Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

worst Drivers

• 08-02-2007 12:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭

Im probably going to get a lambasting for this. I drive all over the country and see alot of different types of drivers on the road. But i have to say that the worst drivers i have come across seem to be from The Blackrock, Foxrock, Leopardstown and Deansgrange in dublin.

anyone have their own opinions?

Anyone have thier own experiences?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭Heyes

helpme wrote:
    Im probably going to get a lambasting for this. I drive all over the country and see alot of different types of drivers on the road. But i have to say that the worst drivers i have come across seem to be from The Blackrock, Foxrock, Leopardstown and Deansgrange in dublin.

anyone have their own opinions?

Anyone have thier own experiences?

How do you know where the drivers are from ? Or are you saying that those locations are the worst ! cause i find it hard to believe that they would be the worst in the country ! Ive never had a problem with any of those areas, it normally along the motorway where you have the smart ass's flying lane to lane and causing the problems.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 264 ✭✭Plissken1

I dunno about that, but I find that people who have been driving for a long time in this country feel that they are exempt from using their indicators, or any basic form of communication, to let people know what they are going to do next. its like a big game, where you have to guess the persons next move. It always seems to be experienced drivers, they just cant be arsed indicating, in the new BMW 5 series that they purchased after selling the second home for 500k even though its only really worth 200k. :D

Oh and tailgating, they love their tailgating especially on the Naas Dual Carriageway. It should be recognised as a national
    sport, because we are better at it than Soccer.

Gotta admit over the past year or so i seem to have lost all ability to use an indicator heehe.... im always told i would fail the test if i did it today... only got it 9 years ago... clearly been downhill ever since heehe...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭helpme

Heyes wrote:
    How do you know where the drivers are from ? Or are you saying that those locations are the worst ! cause i find it hard to believe that they would be the worst in the country ! Ive never had a problem with any of those areas, it normally along the motorway where you have the smart ass's flying lane to lane and causing the problems.

Yes just in that area. i would know where the drivers are from.

your all right abou the indicators. It does my head in. also the people that are queueing up to get on or off the m50 and the guy that blockes the whole left lane to skip all the cars!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

Heyes wrote:
    Gotta admit over the past year or so i seem to have lost all ability to use an indicator heehe.... im always told i would fail the test if i did it today... only got it 9 years ago... clearly been downhill ever since heehe...

Well if you can't do simple things like use an indicator you clearly shouldn't be on the road.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,406 ✭✭✭stooge

Coming from the north I'd say drivers down south are generally worse - there are so many people on learner licenses who havent a clue how to drive. Add that to the number of ignorant taxi drivers in dublin, the great number of idiots who use the fast lanes on M50/M1 for a Sunday drives and the number of farmers in clapped out volvos or land rovers who drive whereever they want.

I know you'll probably say in border regions that northerners cause most crashes but I'm giving an honest opinion having driven in the north and south. The state of city centre roads in the south doesnt help either - potholes/three lanes merging into 2 without warning etc....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,360 ✭✭✭Archeron

helpme wrote:
    Yes just in that area. i would know where the drivers are from.

your all right abou the indicators. It does my head in. also the people that are queueing up to get on or off the m50 and the guy that blockes the whole left lane to skip all the cars!!!!

Worse is the muppet that lets him in at the top thus justifying his doing this in the first place.

If I had to pick a single subsection, I would have to say that 100% of all female black and white minstrels are the worst drivers I've ever encountered. Admittedly, I've only ever met one, but thats a 100% failure rate from my point of view.

KTRIC wrote:
    Well if you can't do simple things like use an indicator you clearly shouldn't be on the road.

Yup Yup Yup.....:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭stipey

Gotta admit over the past year or so i seem to have lost all ability to use an indicator heehe

heehe? How much fun for you!

Thanks to some twat like you changing lanes without indicating or checking his mirrors/blind spot I came off my motorbike (making bits of it and myself) a few weeks ago. If he had at least put his indicators on I could have anticipated the move and acted accordingly.

