Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford in my opinion

• 08-02-2007 3:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 101 ✭✭

I moved to Waterford about a year ago and to anyone who hasn't realised it yet - Waterford is an amazingly fantastic place to live.
    I had no previous connections to the place, no bias, I've spent most of my life in Dublin and Kildare and here's what I think -

There is NO bad traffic in Waterford (having spent years on the M50 commuting)
    Waterford drivers don't know what yellow boxes on the road are for.
    Waterford Airport should be renamed Waterford Plane Station
    Wateford people should be careful what they wish for - the new roads/bridge will make life easier BUT will open the floodgates to the D4 mob who will cop on to the beautiful copper coast and build thousands of awful weekend holiday homes by the sea and golf courses and before you know it, Waterford will have gone the same way as Wexford and Connemara, (or Connemara 4 as it's now known).

I for one, moved to Waterford to get away from the insane life that now exists in Dublin - sleep, drive, work, spend.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭Car Mad

1.There is NO bad traffic in Waterford (having spent years on the M50 commuting)
    2 Waterford drivers don't know what yellow boxes on the road are for.
    3 Wateford people should be careful what they wish for - the new roads/bridge will make life easier BUT will open the floodgates to the D4 mob who will cop on to the beautiful copper coast and build thousands of awful weekend holiday homes by the sea and golf courses and before you know it, Waterford will have gone the same way as Wexford and Connemara, (or Connemara 4 as it's now known).

4.I for one, moved to Waterford to get away from the insane life that now exists in Dublin - sleep, drive, work, spend.

1:rolleyes: What about the dunmore road or kilmeaden ever hear of them :(
    2.Thats because we cant see them:D More paint councilers:cool:
    3,This has happened all ready hence bunmahon stradbally and tramore go back to where you came from waterford does not need you:p
    4. Fair play thanks for coming and all that :cool: But are you saying we dont sleep,drive,work or spend:eek:

Spend another few years here you will be sick of nothing to do:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

kitty_kilkenny

Excuse Car Mad, he demonstrates one of Waterfords primary failings - he's a miserable git! :D

Why on earth are you called Kitty Kilkenny? :eek:

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭Bards

mike65 wrote:
    kitty_kilkenny

Excuse Car Mad, he demonstrates one of Waterfords primary failings - he's a miserable git! :D

Mike.

surely it's not "Kitty from the City" of WLRfm Fame:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 594 ✭✭✭Tanabe

I moved to Waterford about a year ago and to anyone who hasn't realised it yet - Waterford is an amazingly fantastic place to live.
    I had no previous connections to the place, no bias, I've spent most of my life in Dublin and Kildare and here's what I think -

Waterford drivers don't know what yellow boxes on the road are for.
    Waterford Airport should be renamed Waterford Plane Station
    Wateford people should be careful what they wish for - the new roads/bridge will make life easier BUT will open the floodgates to the D4 mob who will cop on to the beautiful copper coast and build thousands of awful weekend holiday homes by the sea and golf courses and before you know it, Waterford will have gone the same way as Wexford and Connemara, (or Connemara 4 as it's now known).

I for one, moved to Waterford to get away from the insane life that now exists in Dublin - sleep, drive, work, spend.

What a wonderful post! Let's hope Waterford never ends up as bad as the hell hole of Dublin (you described). Although I do fear it has already or soon will change to some extent - for the worse.

At the risk of sounding old I miss the Waterford days of yore!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,584 ✭✭✭c - 13

mike65 wrote:

Mike.

I'm curious about this too.

Also to echo what Tanabe said its a very nice post. Maybe its because what we normally post is usually complaints its a change :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,272 ✭✭✭merlante

It is true that Waterford is a great place to live. You have to go away and come back to appreciate it though, I think. :)

The slight implication that we should back off on our infrastructure and enjoy being quaint and traffic free sticks in my throat a little bit though. Waterford is not, after all, a holiday destination for the rest of Ireland, it is, and always has been, a commercial centre, and there is nothing sadder than a commercial centre without commerce. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

Try this - any weekday morning will do: leave Farmleigh or Grantstown park at 8.30, arrive Ardkeen roundabout 8.50, arrive Rice Bridge 9.10. Not kidding!

Nothing here matches the awfulness of the M50 though (apart from maybe the above example).
    I moved to Waterford about a year ago...

Just out of interest, what brought you here?

I myself moved home in November, and so far I'm really lovin' it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,778 ✭✭✭✭JPA

fricatus wrote:
    Try this - any weekday morning will do: leave Farmleigh or Grantstown park at 8.30, arrive Ardkeen roundabout 8.50, arrive Rice Bridge 9.10. Not kidding!

Nothing here matches the awfulness of the M50 though (apart from maybe the above example).

