Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

FAI MARCH 24th boycott

• 08-02-2007 6:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭

lads, the only way to get rid of stan and the muppet delaney is to boycott the wales game.
    the current setup is a sham, and a full house at croke park is going to do sfa, and the FAI will only say more crap like we still got a chance and stuff.

an empty main stand at croker will get the message across

with some playcards reading " S-T-A-N--O-U-T", if someowants to hold up
    [John 3:16] after that that for old times sake, well and good;)

but clearly, the FAI wont sack stan, nor will he resign.
    so a boycott is the way to go lads.

i can even imagine stan saying after a boycott

"erm, it was difficult out there, the crowd were rather quiet, but we never gave up and we pulled through in the end, now we gottta look forward to the next game and lets hope one of the teams above us slip up"

STAN OUT!!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭Carcharodon

Can I get your ticket so if you have one, or anyone else with a ticket that wants to boycott

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

A match boycott is probably the only way to hurt the pennypinchers to be honest. Difficult to organise though as you'll always get types like the above.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

The match is a sellout so umm yeah solid plan.

kdjac

A match boycott is probably the only way to hurt the pennypinchers to be honest. Difficult to organise though as you'll always get types like the above.
    The types that want to support their national team...shame on me....shame on me....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭x in the city

yes unfortunately,
    sad clowns like that......

we are just kidding ourself, selling out croke park. BUT FOR WHAT.?

we will get ass fu**** by most sides in the world the way things are going, unless the fans do something, as the current FAI setup headed by that misfit delaney are a joke.

delaney and stan should go and do that pissup in a brewery themselves. and stay there.......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭smemon

come on, be realistic...

Boycotting a home match does nobody any favours. This happens quite a bit, we have these boycott ideas and 'silent protest' ideas, backs turned when players walk out etc...

IT DOESN'T WORK.

Realistically, you could make a big massive flag with 'Stan Out' written on it and get 2 guys to run onto the pitch with it :)

Or you could smuggle in a small amp and microphone, then get a chant going.

Or you could get a big petition going, with thousands of signatures, then get someone to give it to Staunton, possibly RTE, when they interview him.

That's about it.

The types that want to support their national team...shame on me....shame on me....
    Buying the alcoholic another pint, giving the junkie another €50...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭wba88

Theres no way ppl will boycott the first soccer math in croker, and besides the fai already have our money from it so they dont care!

well, it probably wont happen, as its a sell out/ but the EC will be on next year, Ireland wont be there and whats the point feking and blinding
    then, when we might have a chance if we act now.

Bobby robson is in no fit state to do whatever job he does, neither is stan.!
    its just a whole joke. the way things are going the lads could play the wales game without anymanager at all and probably beat them in any event.

we are the laughing stock of europe now and yet we are just content with things and do **** all...........

yes unfortunately,
    sad clowns like that......

we are just kidding ourself, selling out croke park. BUT FOR WHAT.?

we will get ass fu**** by most sides in the world the way things are going, unless the fans do something, as the current FAI setup headed by that misfit delaney are a joke.

delaney and stan should go and do that pissup in a brewery themselves. and stay there.......
    A clown, ive been called worse.
    You go ahead and boycott the team when things are not going well, that will really help us get a result against Wales, thats the main thing isn't it beating Wales.
    Stauntons days are numbered, its only a matter of time before he goes unless things turn around.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

A clown, ive been called worse.
    You go ahead and boycott the team when things are not going well, that will really help us get a result against Wales, thats the main thing isn't it beating Wales.
    Stauntons days are numbered, its only a matter of time before he goes unless things turn around.

Eh no its not. If he keeps winning he keeps his job, simple as that. for me thats not good enough, i wish we didnt equalise last night. And i hope wales give us a good sounds beating aswell.

I have absolute no interest in supporting the current national team. They have showed through their performances that they dont give a toss about the fans, so i have no intention about giving a toss about them.

Come on wales!!

• Subscribers Posts: 16,593 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

? the match is a sellout, the money is made. don't you understand that?

Eh no its not. If he keeps winning he keeps his job, simple as that. for me thats not good enough, i wish we didnt equalise last night. And i hope wales give us a good sounds beating aswell.

I have absolute no interest in supporting the current national team. They have showed through their performances that they dont give a toss about the fans, so i have no intention about giving a toss about them.

