Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which University?!?

Options
  • 08-02-2007 5:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭

Seems like a simple enough question... Which university do you want to go to?

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055049951

^ Thread deals with that question, but I want to know which University you'd go to if every one had your first choice course? Let's pretend medicine in TCD is identical to medicine in UCC and UL and DCU and WIT (even if the college currently doesn't have it). Wanna do animation but wish you could do it in Galway... Heres the place to say it!

What would shape your decisions?

Would you choose Trinity because of prestige and being in the heart of the capital?

Would you choose UL because of the excellent sports facilities?

Would you choose UCC because George Boole attended? ;)

Lookin forward to seein how this turns out.

Where would you go if they all had your first choice? 82 votes

TCD
    0% 0 votes
    UCD
    32% 27 votes
    UCC
    15% 13 votes
    UL
    15% 13 votes
    UCG
    9% 8 votes
    DCU
    4% 4 votes
    Maynooth
    6% 5 votes
    Queens University
    12% 10 votes
    University of Ulster
    1% 1 vote
    Other (please specify)
    1% 1 vote

Comments

If you're doing a poll you'd better include Maynooth!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭Burning Eclipse

Myth wrote:
    If you're doing a poll you'd better include Maynooth!

Worth including for the magnificent Gunn Chapel alone :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,375 ✭✭✭fonpokno

i'd choose trinity just because the 15B goes from my house to trinity and then back! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 817 ✭✭✭md99

UCC, as before

fonpokno wrote:
    i'd choose trinity just because the 15B goes from my house to trinity and then back! :D

Bah, all the 15s have been moved back to Eden Quay :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

Trinners. Coz it's for winners, loike.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

Ah here, why was University of Dublin changed to TCD? I wanted to see the 'what's the University of Dublin?' posts! Im going there anyway, because it does the course I want, not for it's prestige tbh. Sure I could go to maynooth, it's 5 minutes on a bus or train..but it has no courses I want..

Ah here, why was University of Dublin changed to TCD? I wanted to see the 'what's the University of Dublin?' posts!

That's another thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,375 ✭✭✭fonpokno

Myth wrote:
    Bah, all the 15s have been moved back to Eden Quay :(

yes and that makes everyone sad cos they never show up anymore... but they still pass trinity! which works for me! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭Burning Eclipse

Ah here, why was University of Dublin changed to TCD? I wanted to see the 'what's the University of Dublin?' posts! Im going there anyway, because it does the course I want, not for it's prestige tbh. Sure I could go to maynooth, it's 5 minutes on a bus or train..but it has no courses I want..

Out of interest, did you read my original post?!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭Marshy

md99 wrote:
    UCC, as before
    Not aspiring to go to Irelands best no? Referring to Trinity of course. I suppose I cant expect country folk to find their way around the big city.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

Trinity of course, gorgeous period mouldings...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 schwaaaaa

Trinity strteakin ahead!!!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 950 ✭✭✭cotwold

Trinity of course, gorgeous period mouldings...

Don’t forget those cobbles, just oozing with austere grandeur that scream of superiority.

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭nick23

Yeah has to be UCD. Better facilities... better school....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

schwaaaaa wrote:
    Trinity strteakin ahead!!!:D

Yeah. that doesnt mean these people will be there next september though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,878 ✭✭✭Rozabeez

To be honest I'd LOVE to go to UL, it looks like such a good college. But there were no courses for lil old me. So TCD first then LIT.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭Attol

Trinity because I can get the bus from across the road from my house to Nassau Street a hell of a lot easier than to UCD even though it's technically closer. The 46A is the slowest bus in the world in the morning.

It has some gorgeous buildings. Really has a collegey feel to it whereas UCD is a soulless concrete mess.

The exchange programmes seem very well done and they have links to pretty much everywhere in the world which is handy since I plan to do a semester abroad.

The business courses in TCD and UCD both seemed quite similar but TCD just has more perks.

I want to move away from Ireland and I think Trinity is better known worldwide so would be more impressive on a CV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 672 ✭✭✭Pure Cork

I'll do engineering in UCD or CIT. There's an outside chance I'd go to UL but the facilities, courses, and reputation for engineering in UCD and CIT are top class. The whole idea of prestige (particularly in relation to NUI and TCD) is absolute b*ll. Then again, CIT graduates have only gone to places like Imperial and MIT(!)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

Marshy wrote:
    Not aspiring to go to Irelands best no? Referring to Trinity of course. I suppose I cant expect country folk to find their way around the big city.

Snobby post, much?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭Naikon

Dublin Institute of Technology:)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

Marshy wrote:
    Not aspiring to go to Irelands best no? Referring to Trinity of course.
    As a leaving cert student what do you base this upon? Just wondering

Well Im just basing it on the rankings of Irish universities. http://extras.timesonline.co.uk/pdfs/irishleague.pdf

• Closed Accounts Posts: 817 ✭✭✭md99

As a leaving cert student what do you base this upon? Just wondering

Haven't we dicussed this?

Ignore, Ignore!

Frost should have written a poem about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭Haven't a Clue

Marshy wrote:
    Nor can us culchie folk expect Dubs to find their way out of the big city to exotic places like Galway or Cork. Pfft.

Nor can us culchie folk expect Dubs to find their way out of the big city to exotic places like Galway or Cork. Pfft.
    Touché! I was being facetious when I made that comment by the way. I understand your sentiments but being someone who spends much of their holidays in the west of Ireland I don't consider myself one of those people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 672 ✭✭✭Pure Cork

I'm sure you realise that those league tables are a load of cr*p. If you have enough sense you'd take them with a pinch of salt.

Pure Cork wrote:
    I'm sure you realise that those league tables are a load of cr*p. If you have enough sense you'd take them with a pinch of salt.
    I dont pay any notice of them but I was asked on what I based the fact trinity is "Irelands best".

• Registered Users Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭Orizio

Marshy wrote:

This is surely one of the most ignorant elitist posts I have seen on these boards.I hope your 'trying' to be amusing.

Edit=Forget about the above.

UCC is an excellent university md99, not a concrete jungle like so many other Irish universities.I would generally avoid living in Dublin(if you live outside of the pale) and stick to one of the smaller cities.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭Haven't a Clue

Marshy wrote:
    Touché! I was being facetious when I made that comment by the way. I understand your sentiments but being someone who spends much of their holidays in the west of Ireland I don't consider myself one of those people.
    Likewise being a culchie who goes up to Dublin regularly, and has yet to get lost, I don't consider myself one of the culchies you described.

Advertisement