

First of all we are known as Sligonians;)
    Second we don't discriminate!:D

From today Champion:

-Green light has been given to new hotel and Apartments in Strandhill
    This looks like a massive project. 130 bedroom "luxury" hotel.
    An aparthotel consisting of 61 units.
    Over 500 square meters of Retail space and underground car park with 158 spaces.

The site is at the Ocean Links hotel (across from Kelly's pub).

Thoughts?

There are a lot of objections from residents but it appears these have either been appeased or ignored!

• Advertisement

Sligo County Manager is seeking €70m from a pool of €300m allocated to the new Gateway Cities.

The money is wanted for:
    -the eastern bypass bridge across the garavogue
    -cutural quarter development at the mall
    -Pedestrianisation and city centre enhancements
    -Development of the Cleveragh Regional park

My worry is if we don't get this money will these projects suffer.

(This is the same guy who said there is no Parking problem in Sligo so forgive me if i'm cynical!)

There is massive objection to plans to turn "Fairgreen" into a 200 space cark park.

This is a green field site between MCR and Summerhill that in the past has been used for fairs (as the name suggests) and the circus.

The residents were under the impression that it would be developed into a park or something of that nature. Now they are píssed and with good reason.

To be honest its not even a practical site for a car park!! Too far from the centre of the town.

• Registered Users Posts: 46,098 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Right lads and lassies. The Sligo news and views thread is now roosting in its rightful place.

Its a good active thread as is the new Sligo county forum.

Keep up the good work.

Edit: I'll leave a redirect in the main page of the North West forum for a while until people get used to its new location.

Cheers Muffler!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,078 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Good job muffler. I was wondering if this was going to get moved.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,392 ✭✭✭TequilaMockingBird

I think the fairgreen wuld be a great site for a carpark, and frankly thought it strange that people would object. In my seven years in Sligo, I have been to one Circus there. Other than that I havn't seen anything advertised for there, I may be wrong! Maybe its thriving!

As a busness owner in the town I can't believe the lack of planning as regards parking. I don't drive, but I hear, it day in and day out, how frustrated customers are, and they are the ones that manage to get into town!

sueme wrote:
    I think the fairgreen wuld be a great site for a carpark, and frankly thought it strange that people would object. In my seven years in Sligo, I have been to one Circus there. Other than that I havn't seen anything advertised for there, I may be wrong! Maybe its thriving!

As a busness owner in the town I can't believe the lack of planning as regards parking. I don't drive, but I hear, it day in and day out, how frustrated customers are, and they are the ones that manage to get into town!

To be fair this is going to go right behind ppl's houses!
    I know that the land isn't in use but why not build a park. There are very few green areas in town and that would be a good spot for one.
    The more I think about it the more I think its a terrible place for a carpark.

People are frustrated with parking in this town but 200 spaces 5 minutes walk from the centre of town is not the answer!

By the way this is a picture of Fairgreen.

As you can see it is right behind a load of houses. Thats why ppl are upset!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,888 ✭✭✭nanook

muffler wrote:
    Right lads and lassies. The Sligo news and views thread is now roosting in its rightful place.

Its a good active thread as is the new Sligo county forum.

Keep up the good work.

Edit: I'll leave a redirect in the main page of the North West forum for a while until people get used to its new location.

Christ he's flash

:p

• Registered Users Posts: 46,098 ✭✭✭✭muffler

nanook wrote:
    Christ he's flash
    I looked at that and at first I thought you said "he flashed"

I was going to ask who told you :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 731 ✭✭✭Madge

Gillie wrote:
    There is massive objection to plans to turn "Fairgreen" into a 200 space cark park.

This is a green field site between MCR and Summerhill that in the past has been used for fairs (as the name suggests) and the circus.

The residents were under the impression that it would be developed into a park or something of that nature. Now they are píssed and with good reason.

To be honest its not even a practical site for a car park!! Too far from the centre of the town.

Yeah, but I wonder about all those people living in the new appartment blocks on mail coach road, do they have parking?

By the way has anyone seen the new building at the top of old market street and high street? Its a nice design all bricked. Is that for retail premises?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,392 ✭✭✭TequilaMockingBird

Thats going to be two retail units and apartments and offices above I believe.