Come on wales!!
    Thats fair enough, but I am just not able to not support my national team, I would find it hard to not want to win.
    I know where you are coming from but your attitude wont change things, I want hings to improve just as much as you and I want Staunton out but I also want to win, I know qualification is out the window but with every win there is hope...

the longer we keep winning, the longer that clown will stay in charge. We have no chance of qualifying, we wont even finish 3rd.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Nunu

well, it probably wont happen, as its a sell out/ but the EC will be on next year, Ireland wont be there and whats the point feking and blinding
    then, when we might have a chance if we act now.

Bobby robson is in no fit state to do whatever job he does, neither is stan.!
    its just a whole joke. the way things are going the lads could play the wales game without anymanager at all and probably beat them in any event.

we are the laughing stock of europe now and yet we are just content with things and do **** all...........

Don't delude yourself, we are not as important as you think.
    In the last qualifying campaign Belgium escaped witha 2-1 and Lithuania a 1-0. Do you think they were a laughing stock around Europe? The answer is no because like ourselves nobody outside the respective countries cares. I doubt 99% of the Irish sporting public even knew these results happened.

We were deluded to think we'd hockey them.....that Germany 13-0 is not the norm.

By the way this is in no way a justification of the shambles we all witnessed last night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

What might be more effective is a boycott of the sponsors of the team and FAI coupled with a letter writing blitz informing the sponsors of the same.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭LostinBlanch

the longer we keep winning, the longer that clown will stay in charge. We have no chance of qualifying, we wont even finish 3rd.

More than likely 5th IMO

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

I hate to state the obvious, but if we keep winning we will qualify wont we? Isnt it the point that if a manager keeps winning, he gets to keep his job?

I think hes a complete tonk as much as everyone but thats just not logical.

Dustaz wrote:
    I hate to state the obvious, but if we keep winning we will qualify wont we? Isnt it the point that if a manager keeps winning, he gets to keep his job?

I think hes a complete tonk as much as everyone but thats just not logical.

We probaly will. But we wont beat germany at home, or the czechs away. The only thing that will get stan the sack is if we lose all of our remaining matches, are most of them at least. So thats what i will be hoping for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭shane86

Ah grow up the lot of you, for **** sake. What is your grand plan? If we get Stan out before the Wales match, theyll fly in Gus Hiddink/Martin O`Neill/whoever and save the day? Your living in a dream world. We are stuck with the current set up. We have gone too far deep to make changes. Like it or not, we have no option but to

a- Support the team and nail every match

b- Hope that the Czechs and Germans play out two goaless draws against each other, and that at least one of them gets held or beaten by an underdog (SM or Cyprus, though even that could potentially create competition between ourselves and Cyprus for the 2nd place)

• Advertisement

if we keep the muppets for the rest of the EC campaign, we are only making it more difficult for ourselves, we wont qualify anyway for god sake, you must be living in a dream world to think otherwise.
    so even if we go managerless or presidentless for a few games who gives a flying f*** ? we might as well build for the next world cup now and forget all about this nightmare EC campaign. the czechs and germans will kick our ass and theres no point being optimistic.

getting held against probably the worst team in the world is not acceptable.
    playing in front of 80,000 people for our remaining home games is just a false economy. and is going to take the pressure off the FAI somewhat when they can coo about the great atmosphere.

if they got off their asses and did some work we should have our own stadium years ago anyway and not to rely on the gaa to provide us for home games.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

shane86 wrote:
    Ah grow up the lot of you, for **** sake. What is your grand plan? If we get Stan out before the Wales match, theyll fly in Gus Hiddink/Martin O`Neill/whoever and save the day? Your living in a dream world. We are stuck with the current set up. We have gone too far deep to make changes. Like it or not, we have no option but to

but its not too late to prepare for the World Cup. the European Championships i think are over

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭hiscan

Come on wales!!
    i was saying to myself with ten minutes to go that a 1 -0 win would have been a terrible result how are we expected to beat the germans and the czechs if we can just scrape through against san marino
    i think its a bit like eriksson not dropping beckham when he wasnt performing for england staunton is also afraid to drop duff and keane they have been well below par in my opinion

daveym wrote:
    ? the match is a sellout, the money is made. don't you understand that?
    I didn't say boycotting a match that is already sold out, I said boycotting a match.
    Salvaging some pride aside, a new manager could begin preparation for the World Cup qualifiers. We all know Stan isn't good enough, giving him more games when we know he has to go, serves no purpose at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭Sizzler

To be fair I think the OP has the right idea as I said on the Stan has to go post earlier the only way to give the FAI a wake up call is to hit them in the pocket. But the reality is no matter what the feeling is here you will still see a major turn out for the game, I think the best shout might be a few banners with Stan out / Delaney out. If they have any cop on they might take a fúcking hint :D

Another few nuggets of wisdom from captain skanger

http://www.sportinglife.com/football/news/story_get.cgi?STORY_NAME=soccer/07/02/08/SOCCER_Republic_Keane.html

• Subscribers Posts: 16,593 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

I didn't say boycotting a match that is already sold out, I said boycotting a match.

