Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

English Comparative Study

Options
  • 08-02-2007 12:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 348 ✭✭

Is it true that you are only required to discuss 2 of the 3 texts when answering your comparative question?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

There's two options, one is two texts first, then compare the third against them, and the second doesn't specify- basically do all three.

Or sometimes 'at least two texts', 'two texts or more', but you are still advised to do all three, and you have enough time so...

Using three texts kinda reinforces how your theme is present...or cultural context. (We haven't done general vision or literary genre..)

• Registered Users Posts: 47 Tingo

It's probably easier to do three. :) Saves you running out of things to say half way through the easy, you've got more to waffle about.

Corrupted Morals, It's essentially the same for General Vision as for theme and cultural context. We have literacry genre? We didn't do it in class...:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,715 ✭✭✭marco murphy

Do three, iam told to take no shortcuts, hows everyone getting on?

Key moments are a **** for reading in the dark

• Closed Accounts Posts: 482 ✭✭Steve01

Key moments are a **** for reading in the dark
    We were meant to be studying that book for the comparative along with Lies of Silence and Death and Nightingales. Luckily we ended up with a new teacher at the start of 6th year who recognised that the texts were atrocious and not suitable to work with. So instead we're doing The Da Vinci Code, The Bible and The Koran. Plenty of comparisons so far :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 817 ✭✭✭md99

I adore Death and Nightingales. It was never intended to be an enjoyable lead... but that doesn't make it any less a brilliant one.

Anyone doing "Witness"? A strange choice for the English course, I thought, lol. An action/adventure with Harrison Ford from the 80s... Choice material! Not that I'm complaining, it's always good for a contrast between Amish and City life...

What about "The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time?" We're doing that too, it's not a bad read either, a little dull in nature but many love it. Easy to speak about too.

If you ask me, Death and Nightingales will either be your bane or the backbone of your answer..

• Advertisement

Yeah, it has the Parnell history backround, and it's so easy to waffle on about how Beth is isolated, Beth bottles up her feelings, Beth's ending is miserable. We do the theme of struggle, and My Left Foot and Juno and the Paycock. My Left Foot has NO political context, I'm there making it up..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 348 ✭✭analyse this

the reason i ask is that i hav done a killer essay on the father-son relationship in Babylon and My Left Foot...but now im getting a bit worried about leaving out Juno and the paycock... but i just dont know how i can do an in-depth analysis of the father-son relationship in that text!! considering there is none. i know that you could discuss the absense of father-son relationship but there is a very limited amount i can discuss on the topic!

Johnny and Jack kinda bond in their laziness/dependence on Juno's abilities..same opinions, both condemn Mary..?

hmmmm...good point! thanks! ill see what i can do:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 817 ✭✭✭md99

Yeah, it has the Parnell history backround, and it's so easy to waffle on about how Beth is isolated, Beth bottles up her feelings, Beth's ending is miserable. We do the theme of struggle, and My Left Foot and Juno and the Paycock. My Left Foot has NO political context, I'm there making it up..

Wasn't MLF based during the war?

As regards D&N... You're right about that, I always found it easier to dicuss Winters than Beth though. His life is so much more dramatic. Much more has happened to him...

Beth is more of a one dimensional character, mostly centred around her hatred for Billy and her desire to see him suffer. We are only given a brief glimpse of her attitude towards her mother in the second chapter... quite moving but not enough to work with!

Winters has so many layers, and if you ask me he got a very raw deal. People tend to jump the gun when they hear of how he kissed his (non-biological) daughter "not fatherly"... I'm not excusing this behaviour but there's two sides to the matter that need to be examined here.

His wifes infidelity and her tragic death set him off to become to alcoholic mess we witness. But who's to say how he behaved before that?

• Advertisement

Nope, moreso 50's. I said his community would have been effected by mass migration to England etc..

We do almost nothing on Billy, except for his problem with Beth's illegitamacy and how he comes in at the end and Beth has no choice but to marry him etc. It's all about Beth's struggle y'see.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭glenroe2006

We did Witness, Lies of Silence and Sive. Don't really love either of them but theme of religion is easy as is Cultural Context.

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭nick23

We did Lies of Silence, Witness and Death of a Salesman. All unbearably terrible apart from Death of a Salesman. At least that's bearable. Our Theme for all three is the struggle of the individual

the reason i ask is that i hav done a killer essay on the father-son relationship in Babylon and My Left Foot...but now im getting a bit worried about leaving out Juno and the paycock... but i just dont know how i can do an in-depth analysis of the father-son relationship in that text!! considering there is none.

Could you read a different text by yourself and do that instead? I'm doing a different theme, so I can't really suggest one, but in the Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night, there's a father-son relationship if you wanted to read it that way. The book is short and simple enough so it wouldn't be too much effort.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 201 ✭✭Spank

I done all 3 of my texts in the comparative, although it only asked for 2. Wasn't thinking, talk about making life hard for yourself.

Tingo wrote:
    Could you read a different text by yourself and do that instead? I'm doing a different theme, so I can't really suggest one, but in the Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night, there's a father-son relationship if you wanted to read it that way. The book is short and simple enough so it wouldn't be too much effort.

actually i've read that book already on my own so it shouldn't be too hard!! thanks for the idea:D

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭WildCardDoW

Did Death of a Salesman, Witness and Silas Marner. Meh, I didn't mind any of them, our theme is moral choice. And the cultural context is the outsider. Fairly easy to recognise, all the main characters are outsiders and there are obvious choices in each text.

actually i've read that book already on my own so it shouldn't be too hard!! thanks for the idea:D

The only other text I could think of that had father-son relationships was Wuthering Heights. I figured The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Nighttime was the easier option. ;)

Good luck with it.

Advertisement