Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

broadband gaming?

Options
  • 08-02-2007 5:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭

What's the best (fastest, i suppose) broadband with an eye on cost, for gaming? i.e bf2 etc.
    Thanks in advance
    P.s don't mention the C word (crapwire)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

probably bt or eircom. seem to be the most stable ones anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭christophicus

its not really bandwidth you are looking for when gaming, its the latency thats more important.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭trojaneater1

its not really bandwidth you are looking for when gaming, its the latency thats more important.
    explain please????:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

explain please????:confused:
    Ping. Response time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭trojaneater1

thanks people. Much appreciated;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭qwertplaywert

you would properly need a good download limit as well

• Registered Users Posts: 994 ✭✭✭JNive

best for gaming ( taking into account interleaving / peering / stability )

1. Smart -> best for irish and probably UK due to the option of low/no interleaving, giving a ping of about 5ms to the first hop instead of 15/20ms

2. Eircom -> great international peering, medium interleaving but very stable ( by this i mean they have pops in countries outside ireland )

3. BT -> next best with international peerings ( by this i mean they have pops in countries outside ireland )

4. Magnet -> good peering in general, not quite as good as Eircom&BT however the international ping stability is rock solid for the most part, which is very important. However for Irish and many UK servers, Pings are likely to be higher than the first 3 due to the medium/high interleaving ( 35-50ms to first hop )

Advertisement