The traffic at that time is unbelievable. Notice the difference when there's no school. Why are all the kids driven to school? Why don't they get the bus? or walk? or cycle? or at least the parents could take turns bringing them in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭christophicus

The bus is absolutley full in teh mornings thats why they dont get it. I used to get on at the leoville stop , but now it is almost garunteed that the bus will be too full and pass me by , so I have to walk up to the staop outside the hospital instead to get on. And even then everyone is squashed up to the doors, THey really need to get teh double deckers back!!

JPA wrote:
    The traffic at that time is unbelievable. Notice the difference when there's no school. Why are all the kids driven to school? Why don't they get the bus? or walk? or cycle? or at least the parents could take turns bringing them in.

Check out the picture - 8.39 on 30 November last. I actually brought the camera with me because nobody believed me that it was so bad. Of course it was completely safe to take that picture, because we were at a total standstill. It took a full five minutes to get to the other side of that roundabout.

It's true the school run has a huge effect on traffic, but I think it's unfair to scapegoat people bringing kids to school. At the end of the day, I was playing my part in that traffic jam and I wasn't bringing anyone to school.

• Advertisement

thats pretty bad alright. Do many people turn off left at the hospital or do the vast majority continue on through ardkeen?

thats pretty bad alright. Do many people turn off left at the hospital or do the vast majority continue on through ardkeen?

About half and half I reckon. Around Glenville it's slow, and then it's just a massive queue from De La Salle right down to the Tower, and then another fairly long queue on the Quay up to the bridge.

Bear in mind that I was heading up to Kilkenny for a 10.00 start (picture taken 8.39).

No idea what it's like for people turning left at Ardkeen.

We've gone a little off-topic talking about all the negatives. There are certainly positives here too. A mate of mine came down from Dublin (first-time visitor) last weekend. We parked in the Aldi carpark and walked down O'Connell St and George's St towards John Roberts Square. There was a little street market there and my friend remarked - and he wasn't joking - that we could have been in Copenhagen.

BTW Kitty, what do you think of blaas? Had you ever heard of them before moving here?

The Dunmore Road sh1t should have been accounted for when the ORR was designed, the least they can do is build a spur.

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 101 ✭✭kitty_kilkenny

Well, I didn't really mean to spark a discussion about traffic.
    I suppose I was trying to say that I believe there is a quality of life that can be had living in Waterford that has been somewhat lost in Dublin.
    I'm stunned at the comment about being 'sick of nothing to do' - what exactly is it that you want to do that you can't do here? I'm genuinely interested.

To answer some of the questions -
    My name is Kitty Kilkenny because I work in Kilkenny a few days a week (Kitty - cat - geddit?).
    I chose to live in Waterford (over Kilkenny) because of the sea, the quays, Spraoi and blaaaaaaas.
    I live out the Dunmore Road, so yes, I have been stuck in traffic manys the time, but never for too long.

mike65 wrote:
    kitty_kilkenny

Mike.

Speak for yourself mike i say it as it is:cool:
    But really there is nothing to do down here maybe head to tramore once or twice during the summer or go to dungarven and circle roundabouts all day:D
    Thats about it im afraid:(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,272 ✭✭✭merlante

Car Mad wrote:
    Speak for yourself mike i say it as it is:cool:
    But really there is nothing to do down here maybe head to tramore once or twice during the summer or go to dungarven and circle roundabouts all day:D
    Thats about it im afraid:(

Now that's just plain rubbish. What about Dunmore East, Woodstown, the Comeragh's, Ballyscanlan, Portlaw woods, Tory Hill, Lismore Castle, Bonmahon, Stradbally, Ring, etc., etc. There's a million places to go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,227 ✭✭✭JMcL

... will open the floodgates to the D4 mob who will cop on to the beautiful copper coast and build thousands of awful weekend holiday homes by the sea and golf courses and before you know it

Sure they'll all fall down the mineshafts out there, one way to get rid of them ;)

merlante wrote:
    Now that's just plain rubbish. What about Dunmore East, Woodstown, the Comeragh's, Ballyscanlan, Portlaw woods, Tory Hill, Lismore Castle, Bonmahon, Stradbally, Ring, etc., etc. There's a million places to go.

well when your living here all your life you get sick of looking at trees and rocks:mad: And im not on the planet that long:( I need a change me thinks.See you in spain:cool: (I wish):(

Car Mad wrote:
    well when your living here all your life you get sick of looking at trees and rocks:mad: And im not on the planet that long:( I need a change me thinks.See you in spain:cool: (I wish):(

So if you could have anything you wanted in the City, Entertainment wise, so you wouldn't be able to say that there is nothing to do... what would that be?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭tonc76

Car Mad wrote:

You sound like a lot of waterford's finest - forever putting down your own city/county/region. There is nothing to do no matter where you live if u won't get up off your ar$e. What I have heard over the years is the same drivel that you are going on about - "everything is cat, nothing to do, nowhere to go......."

In all honesty if it is as bad as you say it is why are you still there? Contrary to common belief the world is a lot bigger than Waterford. Who knows what you might be able to do, where you might be able to go, what you might see..

