Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best app for changing BIOS settings in Windows

Options
  • 08-02-2007 1:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭

Ok before people jump in and start telling me to avoid software overclockers first read my reasons for wanting this software.

I work as a system admin, and while i'm debugging/configuring/installing something in work I can VNC (I use UltraVNC for this) into my home PC and run various benchmarks and stress tests on changes I made to the BIOS that morning. Thing is, once i've finished this, I can't make any further changes to the BIOS, so most of my overclocking and tweaking is left mainly till the weekend or evenings, time i'd rather have free.

So... is there a way of getting access to all my BIOS settings whilst in Windows. Personally I hate actually making changes in Windows, and VNC affords the ability to restart my machine remotely and still get access when it boots back into windows, so i'd prefer to change various values in the BIOS (like clocks and voltages) and have them apply when I reboot.

I know its a long shot but does anyone have any ideas what I could use to accomplish this? It would allow me to do all my overclocking on my home machine from work, without having to wait until I get home to change BIOS settings.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

Serial terminal via a linux box?

I don't know if it's possible on consumer gear, or normal PCs, and due to a deliver error, I haven't gotten my cyclades box in work yet, but I recall you could access the BIOS over serial.

There may be PCI add-in BMC-type cards that could let you do it.
    An alternative to soft-tweaking.

Asus/Abit uGuru lets you fiddle the bios from windows doesn't it? I suspect that's proprietary though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

You can use nVidias ntune. You can alter all manner of bios settings for overclocking using this including ram settings and voltages.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,712 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

You'd also be fecked if you got your bios into a non booting state, esp. if it left the machine running in an endless boot/restart loop with high voltage going through the components :)

Advertisement