Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Upload speed

Options
  • 08-02-2007 6:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 546 ✭✭✭

We just got a 256k/256k SDSL Line from Esat installed yesterday. We're getting 33-35 kilobytes p/s transfer rates both ways. The fact that the Esat sales guy forgot to mention that the quoted speeds were in kilobits p/s is annoying enough.

But at this stage I just want to know what my options are. I have a fileserver in Cork that needs a higher upload speed than 35kbytes p/s, but we can't afford to get a 2mbit SDSL line.

Magnet tell me that their ADSL 2+ service offers 8Mbyte download 1Mbyte upload. But that seems like a load of rubbish to me. Even after I asked if the sales person could check, which she did, with the tech dept.

I need to get 128kbyte p/s upload if possible. 1Mbyte would be fantastic, but I know we're talking millions of euro then.

Your opinions and any options if you please :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

broadband packages are always sold in megabits. the companies just screw up on advertising or cs people just don't know the difference between bits and bytes.

• Registered Users Posts: 648 ✭✭✭Tenshot

Magnet's 2 Mb/s SDSL service sounds like what you need: About EU150 per month, and proper 2 Mb/s (about 256 Kbyte per second) in both directions. We have it at work and it does what it says on the tin...

It's the same price as their ADSL2+ 8 Mb/s / 1 Mb/s service (which I have myself).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,613 ✭✭✭Conar

If Magnet say that ADSL2 is available in your area then they're not lieing about the speeds.
    A friend of mine has a Magnet line with 50mb/s down and approx 20mb/s up. (Granted his apartment block has fibre running into it)

Go for Magnet IMO!

EDIT:
    Sorry, just re-read your thread...those Magnet speeds would be Megabit (Mb), not MegaByte (MB)!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 546 ✭✭✭exactiv

Tenshot wrote:
    Magnet's 2 Mb/s SDSL service sounds like what you need: About EU150 per month, and proper 2 Mb/s (about 256 Kbyte per second) in both directions. We have it at work and it does what it says on the tin...

It's the same price as their ADSL2+ 8 Mb/s / 1 Mb/s service (which I have myself).
    Just a few questions for you (if you don't mind :) )
    Any downtime?
    Tech desk ok to deal with? Easy to get through to?
    Any billing issues? (Esat over charged us nearly €5k over 4 years)

Advertisement