Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dark Tower...

Options
  • 08-02-2007 1:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 640 ✭✭✭

Used to be a huge King fan, although I haven't picked up a new book of his for a good few years (unless its in the bargain bin). The Dark Tower series WAS a great set of books way back....

Once the 3 new books were available in paperback, I bought the boxset of the original 4 books and all 3 new ones... (in the meantime avoiding all forums etc on the series) and set out reading them all from the start.

First four books, still brilliant... then book 5, enjoyable, but couple times went uhoh (as in not liking where the story was going).... in book 6 tried my best to read around his self congratulary flatulence. Now I'm halfway through the last book and I'm dreading finishing it. On three seperate occasions have already said a big 'FU to SK', said out loud that is.

Is it just me or has he completely ruined an epic adventure story that could posibly have rivalled LoTR? PS no spoilers please as still need to finish the last one.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

I did think it got weaker towards the end and for a few days after I finished it I was disappointed but I still think he finished it well with those three books. I think the three being released together was a problem, I think the huge gaps between the previous episodes helped build the tension and allow time to digest the story.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 keeffe2001

I think the last book was never going to be as good as those preceeding it. The Song for Susannah and Wolves of Calla were amazing books and it was never going to live up to it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 313 ✭✭Ho-Hum

I'd have to say I was more than a little dissapointed with the last three books but thats not to say they weren't good books. King just couldnt reach the high standards he reached with the first four.

Advertisement