Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AO or SF?

Options
  • 08-02-2007 1:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭

I'm changing back to .22lr and was thinking of getting a new scope as well.
    I'd have to get somthing with adjustable parallax.

I prefer an AO - much easier to adjust when shooting standing up with the rifle unsupported - which is the way I shoot most of my rabbits.
    I hate the way grit and dirt gets into it though - and it's like a pepper mill grinding away.

I find SF to be very awkward unless your shooting off the bipod - which I don't do much anymore.

What do ye think?
    Any reasonably priced scopes out there with better sealing around the AO?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭Double Barrel

Lurcher, I also favor AO for offhand and close work ..... a Swift 2-7x40mm #658M.... has a wide field of view.
    Or a Simmons Whitetail Classic, the Simmons "can take a beating and keep on ticking". :)
    Good seals are going to cost.

http://www.cabelas.com/

http://www.swift-optics.com/products/sporting/premium_riflescopes/658m

www.ballymountfs.com

Take a look at this link - the optics are made in the UK ?
    http://www.qualityriflescopes.com/Adjustable-Objective-orderby0-p-1-c-256.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭Umiq88

Is this a hunting gun or not?

If it is for hunting i personally prefer a fixed paralax scope. When zeroing your rifle set the paralax by adjusting the end of the scope this is done by lossening the end part and rotating the bit that holds the glass its all on threads and easy enough to do but dont remove the glass. Once thats done thighten it all up and for a .22lr with a zero at 50yards which is paralax free at 50 you have the perfect bunnie gun and you shouldnt have to worry about paralax again for longer shots you can use the fast focus but within 100yards the paralax should be minimal.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,351 ✭✭✭J.R.

I have a Simmons Whitetail Classic scope, 6.5 - 20 X 50 AO, on a .22LR. They are an excellent scope - optics are very good especially in low light.

If you search E-bay there is a brand new one for sale from the US for € 160.60, which includes postage to Ireland.

The auction ends on 14th Feb. - I think it's excellent value for such a scope.

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭thelurcher

That's the scope I have on the 22wmr J.R. - I'll probably end up keeping it.
    It's purely for hunting I want it - 50 - 60 - 70 yds is my usual distance.
    I'd like to cut down on weight and size as well - the WTC is a big scope.

I do like the range finding ability of the PA scopes but I wonder would it be as accurate if I get a more compact lower power scope say 3-12x44 compared to my current top mag of 20?

I'll check out those links too.

Thanks.

Advertisement