The whole thread is about boycotting a match that is already sold out..

just because the croke park game is a sell out doesnt mean everyone has to go, no?
    its not as if they are rubbing their hands at the prospect of watching the finest irish side in the history of the state?
    the sooner stan and his merry men go the better. its in the supporters hands to force the shake up thats needed as its blatantly clear delaney backs stan 200%.

daveym wrote:
    The whole thread is about boycotting a match that is already sold out..
    ... and? Am I not allowed to say that boycotting a match would hurt the pennypinchers on this thread? Is it against the rules to discuss abstract ideas?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭Rudolph Claus

Whats the point in always blaming the manager? Hes not on the pitch playing so why rush to blame the manager. the players need to buck themselves up, the goals were **** too, a scrappy goal that just about found its way in won the match. Duff is seriously over-rated,,, i reckon Chelsea ruined him by leaving him on the bench and he has never recovered.

Seriously though, chopping and changing managers every year is stupid, they`re still gonna be managing the same players. Should it not be the coaches we blame even?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭Rudolph Claus

Ireland and Northern Ireland should all be the 1 team anyway cause there isnt the players to make a decent team and its just embarassing.

Bring back Jack Charlton!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

Well its the general concensus that we wont qualify anyway. so wud ya rather not qualify by a point and make it seem lik Stan did a semi respectable job, or get hammered in all the games, still not qualify, but show him up for what he is?

On the other hand, we still have hope. The hope of qualifying is what is keepin the fans going and looking for wins, even tho a small part of them wants us gettin hammered to get Stan out. Until the "technically we can qualify" possibility goes out the window, we just need to hope we get jammy and qualify.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

if 500,000 people gave €2 we could pay for him to be sacked

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

Nuttzy wrote:
    Ireland and Northern Ireland should all be the 1 team anyway cause there isnt the players to make a decent team and its just embarassing.

I doubt any Norn Iron fan would want that.... and why would they! They're ranked above us FFS!!! :( We'd just embarress them!!! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

The_B_Man wrote:

On the other hand, we still have hope.

Imo its a misguided belief that we are actually good.

kdjac

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,659 ✭✭✭The Rooster

KdjaCL wrote:
    I suppose it depends on your definition of "good", but I think we are actually good, but not "very good" !

Shay Given is a superb keeper.
    Richard Dunne is rated one of the best CBs in the Premiership.
    Ditto Steve Finnan at full back.
    We have a few young midfielders coming through, who are really good footballers. Already playing regularly with their clubs, some in the premiership. Sure, they need to add a bit of steel, and we need to pick which are the ones we should play and in what formation.
    McGeady is a big talent, that we need to learn how to harnass.
    Duff and Keane are still capable of producing great stuff - just need it a bit more often!
    And we've never had as many young strikers coming through.

Norn Iron was mentioned above, and fair play to them for their recent results, but we have far more potential.

Finally the group we are in isnt that good. Thats why we still have a chance of qualifying. Czech Rep have being going downhill steadily in the last couple of years, and are now just an average side, and as lucky as we were to get the win v San Marino, they were just as lucky to get the draw against us. There is no reason why we can't go there and win.

Wales and Slovakia are worse and we are well capable of picking up 10 or even 12 points against them. The home games coming up shortly are must wins, and I believe you'll see our players playing above themselves with the massive crowd behind them and to make up for the recent debacle. Then all going well when we come to the away games against them, they'll both be out of the running and therefore slightly less motivated.

Talking about boycotting a game, given our home games for the next year are all sold out, is just pure stupid. Anyone who wants to "make a statement" should organise a protest outside the FAI offices within 7 days.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭Sizzler

How about a nice big banner draped off the upper tier of the cusack stand
    "Stan, thanks for World cup 94, No thanks to Euro '08 GO NOW"

Obviously this can be tweaked but the core message is there :D

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭tosh_thedude

Since its a sellout....and Irish people are still gonna go... we could simply tell all Irish fans or at least get a fraction on the Irish crowd to BOOOOOooo Ireland every time we get the ball and then cheer every time whales gets it. Resulting in a strange and hostile reaction from the commentary and fellow Irish supporters... or somebody could just put a 'HIT' out on Stan the fool ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭tosh_thedude

Nuttzy wrote:

With the Way Northern Ireland are playing they'd probably beat us 5-0. :D

And yes... bring back Jack!

