Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Alfa 147

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

Why does any mention of an Alfa on boards.ie bring out all the same crap every time, ie the (Alfa and Renaults) are crap cars because they break down.

True petrol heads all have a place in their hearts for Alfa's in particular.

But this forum is full of people who have no interest in anything else but who own a car so feel they have right to poo poo everyone elses.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,310 ✭✭✭alias no.9

The conventional wisdom is to avoid alfas and there are certainly lemons out there. I couldn't help myself at the price and have had mine, a 00 reg 156 1.8, for over a year now and don't regret it for a second. It had the timing belt and variator done and a new set of plugs when I bought it. Servicing wise all that it's needed was a bushing for the NCT (marginally more difficult than changing a wheel) and regular oil changes, all of which I've done myself. I have had some bad luck though recently, a dog came from nowhere and I hit it at nearly 60mph resulting in a €700+ repair bill (new radiator, hoses, bottom grille and a few more bits) and there was a couple of days delay on some of the parts. The only thing I'd say against the car is that it's quite thirsty around town, that said, it will do nearly 40mpg on the open road even with my right foot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 Kangaroopoo

Personally I'd rather eat **** than drive a Toytota Corolla or Nissan. I'm limited to what I can buy as I'm a/fussy b/pregnant and with a baby I need a 4 door and something with a reasonable size boot. I've always driven brand new convertibles and am really in to my cars, but with creche costs have to downgrade and get a car with above - as I'm fussy theres not much I like the Alfa 147 is a nice looking car and seems to have the best reviews out of all the Alfa models. I'd love a VW Beetle but just not practical with a chidler and am looking at some Audi A4's but I work in town and live in town so wanted something a little smaller. I also like the Chrysler PT cruiser but I think I might be the only person who does going to look at a few of those too

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

Personally I'd rather eat **** than drive a Toytota Corolla or Nissan. I'm limited to what I can buy as I'm a/fussy b/pregnant and with a baby I need a 4 door and something with a reasonable size boot. I've always driven brand new convertibles and am really in to my cars, but with creche costs have to downgrade and get a car with above - as I'm fussy theres not much I like the Alfa 147 is a nice looking car and seems to have the best reviews out of all the Alfa models. I'd love a VW Beetle but just not practical with a chidler and am looking at some Audi A4's but I work in town and live in town so wanted something a little smaller. I also like the Chrysler PT cruiser but I think I might be the only person who does going to look at a few of those too

Woa there now.

We had a baby recently, and I am actually considering changine the 147 as the boot is only big enough to carry the travel system, and nothing else.
    So choose carefully. It is plenty big for normal stuff, shoppig etc, but when you are moving a baby around and all the associated gear, it is not ideal.

junkyard wrote:
    If you look through the previous posts you'll find loads of posts looking for advice about Alfa's. You'll find loads of people for and loads of people against. If your looking for a reliable car to get from A to B without breaking the bank don't buy an Alfa. If you want a peculiar cantankerous oddball yoke that will rob you of your sanity and your wallet than an Alfa is probably what your looking for. Why some people bring such hardship on themselves is beyond me. I suppose the real answer is why so few people are buying Fiats and Alfa's new at present, sales figures have plummeted.

Every single Alfa or Fiat thread there is a stampeed to be the first to post the same crap.

Give it a rest unless you have something constructive to add. Cause it just makes you look like you don't have a clue.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭junkyard

prospect wrote:
    Junkyard, FYI Datsun are gone, just in case you have not updated that little fact to yourself yet.

/QUOTE]
    Datsun?? I don't remember mentioning them. I'm beginning to see why people buy Alfa's now, it looks like its a personality thing.;)

junkyard wrote:
    prospect wrote:
    Junkyard, FYI Datsun are gone, just in case you have not updated that little fact to yourself yet.
    Datsun?? I don't remember mentioning them. I'm beginning to see why people buy Alfa's now, it looks like its a personality thing.;)

You are dead right my friend,
    People with personalities buy alfas, people without buy ***'s
    ;)
    :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭junkyard

Depends on the type of personality.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭neacy69

i love when people ruin a perfectly good thread looking for advice by slagging eachother off

• Registered Users Posts: 658 ✭✭✭Chunks

Getting back on topic....

I bought my first car, an 01 alfa romeo 147 last Januray (06), despite people harping on about how unreliable they are. I had nothing major go wrong with it, the bigest problem was the airbag light came on and I had to bring it to the garage to turn off. Unfortunately I had to get rid of it recently but I know another 147 or maybe a GT lies in my future.

