Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broadband In Craughwell, Co. GALWAY.

Options
  • 08-02-2007 6:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 164 ✭✭

:confused: My daughter has been unable to get broadband via landline about 500M outside Craughwell village. Eircom and again BT and Irish broadband all send out modems but when it came to the crunch the landline was not good enough.
    The local community BB were also unable to get a signal at the house.
    Is there any other wirless provider that covers that area of Co. Galway. ??
    Thanks for help

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

order a new line and bb in a bundle on the eircom website, by ordering a new line with broadband (in one package ) it will cost her €130 just for the line but she cancels the old , useless line.

if they cannot deliver a line capable of broadband she pays nothing , simple.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

speedbird1 wrote:
    Is there any other wirless provider that covers that area of Co. Galway. ??

http://www.airwire.ie

We cover most of Co. Galway and Craughwell and surroundings are no problem.

Kind regards,
    Martin List-Petersen
    Airwire

• Closed Accounts Posts: 164 ✭✭speedbird1

Thanks for the info and delighted to hear there is an alternative wirless provider.
    Thanks again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 285 ✭✭pointofnoreturn

These guy's also cover your area,
    http://www.athenrybroadband.com/

But unfortunately installation is expensive, likewise are all small broadband providers.

But unfortunately installation is expensive, likewise are all small broadband providers.

Group broadband schemes and local rural providers often don't have the budget to subsidise the equipment in the same degree as the big players. Especially because the amount of customers they pick up in the rural areas is significant less than the bigger ISPs who don't care about rural areas.

There are two choices: Move to a place where you can get cheap install and pay double or tripple the rent for your house/flat or live in the rural areas, have comfort and peace and pay the effective installation fee (once off).

I really don't get, why people always look at the installation fee. Would you please compare what you get after you get installed. Most bigger ISPs will CAP and limit you as much as they can.

The only real calculation is the total cost of ownership over the minimum period given the usage. And if you go over the cap, it can either get expensive or you get forced to upgrade to a more expensive package.

/Martin

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 285 ✭✭pointofnoreturn

Yes true, the total cost has to be justified, but people must understand that you will never!! get the low cost broadband as you will do in major urban city’s. And in Ireland the situation is worse, we are too small of a country with too little interest in broadband to make any setup viable in the rural side.

The Government need to realize this.
    Besides that, this is more of a topic for Ireland Offline.

We are too small of a country with too little interest in broadband to make any setup viable in the rural side.

Sorry ? To little country with too little interest in broadband ? You must be kidding. People are screaming out for broadband in the rural areas and the rural providers that have managed to scale are overrun by people. Our installation schedule is around 3-4 weeks, sometimes we barely make the months installation promise, mostly because of the demand that's out there. So far we've around 250 customers on our network and we're just even a year in operation.

Take for example Denmark, where I'm originally from: 5-6 mio. inhabitants, 99% broadband coverage, 8 mbit DSL even in most rural areas. If you're to far from the exchange, they'll just don't offer you the top packages. When the telco market was openend, the first thing Telia (swedish telco) did was dig fiber down along the freeways.

The problem in Ireland is not the size or the demand. It's the attitude of the government and the lack of people taking the challenge to make it happen.

Kind regards,
    Martin List-Petersen
    Airwire

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 RichardEm

Sponge Bob wrote:
    order a new line and bb in a bundle on the eircom website, by ordering a new line with broadband (in one package ) it will cost her €130 just for the line but she cancels the old , useless line.

if they cannot deliver a line capable of broadband she pays nothing , simple.

Sponge Bob, I'm in a similar situation, saw this and tried calling eircom. They said that I could order a line and they could install it but couldn't guarantee that it was broadband capable until after installation and a line test, regardless of the outcome of which I would have to pay for the installation. Now it could just be that the girl on the line was sticking to a prepared script and didn't know what she was talking about but can you provide more details on how to achieve this? I get the feeling calling eircom customer services without very explicit instructions just won't work.:mad:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

did I not tell you to ORDER THROUGH THE WEBSITE , had I meant you to ring them I woulda told you to ring them :(

Advertisement