Mossy Monk wrote:
    but its not too late to prepare for the World Cup. the European Championships i think are over

Firstly, EC are not over, extremely unlikely yes but stranger things have happened.

It really bugs me when people say we must prepare for World Cup and more or less forget about EC. This is international football and I dont see the point in scraping the prospect of playing in the EC just because we are rubbish now.
    All an international team can do is play to its current capabilities with its current mix of young and experienced players, international teams are conttiniously building for the future but have to concentrate on a game by game basis.
    The reality might be that an international side might have no hope of qualifying and are hoping to do better in the future with a new crop of players but I think Ireland have the players to compete and qualify this time round, we may lack the right manager but still does not mean we should give up hope of qualifying.
    We cant keep on saying that we can prepare for the next tournament, the time is now and when the next championships come around the time will be then as well.
    We will always have decent players to compete no matter what structure is in place behind the scenes or at ground level, all we need is the right management.
    Fair enough the FAI needs a shake up in this regards but not at the expense of any footballing campaign we are currently in.
    Did Roy Keanes departure in our last World Cup solve anything, it just left me with alot of bitterness and resentment after losing to Spain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,115 ✭✭✭Pal

Stan has a plan.

Qualify for World Cup 2010.

That's incredibly it.
    No thought about how how this might happen
    but he will be let run with it.
    He stays until 2010 at least oblivious to his inability.
    The FAI call this a 'World Class' manager.

The state of our national team meanwhile will collapse
    (already has done).

QED

FOUR MORE YEARS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

get used to it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Some absolute nonsense on this thread. Anybody that can say things like "I hope Ireland lose", "If the team keep on winning, well then the manager is gonna keep his job" or "We should all, as home supporters, boo our team every time we have the ball" is just retarded and most certainly not an Irish fan.

It's funny how alot of the people that post ridiculous suggestions in these types of threads aren't often seen at other times.

Oh and for the OP, do you actually have a ticket for the match on the 24th? Or have you ever actually went to an Ireland match?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Q_Ball

BaZmO* wrote:
    Some absolute nonsense on this thread. Anybody that can say things like "I hope Ireland lose", "If the team keep on winning, well then the manager is gonna keep his job" or "We should all, as home supporters, boo our team every time we have the ball" is just retarded and most certainly not an Irish fan.

QFT

I cant understand how anyone could cheer for the opposing team. When San Marino scored, a couple of lads in the pub cheered. I could never do that. Hell, we could lose every match between now and the end of the qualifiers and I'd still cheer the team on. It may be misplaced faith, but its faith nonetheless.

I dont see why we should give up on qualification while its still possible, however unlikely. If people feel agrieved enough to start a protest against the current administration then by all means, but would it not be better to wait until the possibilty of qualification is nonexistent. Just because you believe we wont make it, doesnt mean that everyone agrees with you and gives you no right to undermine that very slim chance.

If anyone wants to boycott any qualifier, I guarantee there would be demand for their ticket.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

KdjaCL wrote:

kdjac
    It's also a misguided belief that we ever had a good team, yet we've qualified for three World Cups and progressed each and every time. We were shít then and we're shít now, the difference was that then; we had a top drawer manager and the players actually had some pride.

I'm with Chucky the tree. The defeat at Cyprus effectively ended our chances of qualification. The sooner Staunton is booted out, the sooner we can get a proper manager in to prepare us for World Cup.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

The defeat at Cyprus effectively ended our chances of qualification.
    Ignoring the fact that we won't qualify with Stan in charge I'd say it was the Czech match that ended our chances. Germany dropped points in Cyprus too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

eirebhoy wrote:
    Ignoring the fact that we won't qualify with Stan in charge I'd say it was the Czech match that ended our chances. Germany dropped points in Cyprus too.
    I'd tend to agree. We really should've taken the 3 points from the Czechs. One of Ireland's biggest problem in internationals has been our away form and if you can't win away from home you better make damn sure that you win your home matches. If we had've beaten the Czechs that night (and we should've) we'd be in joint second on 9 points, 1 point behind. But if my aunty had balls......

Advertisement