Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Battle of the Bands

Options
  • 08-02-2007 4:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭

Have the bands/dates bands are playing been annouced for the BOTB?? Supposed to be announced last Friday and it's starting on Monday but no sign of bands being informed or anything as of yet! Hard for a band to organize to play a gig if they're only given a couple of days notice what with people having jobs etc....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,885 ✭✭✭Stabshauptmann

You must be mistaken. Holly Irvine is competant and organised and Im sure she would have notified bands my now if th deadline is that close

• Registered Users Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

383818610_4e05e8b6e9_o.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭Chakar

I reckon you can email Holly at suents@ucd.ie and find out what the story is.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,130 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Yep, for some reason went ahead and paid the €30 entry fee and have heard nothing at all about it.

Edit: Fired off an email to the ents address there and got a fairly quick reply. Starts monday Feb 19th so I'm told, although haven't been given a time slot yet.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

yes, one would hope holly irvine did actually have the capacity to organise something like that

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭holland501

hmm...must have been put back a week. Nice that we were told anyway!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭fish-head

I was talking to Holly on Monday at the Kila gig and she said was starting to do all the ****e for it on Tuesday..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭Pantsless

I think some of you should try laying off Holly and appreciate the difficulty of her job. I know one of you (a poster above) in particular is pretty snide on the topic and makes pathethic comments. All I want to say is keep your comments about Holly's preformance to youselves until you have experience as an ents officer or something simular. Its not that easy organising such events .

I'd imagine that you are referring to me. To be quite honest, I have never asked the student body to pay me roughly 15 grand to do a job that I couldn't do, nor have I ever beaten better, competant candidates for the job. Nor would I try.
    I think that she is ****. There is no other word. She badly organises things, leaves things too late, makes silly mistakes, and she keeps dodging out of her responsibilities to report to council, because she knows that we have lots of complaints.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭Pantsless

Would you be willing to repeat that to her face on Monday morning not under the guise of "The-Minister" or whatever you are now down on the SU corridor and not be content to make bitchy comments at the constitutional review meeting thingy? (no I wasnt there but it was mentioned to me and i thought it was very childish... no doubt you will have a sarcastic witty rebuttle)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭dajaffa

Look lets not have this descend into another Ents debate. There have been some good events this year some bad. There have been some truly awful Ents officers who basically did nothing and this year we don't have one of them. I'm not saying it's been a brilliant year for ents, but it's not the train-wreck some people make it out to be.

So BOTB eh...? C'mon Jerome's Law!!

You're right. I won't storm down there, march up to her, and say how I feel, but if she ever asks my opinion, then I will say what I have said there (although, obviously I will soften it a bit, as I'm more or less venting here). I would never tell her that I thought that she was doing a great job, or that I thought that she was a patch on Anthony Kelly.
    As for what I said at the CSG, I can't remember exactly what I said, and I don't know exactly what Dejaffa told you, but, from memory, I think I said that if anyone brought a motion of no confidence against Holly, that I would support it. I stand by that. Ents has been nowhere near as good, or well-run, or high-profile as it should have been, and the blame rests with the Ents Officer. They have ultimate responsibility for Ents.

EDIT: I was replying to Pantless.
    Dejaffa, I haven't heard of an Ents event this year that didn't have some crisis attached. Now, I'm new to the Union, but surely its not too much to expect that most events would run smoothly?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭dajaffa

I don't know exactly what Dejaffa told you

1 It's dajaffa

2 Tada/zip/zilch/zero/nada

• Registered Users Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭Scraggs

dajaffa wrote:
    Look lets not have this descend into another Ents debate. There have been some good events this year some bad. There have been some truly awful Ents officers who basically did nothing and this year we don't have one of them. I'm not saying it's been a brilliant year for ents, but it's not the train-wreck some people make it out to be.

So BOTB eh...? C'mon Jerome's Law!!

QFT.

Anybody know who the entrants are and if they're any good?

My band - Jack of Speed are on Monday 19th February. There's a link to our bebo page in my sig... or you can check out our site at www.jackofspeed.net

Um, I dunno how good we are. Everytime you play a gig everybody tells you it was great no matter how well it went. Hopefully we'll do ok. We're kinda new, kinda. This will be our 1st UCD battle of the bands, and last. Our singer graduated last year and I'm finally graduating this year, woohoo. Actually wait... I wanna do a postgrad in UCD, I'll be stuck here for another 2 years. Damn

My band The Roof are playing. You can check us out on our Myspace site which has audio and video goodies for all at http://www.myspace.com/theroofdublin

Alternatively you can Bebo us if you are so inclined at http://the--roof.bebo.com

Dunno when we're playing yet. Alls I know is I have another gig on Monday the 19th and they had better not be expecting us to play!

fish-head wrote:
    Dunno when we're playing yet. Alls I know is I have another gig on Monday the 19th and they had better not be expecting us to play!