And another thing - try to turn the indicators on a couple of seconds before you actually perform the maneuver. They are intended to signal intent not the actual execution of the move. Flicking them on half way through the turn is little use to anybody - at that stage we know you are turning because we can see you doing it, I don't need a blinking orange light to tell us.

stipey wrote:
    heehe? How much fun for you!

Thanks to some twat like you changing lanes without indicating or checking his mirrors/blind spot I came off my motorbike (making bits of it and myself) a few weeks ago. If he had at least put his indicators on I could have anticipated the move and acted accordingly.

And another thing - try to turn the indicators on a couple of seconds before you actually perform the maneuver. They are intended to signal intent not the actual execution of the move. Flicking them on half way through the turn is little use to anybody - at that stage we know you are turning because we can see you doing it, I don't need a blinking orange light to tell us.

Firstly i am not a twat !! :rolleyes: , secondly hope your alright after your accident. I may have said i do not use my indicators enough which is fact... i am however very aware of my surroundings, when i dont use my indicators there tends to not be anyone around me , i do indicate when i am changing lanes and when i am turning corners, and no not mid turn ! .... i just ment when i said the above statement when there is no one around i tend not to bother.. yes i should but hey there ya go

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,360 ✭✭✭markpb

I'm going to get lambasted for sterotyping too but taxi drivers are my bane, as a cyclist. Not all of them obviously but enough of them are so overly aggressive that they win this award :)

They drive in cycle lanes, stop in advanced cycle stop boxes at junctions and roll constantaly at red lights. I've seen a few go through red lights well after they've changed because they think it's safe to do so. They rarely indicate, accelerate to overtake and then cut in suddenly (no indicators) to pick someone up and, my personal favourite, pass out at speed and with no distance to spare, usually in bus lanes. They're all tiny gripes but if you're cycling alongside them, they make for some dangerous manoevers.

Yes, yes cyclists are evil too (the backlash will begin soon...) but duty of care does play a part.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭MontgomeryClift

Anybody driving a BMW. Yes, all of them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,527 ✭✭✭Naked Lepper

in my personal opinion i have noticed that most black female drivers and elderly drivers are a problem on our roads, often worse drivers than L plate drivers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,076 ✭✭✭✭event

stooge wrote:
    Coming from the north I'd say drivers down south are generally worse - there are so many people on learner licenses who havent a clue how to drive. Add that to the number of ignorant taxi drivers in dublin, the great number of idiots who use the fast lanes on M50/M1 for a Sunday drives and the number of farmers in clapped out volvos or land rovers who drive whereever they want.

I know you'll probably say in border regions that northerners cause most crashes but I'm giving an honest opinion having driven in the north and south. The state of city centre roads in the south doesnt help either - potholes/three lanes merging into 2 without warning etc....

thats comical from a northern driver

the majority of the ones i see on the M1 have no qualms at driving at 90MPH.
    The will flash the light at you, tailgate when you are in the overtaking lane

generally i hate to see them on the roads

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,406 ✭✭✭stooge

event wrote:
    thats comical from a northern driver

the majority of the ones i see on the M1 have no qualms at driving at 90MPH.
    The will flash the light at you, tailgate when you are in the overtaking lane

generally i hate to see them on the roads

at least they are using the overtaking lane for overtaking...and not for a sunday drive at 30MPH like a lot of idiots down here.

Nevertheless, yes, a lot of northern drivers drive way to fast knowing that they can get away with a fine and no penalty points if caught. Being honest though I don't like to take the risk, either with mine or anybody elses life, so stay within the speed limits.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,463 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

helpme wrote:
    Im probably going to get a lambasting for this.
    Naaaaaa, no one would ever do such a thing! We all love to overgeneralise without a rigourous traffic study to support our opinions. It makes for grand discussion on these boards, which we all participate in now and again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,395 ✭✭✭Marksie

well, since the majority of my driving is in laois i would have to say they are pretty crap drivers.. laois plates too.

Very consistently, unless its the same driver with umpteen different cars:
    Roundabouts, signal laft/no signal. Left hand lane...going right.
    Traffic lights: what red light?
    Roundabouts again: going around the wrong way.
    Parking: anywhere across your drive, two deep.
    Stopping.. anywhere anytime, no signal... especially to let someone out of a side road when the main road is quite clear and you are doing 25mph etc.