Sligo Weekender:
    Tuesday, August 07, 2007

‘Transformation’ set to start in January

SLIGO Borough Council hopes that the project to transform O’Connell Street will commence in January 2008.The street will be paved and there will be brand new street furniture, lighting, and trees.Shop fronts will be coordinated to give the street a fresh and vibrant makeover.

“Consultations between the traders and the street planners are ongoing and the project will take a minimum of nine months to complete,” said Tom Brennan, Senior Engineer, Sligo Borough Council.

“What we don’t want is a situation like they had in Eyre Square in Galway. Those works took a considerable period of time to complete and they incurred a lot of problems during the work.We don’t want a similar situation in Sligo.The planning stage is crucial and it needs to be executed properly so that we will avoid those kind of pitfalls experienced by the developers in Galway.”

He explained how it would not be just a simple matter of laying down new paving, but that they would have to renew the underground services which will have to accommodate the traders. “Services such as water mains, sewers, drainage systems, phone, electricity, broadband and cable facilities will all need to be looked at and upgraded so that the street will not have to be dug up again,” he said. “We need to make sure the street is ‘future proofed’ so that there will be no problems with the street down the line. There is a considerable investment going into the Street so we have to ensure that we get it right.”

Council representatives are in talks with statutory bodies including the Gardai, Bus Eireann, the ambulance and the fire brigade.

They are also talking to the Sligo Access Committee to ensure the street will meet the needs of people with disabilities. Mr Brennan said: “Paving has to be designed in accordance with the needs and requirements of those with disabilities.For those who use wheelchairs, and those who have visual impairments or blindness. It’s important that there are clues in the paving for blind people and that the street furniture is located appropriately to ensure that they will have complete ease of access.”

About time. I think it was prudent to wait until the Johnson's Court Mall was finished. I notice that both the Bistro and McGarrigles have started putting Tables & Chairs for customers out on the street so it gives an insight into how it'll look when this is finshed!

A related story:
    Store owners say it’s been a better year for business

Tuesday, August 07, 2007

TRADERS on O’Connell Street are generally happy that pedestrianisation has been good for business.

President of the Chamber of Commerce Tony Weherly, who has a jewellers on the street, said : “People are beginning to see Sligo as a serious shopping town and the customers love the freedom and the ambience of the street.

“Saturdays have become very busy and there was a magical atmosphere on the street at Christmas with the crowds and choirs.”

He said that business has increased on the whole and traders are very happy with the system. However, he was keen to point out that the full potential of the street won’t be reached until Jonstons Court shopping centre opens.

He said people will really reap the benefits when the new shopping centre opens and when the street paving is put down.

“Also there is a plan to coordinate the shop fronts which will really add to the status of the town by enhancing it and making O’Connell Street a colourful cultural centre.”

Speaking to other traders, it seems that the general consensus is that the pedestrianisation has been a hugely positive experience for the business community.

One said: “What use were the cars in OConnell St? People were squeezed like sardines onto the foothpaths. I don’t know anyone who would revert back to the old system where people were walking right into the cars”

He added that while the traders are very happy with the new arrangement, they are keen to acknowledge that there is a major traffic issue in the town, but that it’s a separate issue to the pedestrianisation.

“The solution to the traffic problem is not opening up OConnell St again. People wrongly percieve the pedestrianisation of the street as the cause of the traffic problems. What we do need is to draw up a better plan /system for the traffic in the town and the Borough Council need to seriously take this on board because the traffic problems affect everyone.” He said that the drive from Feehily’s corner to the Wine Street car park is an unnecessarily long trek when traffic is heavy and that people are starting to take all sorts of short cuts to avoid this route.

“If everyone sat down and put their heads together we could improve the route, or even create a new one altogether”.

He believes the Eastern Bridge should alleviate some of these problems when it opens as it will run from Ballinode to Cleveragh Industrial Estate.

He also made a point that disabled parking spaces should be nearer to the street, possibly at the bottom of Harmony Hill. At the moment the spaces are located all the way over near St John’s Cathedral.

• Advertisement

The other side of the fence:
    Taxi drivers are still not happy

Tuesday, August 07, 2007

TAXI drivers still believe that the pedestrianisation of O’Connell Street was “premature”.

