Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which University?!?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 348 ✭✭analyse this

Marshy wrote:
    Not aspiring to go to Irelands best no? Referring to Trinity of course. I suppose I cant expect country folk to find their way around the big city.

I'm sure I could give you a run for your money:D we're not completely incompetent u'know! lets just hope i don't end up being around you next year...assuming you can actually get there in the first place;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,374 ✭✭✭Gone West

NUI Maynooth.
    Nice and close to Dublin, for gigs or going out, or shopping, but you can live here for a fraction of the price. Campus is very big, open and nice. Good all round friendly atmosphere.

Also, Maynooth and UCG are now (as of 1997 or so) called NUIM/NUIG

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 CrazyStraighty

Go for UCC, I've switched to UL for my MA and I don't like it at all! Too far from the city so it's difficult to go the cinema or to the city centre. It would be fine if i'd never lived anywhere else but the bus service is even worse than Cork's!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 950 ✭✭✭cotwold

Orizio wrote:
    This is surely one of the most ignorant elitist posts I have seen on these boards.I hope your 'trying' to be amusing.

Edit=Forget about the above.

UCC is an excellent university md99, not a concrete jungle like so many other Irish universities.I would generally avoid living in Dublin(if you live outside of the pale) and stick to one of the smaller cities.

Is it still ignorant and elitist if its true?

And as for concrete jungles, pfft can we get someone in this forum that knows what Brutalist architecture is and has a shed of appreciation for Architecture .

• Registered Users Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

Just 'cause it's a special kind of architecture, it doesn't make it any prettier on the eye. : )

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭ZorbaTehZ

Ideally I'd like Trinity. But I cant say for sure, since I am still somewhat undecided what I'm going to do. NUIG would be second preference, really nice campus and city - or so I've heard. ;)

Marshy as per last time, your posts are obnoxious, rude and most importantly completely off-topic. Please stay on-topic as you need to realize that there are a few of us here (not least the OP) who would like to discuss these issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,905 ✭✭✭Aard

Brutalist architecture grew out of works by Le Corbusier and the likes in the 50s and generally used plain concrete.

Moi même, NUIM for its music course.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

Its a long time since I did my leaving cert but I just stumbled in here to give my 2 cents... don't choose your college based on "prestige" - its not an indication of the quality of teaching, the quality of the facilities, the quality of the friends you'll make and the fun you'll have and, trust me on this, it will be the very last thing that (most) potential employers will be looking at.

Choosing your college just based on "prestige", in my opinion, would be very misguided and pretty sad.

Goddamn, I wish I was off to college again...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭Naikon

Postgrad maybe:D

Naikon wrote:
    Postgrad maybe:D
    Did that already - have nothing to look forward to now, hehe :o

• Advertisement

Ah, I see.
    Well, maybe you could do a Doctorate(if you havent one already:p) or some other course,as the big emphises on "life long learning" these days is very evident throughout Irish Society.
    Dont know if it would have "The college factor(TM)":D

Well I only finished my Masters in October, I was thinking of staying on for a PhD but got offered my dream job so I said I'd go for that... Besides, everyone I know who's doing a doctorate complains about it incessantly. I'd love to go back to college one of the days but I have other plans for the moment.

Ye lucky bástards!
    :p

:):):)

You still have to do the leaving though. As my dad used to say "You're not there yet boy!" ;)

LOL:D
    Very True.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭Marshy

ZorbaTehZ wrote:
    Marshy as per last time, your posts are obnoxious, rude and most importantly completely off-topic. Please stay on-topic as you need to realize that there are a few of us here (not least the OP) who would like to discuss these issues.
    A bit on the slow side there if you dont mind me saying. I posted that well over a month ago.

Yet you still replied;):D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭Marshy

Naikon wrote:
    Yet you still replied;):D
    Why wouldnt I:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Trinners at all Cost :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭eZe^

Options Im considering atm are UCC, TCD, Imperial College London and University College London.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 950 ✭✭✭cotwold

Aard wrote:
    Brutalist architecture grew out of works by Le Corbusier and the likes in the 50s and generally used plain concrete.

Moi même, NUIM for its music course.

Thank god, at least one person in this forum managed to scrape an education despite Irish schooling.

Marshy wrote:
    Why wouldnt I:confused:

Maybe you would have forgotten or lost interest, either way Im only messing so dont take me seriously in this Instance;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 279 ✭✭adam_ccfc

Ucc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 817 ✭✭✭md99

cotwold wrote:
    Thank god, at least one person in this forum managed to scrape an education despite Irish schooling.

This menace once again!

Or maybe I'm overreacting. What did you mean by this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 295 ✭✭Jayeire

Ucc!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭MrMatisse

Spent 3 years at U.C.D. Complete kip. No atmosphere after 3 o'clock. In the middle of nowhere;) . Got to be a contender for worst campus in europe.

Doing postgrad at a top U.K Uni now.
    Go to the U.K if you can afford it. The top uni's are leaps and bounds ahead of the irish ones.

Irish Uni's are not that well known outside of Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 176 ✭✭bright

Trinners at all Cost :D

my sentiments exactly

• Registered Users Posts: 4,905 ✭✭✭Aard

md99 wrote:
    This menace once again!

Or maybe I'm overreacting. What did you mean by this?
    Just a shot in the dark, but he may possibly be likely to be referring to the not so amazing state of the education system in good ol' Erin.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭Blowfish

cotwold wrote:
    Why on earth do you think that architecture should be taught in the leaving cert?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 672 ✭✭✭Pure Cork

holyrood85 wrote:
    The top uni's are leaps and bounds ahead of the irish ones.

Irish Uni's are not that well known outside of Ireland.

For postgrad work I'd agree with you, but not for undergrad studies.

Advertisement