Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Speaker wiring question.

Options
  • 08-02-2007 7:09pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭

I'm not sure what question I want to ask. I'll put it this way, I was wiring a radio up there yesterday, it was a newish radio into an oldish car and someone had made a mess of wiring another radio in before at some stage and none of the wires were marked so it wasn't just pluging in block connectors. Anyway I wired up the live and neg and all and wanted to check if I had it done right so I connected the front left speaker wire and turned the radio on but I got no sound from the f/l speaker. So I was wondering do all the speaker wires have to be connected to the radio before any of the speakers will work, because they are in series or whatever, or should I have been getting sound from the one speaker I connected to the radio. Also would it make a difference if I connected, say for instance, the front right speaker to the left rear speaker input or are they all interchangable?

Thanks for the help, sorry if the posts a bit hard to follow.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Connecting the F/L to the F/R connections won't make any difference to the stereo - it will just destroy the audio image. All speaker connections are interchangeable, but controlling them from the HU will be a nightmare if they are not correct.

Are you using ISO connectors? What is the make and model of the car and stereo?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭slipss

Tahnks for the response, Crosstown. It's a mazda 121 and a Goodmans digital radio with casette(not sure of the specific radio model). Yes I'm using ISO connectors but the old radio that was removed before I got my hands on the car was not, I presume, wired using ISO connectors so all the wires were just a bunch of ungrouped un colour-coded wires that I think had been soldered directly on to the previous radios wires. I managed to trace the input, ground, memory ect and seprate out the speaker wires and traced the front left and front right, (I think). Thanks for the response on interchanging the speaker wires, much appreciated. Any idea about wether one speaker should work when conected without all of the others conected? I just ask because I'd like to make sure I have everything traced and connected right so far before I start tracing the rest of the speaker wires and connecting them to the ISO block I have. Thanks.

Advertisement