Christopher Fallon, secretary of the Sligo taxi owners association, said: “Taxi drivers are avoiding Castle Street and John Street because of the delays and these long delays are creating long journeys and higher charge rates for customers.

“It is the customers who are suffering due to the premature pedestrianisation of O’Connell Street. Sligo Borough Council put the cart before the horse and that is the reason for the build up of traffic.”

And he said the proposed Eastern bridge over the Garavoguie should have been constructed before any pedestrianisation of O’Connell Street.

“They should have built the Eastern bridge at Doorly park before closing O’Connell Street,” he said. “The quicker that bridge is built the sooner the traffic problems will ease.”

Mr Fallon feels a large burden would be lifted if the Sligo Borough Council were to open O’Connell Street to traffic at night.

“What harm would it do to open O’Connell at night time? Considering little difference has been made to the street itself so far.”

Don't think there would be any good in opening O'Connell street to traffic at night. The majority of users would be (and were) petrolheads in Honda Civics and the like.
    I would be more concerned about emergency services getting through but AFAIK if they have to get to the Hospital in a hurry they head up Bridge Street.

Thoughts?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,659 ✭✭✭magnumlady

How on earth are they going to pave the street and put furniture in with all those delivery trucks using the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭jwb1

Going up (from Cork) on Friday to see Avishai Cohen play at the Sligo Jazz Festival. Staying in Clarion Hotel. Will arrive around 5pm, gig is at 8pm so would like to get a pint and some food beforehand. The gig is in the Hawks Well Theatre. Anybody care to recommend somewhere?

JB

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭slavigo

Am, to eat:

http://www.bistrobianconi.ie/ (Very nice Italian restaurant)
    http://www.coachlane.com/ (I've never been but I think they've won plenty of awards. But does this usually mean a fancy spread but an empty looking plate? Has anyone been?)
    http://www.belfrypub.com/ (The restaurant is actually called the Embassy Rooms, you'll see reference to it on the website. The belfry then does pub grub.)
    http://www.fiddlerscreek.ie/ (I think they also do good pub grub.)

I think I've also heard good things about the restaurant in the glasshouse.
    http://www.theglasshouse.ie/

All the above are usually quite busy, so I'd recommend a booking.

There are a other places, anyone else with some info? Or good bad stories about the above?

To drink:
    Really depends what your looking for. The Hawks Well is about 5-10 minutes walk on the centre of Sligo town. And there's no pubs around it. Although there is one inside. If you've got time to spare then maybe try some of the following.

Note: For some reason, when the summer hits, Friday night in Sligo can be hit or miss. It's as if everyone holds off for Saturday night. There are still people around but nothing like Saturday night for some reason. Although, you could hit a busy one.

Busy, main stream and town centre:
    Belfry, McHughs, FiddlersCreek.
    Busy, slightly alternative and town centre:
    Shot the Crows, The Left Bank, Mc Garrigles.
    Quieter, still nice croud and town centre:
    Mc Loughlins, Connollys (maybe).

All in all, even a wee wander around will throw something up.
    Follow the river and see what you see. Failing that take a short walk on some of O'Connell St, Castle/Grattan St and you might find something that tickles your fancy.

Can some of you guys, back up some of my recommendations or even better, might know better than me and a well dispensed "Stay well away from there" might also be helpful.

Enjoy your trip to Sligo. Other than that, the only other advice I could give, is leave you Cork jersey at home. We're still a little sore :)

• Registered Users Posts: 43,895 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Here's my 2 cents and add in one or two of my own:
    slavigo wrote:
    http://www.bistrobianconi.ie/ (Very nice Italian restaurant)
    Over-priced for what you get but tasty food nonetheless.
    slavigo wrote:
    http://www.coachlane.com/ (I've never been but I think they've won plenty of awards. But does this usually mean a fancy spread but an empty looking plate? Has anyone been?)
    Wonderful food and service - my new favourite restaurant.

You'll pay a bit more for it but the presentation and the gorgeous food itself is worth it. The "melt-in-your-mouth" steak and chips are gorgeous - but the chips are a bit non-traditional (i won't spoil it) but worth it!