PROS
    They are sporty looking
    They have a beautiful interior
    They are very comfortable to drive
    They have good acceleration and top speed (I had a 1.6 petrol)
    They're ok on petrol
    You can get a good deal on one

CONS
    The gearbox isn't very nice (likened to pushing a pole around in a box of cotton wool....i think that was topgear)
    The oil needs constant monitoring, they use a lot of oil compared to other cars.
    The bodywork is weak in collisions
    As said before the bootspace isn't huge, but ok for everyday small stuff
    Timing belt needs to be redone every 36k as said before
    Resale is pretty pathetic

If you do deside to go for one make sure you
    Get a Full Service History
    Get at least a 6month warranty to iron out any small things you find (i had things like doorhandles sticking, electric windows going slowly, rubber seals dried out and needed replacing)
    If you do buy be prepared to hold onto it til the death or take a hit when reselling.

I recommend them highly. They look good, go fast and feel great

• Advertisement

prospect wrote:
    Woa there now.

We had a baby recently, and I am actually considering changine the 147 as the boot is only big enough to carry the travel system, and nothing else.
    So choose carefully. It is plenty big for normal stuff, shoppig etc, but when you are moving a baby around and all the associated gear, it is not ideal.

God really, well my parners jeep is useless for storage too so this has to be the main baby mobile - maybe I will go for the Audi A4 or Chrysler after all so!!!!

thank you for all your help and detailed replies at least I'm a little more informed now when I go to buy!!!

Anyone know anything about the Chrysler PT cruiser or will that start an even worse row!!!!

God really, well my parners jeep is useless for storage too so this has to be the main baby mobile - maybe I will go for the Audi A4 or Chrysler after all so!!!!

Unfortunately so.

Yeah, I borrowed an X-Trail to see if that would manage with the buggy etc. It wouldn't even fit in its boot :eek: .

Our megane tourer can fit two buggys in the boot, and still pull the tonneau cover into place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

Chunks wrote:
    electric windows going slowly

Now that you mention that, my passenger side one does that. What was the fix?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭su_dios

I've read plenty of threads on here about people's opinions on Alfas and you hear the same sort of crap from others when they start going on about cars.

Reality is if you haven't owned or lived with an Alfa on a daily basis then you simply won't get it. Opinions from others are nothing more than word of mouth. Junkyard its interesting to have a mechanic's opinion on this but you are exactly that.. a mechanic. IF the car has problems people pay you to fix it. So your experience with them has only been when they have faults(afaik), therefore its a very biased opinion.

Alfa went through a bad period.. early 147, 156 and 166. This set a bad reputation because of the amount of 156's sold in Ireland. Resale was not just down to faults either it was because the market was flooded with them when everyone decided to change cars around the same time.

Italian cars are like beautiful women.. They look great and you will love them but you know they're going to give you some hassle.

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭Hotwheels

If you are gonna buy an Alfa make sure you get a proper Alfa Mec to look it over, T-Sparks love oil, that's they way the are, and need to be kept filled...

IMO you would be better off going for a 16V Diesel as cambelt changes are less frequent, and the Torque is amazing....and servicing marginally lighter on the pocket.
    I'm on my third Alfa now (159 JTDm, amazing car) and have had no issues with them...
    here's another board that should give you loads of tips on what to watch for...take your time, there's lots of badly maintained ones about....
    Good luck with the hunt.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭zuutroy

Is it true that changing Alfa plugs is akin to microsurgery?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭RoundyMooney

Not really, to be fair, and the plugs last longer than the belts, an issue which Fiat/Alfa seem to have finally accepted.

At the risk of vindicating some posters to this thread, some happy(ish) alfisti relate their experiences, on this forum.

Caveat Emptor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

Changing Alfa plugs is simple, there's just more of them...

Changing plugs on a Subaru boxer engine is a different kettle of fish altogether!

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭Hotwheels

Is it true that changing Alfa plugs is akin to microsurgery?

No I don't think so, a well kitted out DIY'er should have no problems, having said that unless your comfortable working under the bonnet i'd leave it to a pro..you'll get loads of info here

A well serviced/cared for Alfa will give you many happy miles...They love the twisty stuff :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭zuutroy

Hotwheels wrote:
    No I don't think so, a well kitted out DIY'er should have no problems, having said that unless your comfortable working under the bonnet i'd leave it to a pro..you'll get loads of info here

A well serviced/cared for Alfa will give you many happy miles...They love the twisty stuff :)

Just heard that they were in the back, behind the manifold etc...

Advertisement