But i suppose what coloured it for me was:
    Car, laois plates: coming at me as i was overtaking a lorry.
    BUT i must make clear.. before you wonder... i was on the motorway :).
    So he was coming at me in the fast lane

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Are you also told that someone will crash into you by mistake one day?

You should be..
    Heyes wrote:
    im always told i would fail the test if i did it today... ..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 752 ✭✭✭Lorax

Heyes wrote:

Stupid ****in idiot, the amount of times Ive nearly crashed at roundabouts because fools like you not indicating where theyre going, which exit theyre taking etc :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: GEt OFF THE ROAD

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,511 ✭✭✭sioda

As a cyclist I think driving in general is getting worse. Indicators are ornaments for most. Sure once they know where they are going why would you need to know.

Plus the amount of L drivers who cant drive for peanuts.

I also find a large majority of foreiginers driving here have no notion that rules of the road even exist.

I dont think its a localised thing its coutrywide. Why cant we have some decent method of drivers education inthis country

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

I'm only going to say this once over the next week.
    Attack the post and not the poster.

Next time I see even an inkling of personal abuse, someone will be banned.
    markpb wrote:
    I'm going to get lambasted for sterotyping too but taxi drivers are my bane, as a cyclist. Not all of them obviously but enough of them are so overly aggressive that they win this award

They drive in cycle lanes, stop in advanced cycle stop boxes at junctions and roll constantaly at red lights. I've seen a few go through red lights well after they've changed because they think it's safe to do so. They rarely indicate, accelerate to overtake and then cut in suddenly (no indicators) to pick someone up and, my personal favourite, pass out at speed and with no distance to spare, usually in bus lanes. They're all tiny gripes but if you're cycling alongside them, they make for some dangerous manoevers.

I once saw a taxi driver break a red light. I got a good look at him as his car was pushed sideways along the road, across traffic islands, by the truck I was in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭galah

sioda wrote:
    I also find a large majority of foreiginers driving here have no notion that rules of the road even exist.

As opposed to the Irish, who all know of, and abide by, the Rules of the Road at all times, because their driver education was so great, right?

But I agree, some 'foreigners' (at least the ones that can easily be spotted as foreigners due to their foreign reg) simply don't care about the rules, since they can't get the points (and don't get the point, either, if you excuse the pun...)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Actually I find foreigners (Germans and Scandinavians) better drivers than the Irish. Indicating, planning, braking in time, letting people out etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,527 ✭✭✭Naked Lepper

galah wrote:
    As opposed to the Irish, who all know of, and abide by, the Rules of the Road at all times, because their driver education was so great, right?

But I agree, some 'foreigners' (at least the ones that can easily be spotted as foreigners due to their foreign reg) simply don't care about the rules, since they can't get the points (and don't get the point, either, if you excuse the pun...)
    please dont start getting all politically correct on this one as i think its plain to see that alot of people who appear to be of african descent driving in ireland are very bad drivers... we all know it!

plenty of ****e irish drivers as well but theres alot more irish driving obviously

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭galah

and what makes you think that those drivers "appearing to be of African descent" were not born in Ireland and learned their driving here?

One thing to be over-the-top PC, completely different thing to judge people by their appearance...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭deman

julep wrote:
    I once saw a taxi driver break a red light. I got a good look at him as his car was pushed sideways along the road, across traffic islands, by the truck I was in.

:D:D:D:D:D:D
    Good on ya!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

Roundabouts, signal laft/no signal. Left hand lane...going right.

this really pisses me off

one time i approached a roundabout and waited for traffic to clear. car in the left lane not indicating, me in the right lane indicating right. nothing coming from the right so off i went and that stupid **** cut in front of me to go right. what some people do on the roads is amazing. funnily enough she was driving a 5 series BMW. think they own the roads some of them

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,039 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

Dont know if the areas quoted by the OP are any worse than anywhere else. I find that the bigger the car, the less likely the indicators will be used. :D

My big complaint about drivers in this country is their inability to cope with roundabouts. (its not as if roundabouts are rare FFS!)
    you have one set of drivers who will indicate right no matter what exit they're taking.
    Another set that indicate left no matter what exit they're taking.
    another set that dont indicate at all cos they reckon it'll only confuse the others on the road.
    And of course those who dont indicate because they've a big car and couldnt be arsed really.