Lovely pasta and seafood dishes too!
    slavigo wrote:
    http://www.belfrypub.com/ (The restaurant is actually called the Embassy Rooms, you'll see reference to it on the website. The belfry then does pub grub.)
    Haven't been into the Embassy Rooms since they did it up but last time i had food there, it was tasty. But reports from there have always been inconsistent.

Pub grub has improved in my opinion - as The Belfry pub food was never my favourite. Simply because they put far too much on the plates, i've a big eater but the amount they used to load on plates used to dull my appetite. Was there for Sunday lunch a few times recently though and it's very tasty!
    slavigo wrote:
    http://www.fiddlerscreek.ie/ (I think they also do good pub grub.)
    Fiddler's is very reliable for a great bit of steak but i've been less down my many of the chicken dishes (Chicken Chow Mein is very dry etc.).

Still recommended for the steak alone.
    slavigo wrote:
    I think I've also heard good things about the restaurant in the glasshouse.
    http://www.theglasshouse.ie/
    Yeah, think it's called 'The Kitchen'. Never eaten there. Had a look on the menu last time i was in - very fancy cuisine and not a lot that i'd be racing to have.

I, however, am attending an afters of a Christening there on Saturday. Think it's buffet food mainly so i'll let ye know how that fares.

Would also like to add in:

Caesar's (near Fiddler's Creek and next to Four Star Pizza) - if you're a fan of seafood or pasta, you won't go wrong in this place. Got a 3 course meal in there and 2 bottles of wine with it for about E40 a head.

Oh.. and regarding pubs - if it's Guinness you're after, try Shoots The Crows (great trad and fantastic pints) or Connolly's (great pints but lacking in atmosphere.. just my opinion!)

Otherwise, i recommend Fiddler's Creek or The Belfry. Both have a steady mix of young and new most weekends.
    slavigo wrote:
    Enjoy your trip to Sligo. Other than that, the only other advice I could give, is leave you Cork jersey at home. We're still a little sore :)
    Ha, how true. Also a tip if you do bring it, stay away from around the 4 Lanterns at around 3am with it on you..... just a tip! ;)

I'd need a week to cover all those spots....the Sligo tourist board need to be paying ye for all this!

Forgot to mention a Nightclub. The Velvet rooms.
    Class spot IMO.
    €12 but well worth it.
    Was recently voted the best nightclub in Ireland I believe!

Have fun!

• Registered Users Posts: 43,895 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Gillie wrote:
    Forgot to mention a Nightclub. The Velvet rooms.
    Class spot IMO.
    €12 but well worth it.
    Was recently voted the best nightclub in Ireland I believe!

Have fun!
    Yep, was in Velvet last Saturday... only my 2nd time in there since it opened!

Not really a night club person (more of a late bar person), but it is quite impressive!

Miles nicer than Toffs and Envy anyways - you pay a tenner into either of them so the €12 for Velvet is well worth it.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,078 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

I was only in the velvet once and I was a tad drunk at the time so I don't really remember that much of it but of what I do remember it was good.

• Advertisement

OK....we did the Sligo thing and here are my thoughts after spending my first ever night there:

Jayzus lads....it's a brutal drive from Cork in one go....6 hours with no stop....had more sense (and time) on Saturday and stopped off in Galway on the way back.

Coach Lane for food....excellent recommendation. The decor and location wouldn't inspire but the food (and service) was top class....very reasonable prices too.

Hawkswell theatre is a nice size with friendly staff.....the gig was superb....one of the best I've been to in years.

Fiddlers' Creek....very nice what you've done with the weir area by the river....Fiddlers' reminds me of McSwiggans in Galway about 15 years ago (that's a compliment by the way)....relaxed vibe....didn't get to try out the Left Bank but it looked kinda nice.

Clarion Hotel.....only OK.....more 3* than 4* (as advertised)....only saving grace was the gorgeous Eastern European staff....

Plenty of taxis.....easily available...

And, in all fairness, what's that godawful glass building down by the weir....all yellow and orange light....it's a bit of an eyesore.....

But, overall, thumbs up to Sligo....thanks for the pointers.

JB

Advertisement