Email ents and tell them you can't play that night. Responded to my emails quick enough.

Email ents and tell them you can't play that night. Responded to my emails quick enough.

Well they haven't actually contacted us at all as far as I know..
    I'll fire off a quick e-mail so.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭Scraggs

fish-head wrote:
    My band The Roof are playing. You can check us out on our Myspace site which has audio and video goodies for all at http://www.myspace.com/theroofdublin

Alternatively you can Bebo us if you are so inclined at http://the--roof.bebo.com

Your bandmate [or you possibly] was in my flat Thurs night and we had a bit of an ould sing song. Small world.

Scraggs wrote:
    Your bandmate [or you possibly] was in my flat Thurs night and we had a bit of an ould sing song. Small world.

Hahaha you're joking? Mad.. That'd be Eoghan. That legally binds you to support us in the BOTB.

• Advertisement

I am with The Minister here on holly's carryon. Steve Staunton i'm sure is making what he sees as a 'big effort', yet his ability to do is job is questionable. This poor quality ents officer is just not up to the job. Her manner with regard to the SU Council (which i'm no major fan of) is arrogant and is plain unacceptable. Ents has no brand identity any more under her, in sharp contrast to last year.

About the only thing she has done (with the Erol Alkan gig) is recognising that the wider music scene extends beyond the Irish Alternative scene. However other musical styles were introduced in a halfhearted way. Inside the Rock/Alt scene there has been no killer gig this year that I can remember.

The fact that bands competing here had no date until a day or yesterday is a bit of an insult in ways - not everyone (especially when you count in things like equipment moving or time off work) can do things at the drop of a hat. Her inability to organise stuff could have cost us a few great bands.

The fact of the matter is that other people in the college are running rings around her ability to do her job. Jazz Soc for example sent an email around last night, which listed four gigs in a week. They have a proven track record of organising a decent few hours entertainment. Yet I hadn't heard about the battle of the bands until i saw it here! I rest my case.

Best of luck to everyone in the contest, each and every competitor will hopefully make this contest great.

JazzSoc for Ents!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭Chakar

Jerome's Law for BOTB!

Pantsless wrote:
    I think some of you should try laying off Holly and appreciate the difficulty of her job. I know one of you (a poster above) in particular is pretty snide on the topic and makes pathethic comments. All I want to say is keep your comments about Holly's preformance to youselves until you have experience as an ents officer or something simular. Its not that easy organising such events .
    Yes its a difficult job, imo the hardest of the sabbat jobs; but she wanted it. She lied to get it, and she deprived us of a better ents officer: Eoghan O Duinn

The ents office is being run by Skinny (Eoghan Ó DUINN), Mike Pat and QUINLIVAN. Surprise surprise 3 quinn school chaps.

Any successful SU ents event this year has had a B&L stamp on it.

Holly isnt promoting events well, she isnt organising events well, and she is ****ing up financially.

I have twice tried to ask Holly questions and offer help (postering, stewarding, anything). Both times I found her viciously obnoxious and arrogant.

Her only saving grace is that she is getting good acts, she does have an eye for talent. But so what if she ****s everything else up?!

She is incompetant, impossible to deal with, and only looking for something to pad her CV. She only got the position because shes a girl - and at that Id love to meet who ever made her election posters.

Kaptain Redeye's post says it all. In my four years here, i'd say only Gearoid Cashman was quite as bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭singingstranger

Id love to meet who ever made her election posters.
    That'd be Patrick, the SU design guy, and I'd imagine, like most Class Reps, you've met him at some stage.

Jerome's Law ftw!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭pretty*monster

Yes its a difficult job, imo the hardest of the sabbat jobs; but she wanted it. She lied to get it, and she deprived us of a better ents officer: Eoghan O Duinn

While I like and resect Skinny and think he would have been/would be a fantastic Ents officer it's not at all fair to say that Holly deprived us of him. At a stretch she deprived us of Dave Redmond. Skinny ran a very polished and professional campaign in my opinion (but that's the opinion of a loser so take it with a pinch of salt I guess) but he polled quite badly. That's unfortunate but it's hardly Holly's doing.

You're right.

Holly had every right to run and congrats to her for winning. Its just a pity democracy doesnt always return the best person for the job

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭holland501

just got the call there. The Polemics are playing on the 26th.

Check us out at:

www.myspace.com/thepolemics

or

http://polemicsmusic.bebo.com

Anyone know when the final will be?

• Advertisement
Advertisement