Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

TopGear Magazine - not cheap is it?

Options
  • 08-02-2007 3:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭

This is my favourite car mag, but the price of it is shocking. Are the distributors taking the pi$$ with a €7 euro price tag? It's only £3.50 in the UK which equates to about €5.30 here. Even adding transport costs and VAT, it shouldn't come to 7 euro. It wasn't always this dear!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 294 ✭✭$Leon$

£3.50 = €5.26
    They don't pay VAT in the UK on books and magazines so add VAT @21% = €1.10
    That comes to €6.46 so that approx €0.64 for added delivery cost/profit

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭drdre

Yes it seems expensive here.I was going to buy it last week but then i just asked a friend in spar to get it for me for free.Its really a waste of 7 euro as you will only read it once and throw it away

• Registered Users Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

$Leon$ wrote:
    £3.50 = €5.26
    They don't pay VAT in the UK on books and magazines so add VAT @21% = €1.10
    That comes to €6.46 so that approx €0.64 for added delivery cost/profit

VAT on Magazines is 13.5%

Don't forget there is also VAT on shipping and delivery and tax on the profit.

Also add in the fact that an Irish magazine imported won't be paying the full whack of 3.50 GBP to source.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

drdre wrote:
    Its really a waste of 7 euro as you will only read it once and throw it away
    I guess I get more value for money with my magazines then, as I never throw them out :D
    Among many others, I have a Top Gear from 1998, and a What Car? from 1993. I think my favourite has to be a PC Plus from 1996 - there's ads in it for a CD burner - "only" £650, and £50 for a pack of 5 blank CDs!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 334 ✭✭DeBeere

Also the £3.50 that is printed on the magazine is the RRP(Recomended Retail Price)

I'm sure there are people in England being ripped off too!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭Andrewf20

I remember buying the very 1st copy of Top Gear Magazine (October 1993) near Pearse street train station. It was relatively expensive then too - over 4 Irish pounds I remember.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

I have to pay €8.60 to get it where I live.
    I'd be better off just going out and looking around the car-park. Seriously.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,725 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

drdre wrote:
    YeIts really a waste of 7 euro as you will only read it once and throw it away
    Would you not recycle rather than throw away?
    Alternatively keep it for a year or two and flog it on ebay!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,423 ✭✭✭pburns

I have lots of car mags dating back to Autocar magazines from 1959(!)

Top Gear was good in the mid '90s, these days it's pretty crap.

'CAR' Magazine was heavily revised about 4 months ago. It had been on a slippery slope for years but is now - IMO - pretty awesome. They were pretty brave - they cut out all the data stuff (the GBU) and moved it online, leaving the mag free for in-depth articles, features etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 437 ✭✭vesp

AlanD wrote:
    This is my favourite car mag, but the price of it is shocking. Are the distributors taking the pi$$ with a €7 euro price tag? It's only £3.50 in the UK which equates to about €5.30 here. Even adding transport costs and VAT, it shouldn't come to 7 euro. It wasn't always this dear!

Its another part of living in a rip off Republic. I notice other magazines as well are a rip off in Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭mikedragon32

Take it to consumer issues!

If you think it's too expensive don't buy it. Or better still, just leaf through it at your local shop! :D

I used to be an avid magazine buyer, Stuff, TTT, Top Gear, Empire and some others, now I just buy TG. Damn you to hell, mortgage!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

I used to buy ridiculously overpriced computer magazines all the time, but the Internet has pretty much killed them - good riddance too. I still can't shake my Top Gear habit though, and do buy the occasional Empire too.

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭Panda Moanium

Went into Easons todays and bought a newspaper, Motorsport News, Car Magazine, Auto Express, Classic and Sports Cars and a photography magazine.

Came to in exccess of €30 :eek:

Ouch!! :mad:
    pburns wrote:
    'CAR' Magazine was heavily revised about 4 months ago. It had been on a slippery slope for years but is now - IMO - pretty awesome. They were pretty brave - they cut out all the data stuff (the GBU) and moved it online, leaving the mag free for in-depth articles, features etc.

Would agree with you on this. The quality of writing in the revised Car is excellent. Not totally convinced about the photography though.....a little too much Photoshopped in my opinion. But a good magazine nontheless...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

I'm afraid I don't consider that a rip off. As is the case with most British Magazines it is dearer here.

£3.50 = €5.28 + Vat = €6.00 + handling to Ireland = €7 is not unreasonable. It's not £3.50 in Newry by the way it was £3.99 last month. If you think €7 is too much then don't buy it and they might reduce the price to encourage sale.

Advertisement