• Advertisement

Car Mad wrote:

Trees??? Where? I have not seen any decent size forests in or around waterford,although I have not looked too hard.

Trees??? Where? I have not seen any decent size forests in or around waterford,although I have not looked too hard.

well didnt the other fella say the portlaw woods:p More shops would be a start anyway (decent ones now) maybe a zoo:D The only reason im still here is because of work and thats about the best part of been here:o

If you like mature woodlands head west to Lismore/Cappoquin

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

Car Mad wrote:

Yes.....and no doubt when you go to Spain you will thoroughly admire the miles and miles (and miles) of burnt countryside also:rolleyes: . My friend - you are living in one of the most scenic counties in Ireland. A county which (as demonstrated by the discover ireland/TV3 thread) is constantly ignored and overlooked.

From the majestic Comeraghs to the beautiful Nire Valley down to the dozens of inlets and beaches - Waterford has it all. Car Mad - I'm assuming you're from Waterford. If you are you should be thoroughly ashamed. Enough people knock this beautiful area without it being attacked from within.

Maybe, in time, you'll develop what is obviously a lack of appreciation and love for your native county......something that will only come with maturity and age (in some cases;) ).

Emmmmmm..............Minaun Hill, Cheepoint (one of the most scenic forest walks in the South East); Leamybrien; Portlaw.........need I go on.:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,604 ✭✭✭deisemum

Car Mad wrote:

Often a person has to go away before they appreciate where they come from.

I'm from Galway but love Waterford. Yeah there may be the odd thing that I mightn't like but that could be applied anywhere.

Neighbours of mine from my home place in Galway came to Waterford last year for a hurling match and came out a different gate than the one they entered at Walsh Park. They'd lost their bearings and were walking around the side streets looking for their car. A couple who were in their front garden noticed the Galway colours and asked them if they were lost.

When my old neighbours said they were looking for their car the couple offered to drive them round to see if they could spot their car. When they located the car the couple invited my old neighbours in for tea. My old neighbours declined and pointed out that I was expecting them and the couple gave them directions to my house.

My old neighbours are seasoned travellers and said they haven't ever come across such hospitality and helpfulness as this other couple offered to complete strangers. Knowing my old neighbours they'll have told this to plenty of people back home.

Well done Waterford.

deisemum wrote:
    Often a person has to go away before they appreciate where they come from.

I'm from Galway but love Waterford. Yeah there may be the odd thing that I mightn't like but that could be applied anywhere.

Neighbours of mine from my home place in Galway came to Waterford last year for a hurling match and came out a different gate than the one they entered at Walsh Park. They'd lost their bearings and were walking around the side streets looking for their car. A couple who were in their front garden noticed the Galway colours and asked them if they were lost.

When my old neighbours said they were looking for their car the couple offered to drive them round to see if they could spot their car. When they located the car the couple invited my old neighbours in for tea. My old neighbours declined and pointed out that I was expecting them and the couple gave them directions to my house.

My old neighbours are seasoned travellers and said they haven't ever come across such hospitality and helpfulness as this other couple offered to complete strangers. Knowing my old neighbours they'll have told this to plenty of people back home.

Well done Waterford.

That's a smashing story.:) Best form of advertising. Word of moutyh and a little bit of human decency and courtesy. Well done to those people.

deisemum wrote:
    Often a person has to go away before they appreciate where they come from. .

that is so so true... I lived away for a number of years in the late 80's, early 90's and I appreciate Waterford all the more.. I just hope when the Motorway is built that (as was said on anotheer board) we don't have an influx of D4 building holiday homes all over the coast, as as happend in other town around Ireland

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

yes perhaps if you leave for a while and come back you will appreciate what Waterford has to offer in terms of scenery and natural beauty. I lived in Waterford for years and am in Cork now, fair enough scenery wise it's all very similar but the good think about Waterford is how fast you can get from the City to the countryside and costline. The drive from Dunmore East to Tramore via the coast is always special. A walk along Annestown in a cold windy day in the middle of winter is a must to savour the power of the waves...and top it all off with a walk along the Prom with a bag of chips from the beach Grill in Tramore. Give me that over Kinsale anyday!

• Advertisement

yes perhaps if you leave for a while and come back you will appreciate what Waterford has to offer in terms of scenery and natural beauty. I lived in Waterford for years and am in Cork now, fair enough scenery wise it's all very similar but the good think about Waterford is how fast you can get from the City to the countryside and costline. The drive from Dunmore East to Tramore via the coast is always special. A walk along Annestown in a cold windy day in the middle of winter is a must to savour the power of the waves...and top it all off with a walk along the Prom with a bag of chips from the beach Grill in Tramore. Give me that over Kinsale anyday!

yes but mind you dont get blown over by all them modified cars with loud exhausts going 5mph:D Ok point taken holiday booked for the summer hopefully when i come back i might like the place better:cool:

Advertisement