Oh, and the 45kmph dirver on the 120kmph road. Get outa me way fool!!!!:mad:

That said am I a great driver with 100% adherence to the rules of the road. Doubt it somehow - in fact I've yet to meet anyone I'd describe as an excellent driver.

EDIT: My wife told me tonight I'm a crap driver, and I regularly fail to indicate. Crap, I am human after all........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭Car Mad

i dont know bout ye but driving in wexford is the pits the amount of speeding down there is unreal you could be doing 70mph and some fella would try and overtake and then cut you of when there coming back in causing you to brake for the fun of it i would say.Its as if the brake when overtaking and like to leave about an inch between them and you coming back in.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 565 ✭✭✭free2fly

I just emailed the OP to a friend of mine from Foxrock. This was his response :D "We're not the worst, we own the roads and we require respect from other drivers!" :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

Anybody in a BMW/Mercedes
    Anybody with a "DL" reg - it doesn't mean Donegal, it means "Doesn't Look"
    Taxi Drivers - the whole fvckin lot of them
    Yellow Reg cars - UK I think?

I don't have a problem with learner drivers. Sure there are some of those "boy racer" dipsh1ts out there, but they'll eventually end up wrapped around a tree or in 30 pieces across the road.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭MikeHoncho

If you are a good driver you will always be aware that at anytime any other feckin eejit on the road will do exactly the opposite of what they should be doing. This in my opinion is the only way to keep safe. Dont take it personally but if you are driving a car I automatically presume that you are a bad driver. This my friends is how I keep alive. So to answer the question the worst drivers on the road are anyone but me. But you should pressume i am a bad driver if that makes sense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

DarkJager wrote:
    Sure there are some of those "boy racer" dipsh1ts out there, but they'll eventually end up wrapped around a tree or in 30 pieces across the road.

Fingers crossed :D

The only people on our roads I have a problem with are the elderly, and boy racers.

Lorax wrote:
    Stupid ****in idiot, the amount of times Ive nearly crashed at roundabouts because fools like you not indicating where theyre going, which exit theyre taking etc :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: GEt OFF THE ROAD

Do yourself a favour and read ALL the posts before you reply !!! :rolleyes:

deman wrote:
    :D:D:D:D:D:D
    Good on ya!
    I wasn't driving.
    I've actually given up driving for my own safety (and because I don't really need a car at the moment).
    I did crash into someone breaking a red light once, but the person I hit just drove off. It wasn't a bad crash. I just tipped off the back of the other car. I suspect the other drivewr was drunk.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭Mrs. MacGyver

People who do not indicate exiting roundabouts or change lanes without indicating (the amount of ytime i've had to break suddenly at the poulavone roundabout in Cork)

My 2 neighhbours, both n late 50's drive in the middle of the road, just cause you have a little micra/corsa dosent mean you are invisible!!!

Young 30 something drivers in big cars of a german variety...one nearly killed me...literally. We drive on the left here!

Dublin Drivers who run the lights by the Ulster Bank on the quays in the morning, taxi drivers being the worst offenders. Unless yer colour blind red means STOP!!!

end of rant :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭Mrs. MacGyver

MikeHoncho wrote:
    If you are a good driver you will always be aware that at anytime any other feckin eejit on the road will do exactly the opposite of what they should be doing. This in my opinion is the only way to keep safe. Dont take it personally but if you are driving a car I automatically presume that you are a bad driver. This my friends is how I keep alive. So to answer the question the worst drivers on the road are anyone but me. But you should pressume i am a bad driver if that makes sense.

I do the same, but sometimes things happen so fast you cant do anything (i.e. no hard shoulder to hide in when someone veers across the road to hit you head on) I view everyone on the road as a potential hazard, it keeps me really alert!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭rogue-entity

Drivers in general are bad, it doesnt make a difference weither they are dublin-lets-try-and-outrun-the-luas-ers or waterfordians. I have witnessed so many near-misses, its not even funny, then again, I know I am far from an excellent driver, I know that I tend to speed a little and I have made the odd error in judgment that have nearly resulted in a crash, but fortunatly through my own good reflexes and those of the other drivers, this has never happened, and I have learned from my mistakes.

Now, the bane of my driving life are fracking Taxi drivers, ignorant sh1tes some of them are. I once saw one drive straight in front of an Artic when pulling straight out of the Train station at Plunkett Roulette. But then again, I have also seen some auld fella in a large Audi run a red light at the Paranell street junction turning right, straight in front of another truck which fortunatly was able to brake in time. The other big one is people not indicating.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭LundiMardi

Lorax wrote:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055049144 :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭logonapr

It has to be anyone driving a car with a TS reg no. Don't know what it is about Tipperary South drivers but they manage to hold up traffic as they hog the centre of the road far more than any other drivers. Have heard others observe this phenomenon as well.

please dont start getting all politically correct on this one as i think its plain to see that alot of people who appear to be of african descent driving in ireland are very bad drivers... we all know it!

If you think the're bad here, you ought to see the way they drive in their homeland;)

Regarding African drivers, I have had the pleasure of being briven by a Nigerian hackney driver twice over the past few weeks.
    Not only is he a good driver, he is also a friendly guy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Ok here's mine.

First off, I've over 20 yrs (accident free) driving in the Defence Forces both here and oversea's so I think I'm well qualified to pass judgement on some people.

1. In the past few year's African's have gone straight to number ONE. Shockingly bad.

2. Middle aged women.

3. LT, LV, PL, RM reg plates terrify me!. (Eastern-EU plates)

4. Bus and taxi driver's, gurrrrrrrr. I appricate they've a living to make, and passing a fare (taxi driver) might mean the difference in making money this hour or not not, BUT, gimme a break.

5. Cyclists, I hate them.

Finally, BOGGER'S!.

Oh. Eastern Europeans.
    Read the court reports in your local paper. Full of Eastern Europeans up for speeding, no license, no tax, no insurance, dangerous driving etc. In my local rag, the numbers are roughly equal to Irish offenders.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Terry wrote:
    Oh. Eastern Europeans.
    Read the court reports in your local paper. Full of Eastern Europeans up for speeding, no license, no tax, no insurance, dangerous driving etc. In my local rag, the numbers are roughly equal to Irish offenders.

Considering there's far less East EU driver's than Irish what does that say!.

The Irish know where the cops are usually located.

Oh yeah, I was talking to a retired Garda detective earlier today and he told me that things have changed for the cops. He is now a taxi driver. He was pulled for doing a U-turn, told the cop that he had just recently retired, cop told him that it didn't matter and fined him €80 & gave him 2 penalty points. His son in now a cop and no strings were pulled there either.
    His daughter and son in law were also caught in the same place twice on the same day (seperate incidents) for speeding and again no strings were pulled.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

More annoying stuff:

Lane zig zaggers. They gain about 50 feet and then hold up everybody behind them as they try and swap lanes again.

Even worse, people who pretend they are going right at a roundabout before overtaking you at speed and going straight through.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭beanyb

I think the criticising of learner drivers is a bit unfair. Everyone had to learn at some point. People forget that they were just as useless when they started to drive! And the L plates are there to warn you of the poor driving, so it's not like it should be a shock!

People who dont indicate on roundabouts drive me insane. Very nearly had a crash on a roundabout yesterday because of some idiot not indicating. Not fun.

Tailgating, ugh. Clearly I dont need to explain why that's annoying! But it's even worse when someone in a SUV does it. I drive a small car, so when they're behind me their lights are always directly in line with my rearview mirror and totally blind me.

I'm not going to pretend I'm a perfect driver though. I know I do things that annoy other people on the road, as we all do really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 433 ✭✭me and the biz

I dunno maybe this was just me but when I was a learner driver with the L plates up I seemed to get hassled alot on the road, people tailgating, cutting me off etc. Was fairly intimidating sometimes

• Advertisement
Advertisement